Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Virtual Rivers Edge Roadcourse (Read 29,949 times)
Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Virtual Rivers Edge Roadcourse
Sep 28th, 2014 at 11:38am

Hello!
As this is my first post here, i want to introduce myself. my name is Peer, age 27, and i am a sim racer and trackbuilder from germany, to be more precise i live between the Nürburgring and the Hockenheimring (both less then 2h away). For several years now, i love racing online, as my budget and time are to limited to race a real car. the benefit of racing on the PC is, that i can race all over the world, if the track already exists in the virtual world, but there are many many missing.
Long story short, i learned how to build tracks myself, and already built some tracks. For example a street course in Shanghai, where the DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters, german touringcar masters) raced in 2010. Yes, its a bit weird that a german series raced in China, but they really did. So there is a small youtube clip of 2 laps on the virtual track i build, first one from the outside, then onboard. See the third post, as i cant post links with fewer then 3 posts Smiley

To make it look not to much of spam, small split here. Sorry that i.. bypass your limit that way!  Smiley

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Re: Virtual Rivers Edge Roadcourse
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 11:39am

So a small jump from China to Canada: A fellow trackbuilder from Victoria B.C. showed me his prototype of the Rivers Edge Roadcourse. In the past half a year, i put many hours into the project, remodeling stuff, improving textures etc., to make the track as best as i can. I am reaching a point, where i cant really improve it any more without more pictures or information from... you!
There are many videos and pictures of your track, but often i can only see a glimpse of what i propably need to see, to be able to modeling it. Small example: I know there are 2 sponsor banners outside the exit of Greg Moore Turn, but i cant figure out what sponsors are on there.
I hope you will help me making the virtual Rivers Edge Roadcourse better and better, so sim racers from all over the world can see what awesome little track you have, even if its just in a simulator.

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 11:44am

Skip to the next post, nothing to see here  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 11:45am

So now it should work with the links...
Shanghai Pudong 2010 Video of the virtual track.

And now i can also show you a link to a small video i made in August, showing the virtual Rivers Edge Roadcourse. I changed some things in the last month, so its not the current state, but it gives you an idea of what i am talking about Smiley
Mission Raceway - Rivers Edge Roadcourse, the virtual one. Also first the lap from the outside, then onboard. Car is a BMW M3 E30 from the WTCC '87  Wink

Greetings from Germany,
Peer

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 5:41pm

Cool!

Is this GTR?

this link might be of some help for you.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BSpecRacing

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 7:29pm

Also check out www.racing.ca. There's some aerial footage of Mission in a few of the videos that may be useful.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2014 at 7:47pm

Peer, you've nailed it! The turns are excellent and the landscape is very good. The sponsors banners are probably Drivers Edge, End of the Roll carpet or IWE Rear Ends Only. Our website http://www.sccbc.net has a sponsors page that might help a bit. One minor detail that you might add is the sharp 1' rise at the apex of turn 3. Anyway, great job!

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 11:01am

Thank you for your friendly welcome, and also thanks for the links, they will definetly help me.
I am currently building it for the Race07 / GTR Evolution racing sim, but maybe convert them to other sims. There is already some early version of the track for other sims, but i prefer to release it when i am happy with the result and convinced i cant do it better at that time. So with your help, itll take some more time, but will be awesome.

So i only watched one video for now, and got an idea of what is currently missing, or should be improved:

-Inside turn 2, wooden marshal hut, relativly open, and 2 rows of tirestacks, current hut is a placeholder, and only one row of tires. going to take some from the outside, as i used 3 rows there Smiley
-rallycross track, wooden grandstands
-inside turn 7b (chicane) paved, currently grass
-Randall Building, going to need some pictures from all sides, current is a placeholder like... all buildings til now.
-the 2 sponsor banners outside turn 2 Smiley
-marshal hut on the braking zone to 3
-end of the dragstrip
-add small bushes to the wall bewteen outside of 1 and the straight from 2-3
-a whole lot more that i did not see the first time, and many pictures and videos to see...

To be honest, who pays attention to buildings, lampposts or other not so interesting things, when you have CARS!  Cheesy
So its just natural that for some parts of the track, i wont find pictures or videos of all things around the track that ill want/need to build. But first i will sight all the new information you gave me, then ask for more details.

Regarding the 1' rise, where exactly does is start an end? Maybe you can mark it in the attached picture, so i can get it right where it is.

I am writing too much, again running the risk of hitting the 2000 character limit Smiley

Kind regards
Peer

PS: yes, thats just 79 characters left.

turn3.jpg (196 KB | 388 )
turn3.jpg

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 1:34pm

Peer, we have a race in less than 2 weeks, so if you need any specific photos or other track data I can see if I can get it for you then.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 2:06pm

were your times better than G3"s? Just curious. Wink

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 2:30pm

Sunday CW1 - Gayle 1:22.371 fast lap
Sunday CW2 - Me - 1:22.022

Also for Gramma G - Sat CW1 1:22.210, CW2 1:21.527

OK for my first time in FWD. Need more seat time!

Smiley

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

SBR1055
Spectator

Sports Car Rental

Richmond, B.C.
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 7:00am

Very Cool Peer!  I would not be upset if you omitted the "Port-a-potties" though.  Just a thought. Thanks!

Shane Bourel Racing  
IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 10:55am

@Forum Admin
okay, so my schedule will be to see through the current videos and pictures this weekend, then i can make a detailed overview of what is missing. thanks a lot for your offer!

@SBR1055
...at least i let them stand upright, see attached image  Roll Eyes but i can make their colors less vivid, so they dont stand out too much.

topplepotties.jpg (216 KB | 303 )
topplepotties.jpg

IP Logged

thumphoto
Spectator

Photographer /cornerworker/
volunteer

BC
Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 12:34pm

Neteye,

A very cool video!  Very well done - I like the outhouse at Turn 6 flagging station... perfect!

If it helps you get a feel of the track, my photos from the 2014 Vintage Races at Mission are here:

Saturday:

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p239744136

Sunday:

http://thumphoto.zenfolio.com/p63612503

If you need a photo of a specific part of the track, let me know - I probably have it from a car or bike race.

Great work!

aka Tony.  2 wheels or 4 wheels, I love them all.
https://www.facebook.com/Thumphoto  
IP Logged

Neteye
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Germany
Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 12:43pm

So right now, i have gone through several thousand photos and several videos, 200 photos and videocaptures are now on my harddrive, sorted into areas. ill need to make a list what i can rebuild with these, and from what i need more pictures of.
one thing i propably dont need photos is the marshal hut inside turn 2, will need to texture it later, see attached picture  Smiley

T2_MH.jpg (50 KB | 315 )
T2_MH.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print