Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting new blood into the sport (Read 5,772 times)
spudrace
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Getting new blood into the sport
Aug 9th, 2016 at 7:12am

Just wondering if there has ever been any discussion in having a Chump Car type class in closed wheel 1 or 2 to help get some new racers into the sport without having to spend a lot of $$ other than the required safety equipment

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: Getting new blood into the sport
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 7:07pm

These days there really isn't that much difference between an average Chumpcar and and the average IP car in terms of car prep. The series has advanced in that regard, requiring fire suppression systems in all cars for example, but is suffering low car counts in the Western areas for a variety of reasons..
The biggest reason most in CC don't race with CACC/SCCBC etc is because of the required licensing requirements. Its just so much easier to go CC racing in comparison.

Personally, I thought the lack of any kind of driver training in CC was and is its biggest issue.

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

ThirdGenRobbie
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Mission, BC
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 10:00pm

We went down to Portland in 2009 to do the inaugural 24hr Chumpcar race in a white Honda Civic with a few other club members. You could tell who had been in a race car before apart from those who hadn't. It seemed a little hectic from the sidelines, being thrown in a big mixing pot of varying talent... Most cars there would have fallen under IP3 rules. I think at this point with this club IP3 is the best bang for your buck tin top class due to the fact that it's pretty cheap to prep a car and that it's the best subscribed class in its run group. That being said Spec Miata is right up there... Not sure how much it is to prepare one of them, but I assume it's a little more expensive than IP3. I know there are a few old Chumpcars kicking around that could turn class eligible with a little TLC, just need people that want to race!

Save it for the track!

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 12:58am

A lot has changed since then in CC, with most fwd drive cars rendered somewhat impotent due to revised rules.
E30's, Mustangs, Camaro's, other BMW's are now dominant front runners in CC.

Personally, with regards to attracting that crowd to SCCBC, the existing class structure easily accommodates any potential chumpcar entry whether it be IP2,3, or IPE. That isn't a problem in attracting them, its the training/licensing. In addition, they can now choose between two other similar series with WRL and Lucky Dog Racing both operating similar concepts and rules.
Again, no incentive to come here with so much to choose from.

As for another comment made about limiting down the number of CW classes to limit people to build entries to a same class  to increase car counts - I think there is a misconception as to as to the enthusiasm of current car owners to sell off and start over. Particularly when there are several other options available to run their existing cars. Don't see many people reacting positively, myself included.
Car counts might be somewhat deflated at the moment, but its hardly SCCBC specific. ICSCC has a similar thread about this as does Chumpcar. Most say it's cyclical.

Im personally a fan of the current SCCBC CW classes and the racing format, with IPE and PRO3 topping my list. PRO3 for me would be the only other class I'd consider building for for best bang for the buck, IPE make's for an interesting mix of cars and racing. 

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

bunracer
Pro Circuit

Ice is nice to race on
too!

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 9:40am

While I hope that comment about FWD cars being impotent is slightly inaccurate I can tell you that there are some significant preparation rules that don't quite mix with present CACC rules for IP preparation. CC doesn't want any glass left in the car which kind saddles any true IP car owner with the decision to remove all requisite glass and then find a way to reinstall once back at a CACC event. The premise of a $500 Chump Car also penalizes an IP car with adjustable shocks to either remove them or take the $75 per corner penalty which adds up to $300 for all 4 corners of your race car. If you have a 88-91 Civic CRX with a D16 non VTEC motor that car is valued at $200 and if you wanted to stay at the $500 value for your car and not get penalty laps awarded for being over $500 you would have to remove any other component that CC deems a performance modification, all the way down to aftermarket motor mounts. While I hardily support CC and both CACC IP rules the two are different enough that I doubt you will see my Chump Car (ex 91 CRX ice racer) come to Mission and pass any CACC tech inspection and be allowed on the track. I can add a cam to my Chump Car and still stay within the $500 CC limit, whereas that is not allowed in IP. I guess it depends on how much work one wants to do to convert a car back and forth between class rules as to whether or not you will see much cross over between that style of race car. Would IPE pick up a Chump Car modified beyond typical IP modifications ?

IP Logged

bunracer
Pro Circuit

Ice is nice to race on
too!

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 9:41am

To clarify they want everything glass removed except the front windshield and lights if it's a night race.

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 10:43am

I forgot about the glass. They allowed lexan back after banning it a few years ago. Not quite sure if they're still sticking to the $500 value, as they are allowing engine swaps for additional points, which apparently has favored the v8 crowd. A lot of fwd cars were hit with higher initial values a few years back at the same time, so thats why the impotent comment. When it rains still differnt story though.
Last I heard they either were or are trying out different classes because of that. WRL does that.
I know one guy who has run his CC jetta at Mission for novice, and being that its a well prepped car , I'll ask and see what he was told at tech. He didn't mention anything.

IP Logged

bunracer
Pro Circuit

Ice is nice to race on
too!

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 3:47pm

IP doesn't allow lexan replacement panels for the rear or side windows does it. Given that CC actually requires full fire extinguishing systems on board Chump Cars, a Chump Car may be better prepared (for safety) than an IP car but if one was trying to keep their Chump Car at or under the $500.00 threshold you would have to leave some things lot off the car that IP allows to keep it at $500.00 (funny that CC only adds a $100 value to a camshaft swap and $50 for a header) It might be a moot point because the most limiting factor of the performance potential of a Chump Car is that one has to use a 180 (or greater) treadwear rated tire for competition. No R compound DOT race tires for those guys !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print