Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roll cage (Read 236,160 times)
ReDRuM
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Roll cage
Apr 7th, 2016 at 9:23am

So I have a roll cage but it does not have any bar which runs along side of the doors ( lateral bars ). The roll cage is itself approved and used in Lotus Cup car races.
Do I need to add this bar in ... which wouuld make crawling in and out of the Elise even more interesting - luckily Im still relatively flexible.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Re: Roll cage
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2016 at 12:08pm

All race cars must have a roll cage the meets the CACC requirements.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 2:46am

Jim is correct -- all cars must have a cage which meets the rules. But, there are ways to get there. Have you conisidered an X-style, which would provide a little more access space?

Send e-mail direct to jim.kurtz@shaw.ca or myself (michael_currie@telus.net) and we can discuss this further.

IP Logged

ReDRuM
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 9:46pm

If some can review the following pics ... This roll cage does not have the side bars...
will it need to be built in?
can these be detachable?
any other things necessary?

R3cageReg.jpg (95 KB | 352 )
R3cageReg.jpg
Installed2.jpg (254 KB | 366 )
Installed2.jpg
Installed3.jpg (208 KB | 363 )
Installed3.jpg
Installed1.jpg (246 KB | 356 )
Installed1.jpg

IP Logged

ReDRuM
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 10:55pm

So I sit low in the bucket seat below the "side sill/arm rest" which I believe is protective.
Even though Im short , it requires a bit of flexibility getting in and out. Putting a bar along the side door means I need to cut my feet off at the ankles in order to depart , particularly if wearing a helmet

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 7:50am

From the pictures and the sketch I would have to say that this roll cage does not come close to what is required by the CACC rules. The cage must be a minimum 8 point. It must have two intrusion bars in each door opening,  foot box bars on each side of the front hoop and front hoop spreader bar. If you read the CACC GCR you will see what is needed.

IP Logged

ReDRuM
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 4:07pm

Thank you. Yes, I've been through the CACC regs several times. I've looked at multiple versions of roll cages for my car. Looked at fabricating and adding on. I suspect that this requirement crosses the serious fun level to plain serious for me. It's totally understandable from the perspective of all out safety.
I'll have to back off on my race career for now . Until someone gives me a second Lotus. My head can't get around wanting to run another car after being in this . Lol.
Thank u for your advice.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 7:46am

So it looks like you'll have to run at Laguna, Sonoma and Thunderhill rather than 'River's Edge' Mission- tough choice!!
You can, of course, run lapping days at Mission Raceway Park, same car, same track, same speeds. Lapping last week were Porsches, Ferraris, McLarens and Lambos pretty fun/nice company!!!
The new GTR Nissan might give your beautiful little Elise a run for your money! Smiley Cheesy

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 9:24am

Looking at the design of this car and the way the cage is install it doesn't look like you have much choice in what you can install. If you install side bars in the current door opening i doubt anyone would be able to get in the car. If i'm not mistaking the tube of that car is  built like modern formula car tube so the only thing to ad is the upper cage? It is already built like a race with side impact protection from the factory is it not?
It's not a regular street car it was built for the track so before we turn it away should we not look into how the car was constructed by the manufacturer?

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:41am

I am always willing to look at the chassis and make suggestions.

IP Logged

ReDRuM
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 10:13pm

Thank you guys. I am going to bring the car down on April 29 track day and then June 24. I was hoping to do a novice race on April 30 but Ive put it on hold now and slowed down on the car build process.
When and where is a good time for me have the car reviewed for roll cage mod suggestions?

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 3:03am

If you e-mail TECHMAN he should be able to give you a time when it would be OK for him to look at your car. I know things will be a bit short-handed at the next event since TECH will be at least one man down. That means that Jim will be hustling all by himself. So, be patient. He'll be frustrated
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2016 at 6:07am by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

ReDRuM
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 6:47am

Re: Lotus Elise and side impact bar
"the motorsport authority in the UK (MSA) has agreed with Lotus and the manufacturer of the cages that the sill of the car is quite a tough thing to break. In fact, after the FIA crash tests, they were convinced the structure functions better than a single side bar."

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 1:38pm

Contact Jim Kurtz, Chief Scrutineer for SCCBC, at the e-mail address provided on the SCCBC contacts list. Arrange to have him make a time available to have a look at the car. That's my best advice.

I won't be at the track next weekend, which is why I suggest you e-mail Jim.

Mike Currie.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print