Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kill switch location, IT (Read 3,078 times)
Jarred
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Kill switch location, IT
Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:38am

I was just now reading through the CACC rule book and it states that IT prepared cars "May exercise a choice among the above locations." including "...it may be mounted below the center of the rear window or on a bracket welded, clamped or bolted to the roll cage or dash, easily accessible through the open window."  This is from the CACC  GCR, 20.4 section D, ii and iii.  My switch is easily accessible through the window and per other organization's requirements (Chump, Lemons, SCCA, Lucky Dog) and is also accessible to the driver while strapped in.  At the April 15 practice I was not allowed to practice because of this (and no side mirrors... oops).  Both tech and Stec wanted the switch on the cowl or fender, locations only called out for formula and sports racing cars.  Can someone clarify?

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: Kill switch location, IT
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 2:30pm

I was the one who suggested the cowl since it was not readily apparent that your car was entered in a class. You are likely correct in your reading of the CACC regulations for IP cars (subject to tech approval when you arrive). But, the lack of external mirrors (and the genreral appearance of the car) would make it ineligible.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 5:30pm

Last time I checked, according to SCCA rules you could mount the switch in at least 7 different places. Front or rear of the roll cage (near the window), either cowl or the back of the car. Emergency crews arriving at your car, which may be upside down and on fire have to guess where you put it!
This makes no sense to me at all! Undecided

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:22pm

Mount the switch in one of the approved locations along with the decal. Make sure it is wired correctly. It must be in one of the main battery cables and kill all the electrical systems in the car except an electrically triggered fire system. This means that the cable from the battery may only go to the switch. No other things may be attached to this cable or battery post except a fire system trigger. If your car uses an alternator you will probably have to have a switch that has more than two terminals. Many cars will run off the alternator and in some cars opening the battery cable will cause problems and possibly failure of the engine ECU.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print