Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New racer, the rules are confusing. (Read 5,071 times)
Blocko
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

New racer, the rules are confusing.
Mar 24th, 2016 at 10:02am

Hi everyone,

Please bear with me, I'm new. I've always wanted to do something like this but up until a few weeks ago I had no idea there was even a track in BC let alone at Mission.

I've been doing a lot of research and looking into categories I would like to race in and find the rules to be a little bit confusing about what exactly makes a car say a GTU vs. IP3 for example.

I've been looking at a kit car called the DF Goblin (I can't post links, but a google search for "DF Goblin" will show you what it looks like) because it's cheap, uses easy to find parts (Chevy Cobalt), and offers a moderate amount of performance without getting into something way over my head. However, I can't find a category something like a tube frame kit car would fit into. I'm not even totally sure the cage in that thing would be considered legal, according to the website it's made from 1.5" 0.095 wall DOM, so I'm not really worried about that. But only the rear hoop is actually one piece, the front one and the top hoop are all welded single bars.

What do you guys think? Would you let someone through tech with that thing? Or would you tell them to kick rocks?

IP Logged

RadioRon
Novice

Langley BC
Re: New racer, the rules are confusing.
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 12:14pm

Hi Blocko.  Welcome to racing.  I've gone through the novice program over the last two years and am spending time looking for a first race-car myself, so would be happy to share info.    Most of the experienced racers recommend more of a baby-steps approach that usually involves doing the novice program by renting or borrowing a car, then easing into regular racing with something like a used Spec Miata or perhaps a Formula Ford or Formula Vee if you like that route.  There are many choices in theory but in practice the selection of used race cars is not great, at least not at beginner's prices. 

I see the DF Goblin is a bit like an Ariel Atom when completed.  I haven't seen this one before.  This is one of the more tricky cars to fit into CACC/SCCA classes.  Most of the local rules and classes, defined by CACC, the sanctioning body, are copied over from SCCA rules and there isn't much room in SCCA rules for this type.  While I'm no expert (by any measure), it looks to me like this car would go in the same category as a Locost or Lotus 7 type of car.  I'm not sure if there is an "anything goes" type of category in wheel to wheel racing (I'm pretty sure that you can Autocross in AMod or BMod with almost anything).  I've had a look at the SCCA GCR and for wheel to wheel racing (ie. not Solo) perhaps the class might be sports racing (specifically  P1 o P2) but it is hard to tell.

There are racing series where the rules are much simpler and more lenient that you can fit into with this car, but they don't race at Mission.  For example, the Chumpcar series, or LeMons endurance racing.  These series get as close as Olympia WA (The Ridge).

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 6:33am

Not tricky at all. A car like this would go into the sportsracing class.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 11:33pm

There's an article by Jen Horsey in the current edition of Ignition magazine called 'Don't build your first race car - buy built instead'. The first paragraph reads:

The best racing advice I ever got was to buy built. It sounds counter-intuitive - especially to the mechanically inclined who imagine weekends in the shop with friends when the daydream about starting a team. But if you survey a driver's meeting in just about any discipline, you'll find experienced racers generally agree on this point: for your first race car, don't build it. Buy built.

I have to agree. There are a lot of great deals out there on used race cars. Anyone who has built a car will tell you that you will never be able to sell it for much more than a fraction of what it costs to build. Why kill your bank account and all your spare time figuring out if it's the right sport for you, and whether or not you do want to invest that much time and money into it. Just getting your personal safety gear is going to set you back a few grand, much less the safety gear for the car, and that's before you even do anything else to it! Besides, let someone else take the depreciation hit!

Better yet, rent a few different race cars for your first few races and figure out what type of car you want to race? Try open wheel as well as closed wheel. They are very different racing experiences, and learning to race both will make you a much better driver.

The article goes on to justify the position and it's a good read. Unfortunately it's not available online yet, but when it is I'll provide a link.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:15pm

Hello .  The previous advise is well founded. I have been in the race scene for over 35 years and this wisdom has not changed in that time . Before embarking on a kit build like this  which will not be inexpensive get your feet wet by renting or buying a starter race car. While the Goblin may be a good track day car it may not be a good race car. this needs to be checked out thoroughly before the commitment is made, ie  roll cage requirements differ for the 2 activities. this needs to be considered.
  regardless welcome we hope to see you on the track soon.

R Stec

IP Logged

racestec
Pro Circuit

winning isn't everything
but losing sucks

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:50pm

Go with the advice of the seasoned veterans. If you want some opinions on what to buy, there is lots of help available on this forum.

Ray Stec

IP Logged

Mike McGarry
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 8:05pm

Building your own car is a challenge and generally not the cheapest way, but it is doable if you have the skill and find enjoyment in the build and following development as you upgrade.
I bought an 88 mustang for $500 2 winters ago and by May it was on the race track.
Did a lot of research and bought a lot of used bits on eBay and local.....think it turned out decent.
I asked a few questions on this forum and the response was great........met some great people who readily offered what they knew.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print