HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ron Householder (Read 11,064 times)
collin_Jackson
Spectator

Ron Householder
Feb 25th, 2013 at 7:46am

Our long time frend and one of the longest SCCBC members in the club died on Saturday.
Ron was suffering from ALS and died with family on Saturday.
Ron raced formula Atlantic at Westwood in his #6 cars.
  - Cars included his Lotus 2021, Brabham 29, Brabham BT40, March 77, Ralt RT4 and lastly his
   Swift DB4.
Ron lived to race and raced to live. He was a huge figure in my life as I crewed for him for many years. He paid for my college. He encouraged me in my racing and he was always there for me even hough he lived in Portland Or.
Ron will be missed.
We will be having a service for Ron in Portland, come if you like but know that Ron never wanted a fuss, he would prefer you raised a glass in his honor, or attended one more race.

God speed Ron
Your loving freind Collin

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: Ron Householder
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 2:50pm

My first exposure to Ron Householder was at Westwood in the early days. He came (I believe) with a FIAT 600 (probably modified) and later on converted that car into a sportsracing car. That would be about 1961 or so. Collin can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ronnie absolutely blew away the F/A guys by qualifyling on the pole for an Atlantic race at Westwood. I'm not sure if his time held up. Tom Johnston may have the records. He was definitely quick.

Ron was always a cheerful and helpful guy and a hoot to be around. He definitely going to be missed by a lot of people.

RIP, Ron.

IP Logged

collin_Jackson
Spectator

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 8:26am

Mike

Yes it was an Abarth version of the Fiat.
Ron did sit on the front row at the player's Pacific Race at Westwood, I believe it was 1973.
But it was in second place to Al Lader. (Ron purchased Al's car that fall and I now own it).
Ron spun off in turn one of the first lap of that race.
Ron was blindingly fast but not always in 100% control.
    -Ron liked to quote Jimmy Clark's saying of "IF you can screw up and make a corner you were
       not going fast enough"
Ron eventually purchased a March 77B in which he set his best ever time at Westwood in, a 1:01.1.
I believe this is the fastest Atlantic time ever for a non-pro at Westwood.

Ron was fearless and was definitely my hero growing up. I will miss him until the day I die.

IP Logged

collin_Jackson
Spectator

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 9:04am

Does anyone know Jim Blackwell's phone number or e-mail?
Or his brother John?
Jim is a Formula Atlantic Driver out of Seattle, and a good freind of Ron's

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 11:56am

Let me troll my sources in SCCA NWR. They'll have the information.

Mike

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:25pm

Sherri Masterson will be e-mailing you James Blackwell's information shortly.

Mike

IP Logged

collin_Jackson
Spectator

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 11:06am

Ron's Service will be in Portland on the 23rd of March.
Time and place TBA

Collin J
604-880-4353

IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 12:36pm

I was saddened to hear of Ron's passing. My first introduction to Ron was the 1976 Formula Atlantic race at Westwood (I think it was sponsored by Players, but will admit to having fuzzy memories about such details). I worked with Rick Neyedli overseen by our turn marshal Roger Salomon. Since Ron Householder (sponsored by Householder Realty) would race anyone for a corner, and sometimes didn't stay on track) Rick had nicknamed him 'The Off Road Racer', a name he lived up to that weekend. To be fair, since there were heavy rains that May weekend, Ron was not the only one that 'fell off the track' at the entrance to turn 3 during the race (rick and I were stationed at the exit of turn 2), however Ron was a frequent visitor. By the end of the race I had lost track of how many times I waved the yellow, and we had a small collection of damaged Atlantics in that location (some having piled into each other while sliding in the slick conditions).

A few years later Ron chastised me for continuing to call him 'The Off Road Racer', admittedly by that time he was under better control through corners, in fact I think he ran several sessions without going off the pavement. Ron always was very quick and a favourite of us turnworkers.

I was extremely fortunate to have a chance to sit beside him talk to him at length about the old Westwood days (and other racer subjects) at the SCCBC banquet a couple of years ago.

Ron was one of many colourful characters that made Westwood (and other Conference tracks) interesting and enjoyable.

The attached photo of Ron was taken at Westwood in the summer of 1977. A higher resolution version of this photo is posted on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200828280812365&set=o.30072214259&type....

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

collin_Jackson
Spectator

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 9:34am

Ron's offocial notice of death.
Attached you will note the time and location of the memorial/wake.
Hotel rooms are available for this event at $89/night.
I will be taking names of those interested in attending as there will be a buffet and drinks.
Contact me at 604-880-4353 0or email at cjackson@bmandm dot com.
We will also treasure any stories about Ron you wish to send along with me in writting.

"We are sad to inform you that after nearly a year of struggling with ALS Ronald Householder passed away on February 23 , 2013. Ron was born to Clare and Zella Householder April 17, 1938 in Detroit Michigan.  After several moves the family settled in  Oregon. Ron was a graduate of Oregon State University where he earned a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He retired from DEQ as 1st director of automotive emissions.

Ron married Claudine Westling in 1958. Together they had a passion for racing. Ron raced  Formula Atlantis’  in Canada, California and Oregon. He was also a regular participant in the Portland Rose Cup Races starting in the early 1960‘s. Claudine was his impeccable, detailed record keeper and supporter.  Over the years he won many trophies and awards. He was an active member of Sports Car Club of America, Cascade Sports Car Club-Conference and British Columbia Sports Car Club.

A celebration of life will be held March 23, 2013 at the Monarch Hotel in Clackamas, Oregon from 1 PM to 4 PM.  Address: 12566 S.E. 93 rd Avenue, 503-652-1515 or 1-800-492-8700 or www.monarchhotel.cc. The Monarch can be reached from I-205 (exit 14), West on Sunnyside Rd, then left on 93 rd at the light, travel about 2 blocks to the hotel on your left. A buffet will be served during the event.
Remembrances can be made to your favorite charity."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print