Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie car question (Read 8,599 times)
Goldsby
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Newbie car question
Aug 26th, 2013 at 6:30am

Hi everyone. This is a newbie question so bear with me please. I am wanting to build a fairly competitive car for IP3 (scca rulebook calls it ITA) and was thinking of a Honda Civic Si. They are cheap to buy and maintain and have a large aftermarket following. I am just wondering if it could be a competitive car? What do most people build for this class? As far as i read the rulebook i should be able to do an aftermarket ecu with tuning, upgraded brakes (as long as it mounts to factory mounting points), a header and exhaust, set of coil overs and springs, sway bars, tires and wheels, and of coarse all the safety gear.

The goal is to complete the car over the winter for driver training in the spring. I have lots of experience in off road racing and am a mechanic by trade. I also fabricate and design tube chassis ultra4 race vehicles just to name one type. Any help to get me set in the right direction would be appreciated.
I look forward to meeting you on the paddock and the track. Cheers Daryl.

IP Logged

2muchfun247
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Richmond B.C.
Re: Newbie car question
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 6:49am

A Honda  is a great car to race at mission ,. IP3 is one of the largest and most competitive classes we have. I would do a crx, if you want to run up front, they are a little lighter  than the civic . , You should fit right in at the track with your mechanical and fabricating back ground .As far as your car to class rules  , I think you are bang on , I run IP1 , but I believe the rules are the same as far as mods go . I am sure someone from IP3 can verify that for sure . The sccbc is a great club and everyone is so nice ...it is a family atmosphere and everyone is always ready to lend a hand !  Todd #124

IP Logged

Goldsby
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 8:53am

Thanks for your input.
I was looking at the scca spec sheets and the weights between the civic and crx are close. Is there really a big difference between the two chassis other than the factory brakes (wich are allowed to be upgraded as i read the rule book).

IP Logged

ip2gsr
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 9:02am

Daryl

You read the rules!   Clearly you are thinking ahead…..Nice!

I think you have got it nailed.  There is lots of great support in the Honda community at-large and more specifically in the local club.  Last race weekend IP3 had 12 entrants and 10 where Honda's of one form or another. 
- 5 CRX's
- 3 civics
- 1 del-sol
- 1 Integra GSR

If you think your hobby might take you to other tracks and sanctioning bodies or you like RWD then you might also want to consider two other classes that have support locally but also great fields south of the border.  Spec Miata or Pro3.  Both are a “spec” series with a very restrictive rules set to place the emphasis on driver development. 

The spec Miata community is also strong with large fields both at Mission with 5 cars last race weekend.  The class allows you to run the same car down south in NASA and SCCA and ICSCC.  If you are so inclined, you can also show up at the run-offs, which is like the super bowl of club racing. 

I have a bit of a personal bias but the other group to consider is Pro3.  This is based on the BMW 325 (E30). In ICSCC we have the largest fields of any of the classes which means you pretty much always have someone to race with.  The typical entry count is between 20-30 cars at each event.  Locally the class is in its first year with 3 cars last race weekend but there are at least two more cars in process that should show up shortly.  When ICSCC comes to town next weekend, you can expect the count to be 18-24.  (Not all of the US competitors will cross the border)  In the US series there is also contingency money from Toyo, Northwest BMW, Bimmer World, 425 Motorsports and Giots that all sponsor the series.  You won’t get rich but it does take the edge off. 

One other thought might be to look at the Honda S2000.  In IP2 I believe there are three locally and they are clearly very fast.  Oh... oh yea....   then there is the open wheel cars....  Formula Vee has an outstanding group locally....

IP Logged

ip2gsr
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 9:19am

Wow....just hit the 2000 max char limit....  anyway

If you have time wander the paddock next weekend you should.  All of the classes will be well represented and it is a great time to talk with the drivers and see what others are doing.

Good luck with whichever you decide!

Dave

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 9:54am

You are a mechanic by trade (I am) you should consider Formula Ford.
You could build your own from scratch, that's perfectly legal, however you can buy a competitive car for $8000-12000.
They are faster than anything mentioned so far, cheaper to maintain and VERY competitive!
Check out www.formulafordbc.com and talk to any FF driver at the weekend; they will tell you there is nothing like driving a 100% purpose built fully adjustable race car! Smiley
Come to paddock #24 and sit in my car, you won't want to get out!

FYI I'll have my IP3 Civic there (paddock 23) too so you can sit in that also Wink

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Goldsby
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:58am

Thanks again for the info. Im using this project to teach one of my good friends kids something about cars in general and to keep him out of trouble by focusing his energy in a positive manner as well. I will probably come out to the race early sept to see what its all about. I appreciate all of the information.
I have actually met you a long time ago i believe Keith when i ran my chevy sprint mini stock at Kent raceway. I guess its called Agassiz Speedway now. I was 16 at the time so 15 plus years ago lol.

IP Logged

ip2gsr
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2013 at 5:12pm

although it hurts to say this.... Keith is 100% right...   

The Formula Ford crowd is another great choice and there is no substitute for a purpose built race car.   They have the power to weight of a 5l mustang and he Re&Re on parts and suspension is so much easier.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 10:21am

Goldsby: The last century at Agassiz, they were fun race days! I ran an Acura in the Hornet group about three years ago, still a blast with 16 cars bumper to bumper Shocked
Dave: I've marked the date on my calendar 'the day Stennar said I was right' Wink

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 9:28am

Just a note for you.  If you are taking driver training in the spring please use a street car if possible.  un sorted race cars can be a problem with reliability, can be hard for instructor and student to get in and out of  and are noisy inside which makes communication inside the car difficult.

RStec
RDC

IP Logged

Tire Clinic
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Langley, BC
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:32am

Any idea when the spring driver training dates will be announced?

Scuderia Tire Clinic Racing
778-874-5870

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 1:16pm

January, once the schedule is firmed up with BC Custom Car.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:33pm

Traditionally the D/T is in March, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. weekend.
If you buy my car now (for not much more than it will cost you for a cage) I will include a passenger seat and seat belts, you'll be ready to go by the end of this month  Grin!!

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print