Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinions on in car lap timers (Read 3,389 times)
240CJ
Novice

In like a Lamb, out like
a Lion...

Opinions on in car lap timers
Mar 12th, 2015 at 1:33pm

Hi All,

Looking for a good in car lap timer that can segment any track.

What's your experience been with different makes and models.

What's the best bang for your buck?

Thanks,

CJ

IP Logged

wyztek
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Re: Opinions on in car lap timers
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 7:45am

I use a 'Qstarz' GPS timer, model 1000ex. (about $150) It doesn't have a display so you download it to your PC. It provides really good timing plots and analysis of your laps. The software is initially a bit abstruse, but ultimately, it works pretty well. The GPS part seems to be one of the best (at 10HZ rate) and certainly has one of the best cost/benefit ratios.

Qstarz has another product, 6000LQ, which has a small display that provides predictive lap timing.  Because of how well the 1000ex works, I am tempted to try that but it costs U$500.

I also use a smartphone with RaceChrono Pro App that functions as a low cost data acquisition system. With my previous phone, the Qstarz worked really well as the GPS source, but my current phone doesn't seem to work as well. So now I use the built in GPS which is not very accurate but at least correlates with the data coming from my 'RaceDAC' low cost data acquisition system.

Sorry about the delay in replying; missed this post until recently

IP Logged

Gavin
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 3:27pm

wifilapper for android all the way. (https://sites.google.com/site/wifilapper/) ; FREE

You should be able to find an android on craiglist for $20.

It shows a green or red +/- times all the way around the track. Just like a video game.

Amazing for improving your lap times.  You can tell if that exact corner you just finished was faster or slower than your fastest lap.

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 3:36pm

Hard to beat free, but if you want something that's a bit more than a lap timer, the AiM Solo is pretty great:

http://aimsports.com/products/solo/

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print