Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Racing Harness Expiry Dates (Read 12,160 times)
240CJ
Novice

In like a Lamb, out like
a Lion...

Racing Harness Expiry Dates
Feb 10th, 2018 at 8:10pm

A question for Mike or Jim,

I believe Conference is allowing 2 year SFI belts to now be good for a 5 year period.

Is our Club or CACC considering this rule/expiration date change too?

Thanks,

CJ

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Re: Racing Harness Expiry Dates
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:20am

ICSCC rules are different than CACC. SFI says that the harness assemblies are valid for two years after they were made. That is what the CACC rules say. I don't think there are any plans on changing this. Come to the CACC Spring meeting and find out.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 4:47pm

FYI
I just purchased a set of SFI belts and they now have an 'expiry' date on them not a manufactured date and it's only two years not 5 like FIA.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 9:51am

As the old labels that indicate when the harness assemblies were made are used up, the new not valid after labels will be used.
The FIA sets are not 5 years. They are valid until the labels say .I have seen many sets that would allow 6 racing seasons.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:11pm

Splitting hairs for a pass time are we Wink?

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

alangbaker
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 11:10am

I just got through reading the self-serving nonsense that the SFI uses to justify belts expiring in just two years:

It assumes that belts will be continuously exposed to the sun for that entire timespan.

It's interesting to read it and then contrast it with an actual independent study:

http://aimss.com.au/full-story-competition-harness-life-extension/

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 8:16pm

Bloody Aussies they always have to bring common sense into a perfectly good money grab by the yanks!!!

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 6:39pm

This should be brought up at the cacc meeting. Again

IP Logged

240CJ
Novice

In like a Lamb, out like
a Lion...

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:07pm

SCCA is now bought in to 5 year after manufactured date...

From the latest (Nov 2017) version of the GCR:
---------------------------------------------------
Section 9.3.18
E. All driver restraint systems shall meet one of the following: SFI specification 16.1, 16.5, or FIA specification
8853/98, 8853-2016 or 8854/98.
1. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 or 16.5 shall bear a dated SFI Spec label. The certification
indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the 5th year after the date of manufacture
as indicated by the label. If for example the manufacture date is 2014 the fifth year after the date
of manufacture is 2019.
2. Restraint systems homologated to FIA specification 8853/98 and 8854/98 will have a label
containing the type of harness designation (‘C-###.T/98 or D-###.T/98) and date of expiration
which is the last day of the year marked. All straps in this FIA restraint system will have these
labels.
3. If a restraint system has more than one type of certification label, the label with the latest expiration
may be used.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 9:26am

From the SCCA March 2018 GCR  SFI changes are in E.2

E. All driver restraint systems shall meet one of the following: SFI specification 16.1, 16.5, or FIA specification
8853/98, 8853-2016 or 8854/98.
1. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 or 16.5 shall bear a dated SFI Spec label. The certification
indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the 5th year after the date of manufacture
as indicated by the label. If for example the manufacture date is 2014 the fifth year after the date
of manufacture is 2019. SFI labels, with expiration dates, expire on December 31st of the labeled expiration date.
2. Restraint systems homologated to FIA specification 8853/98 and 8854/98 will have a label
containing the type of harness designation (‘C-###.T/98 or D-###.T/98) and date of expiration
which is the last day of the year marked. All straps in this FIA restraint system will have these
labels.
3. If a restraint system has more than one type of certification label, the label with the latest expiration
may be used

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 9:27am

E.1

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 10:56am

Is CACC going to follow SCCA?
My new SFI belts have an expiry date so how will that work?

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 2:06pm

Harness rule is in the GCR. Need to ask the CACC executive about this.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:00am

At theCACC Spring Meeting (which you should have attended, if you didn't) the Race Director received a request from the drivers present to pursue with the CACC Executive and ASN Canada FIA information as to extending the usable life of seat belts. Gary is a very efficient Race Director, so I'm assuming that this is already in the process. Info was provided on what the Australians amateur groups are using with the approval of their ASN. This has been included with the request for further clarification.

ASN Canada FIA provide the insurance and the safety regulations (that's the GCR part of the rulebook). Until we have a further clarification or change mandated by ASN Canada FIA we have to continue as we have been.

CACC Tech Inspectors have no control over these regulations. We are asked to enforce them, period.

Thank you

IP Logged

racestec
Pro Circuit

winning isn't everything
but losing sucks

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 8:48pm

CACC reported that ASN Canada will not allow any sort of extension on belts. SFI or FIA certified. Said the insurance company would not allow it. So how did the Aussie FIA delegate (CAMC) allow a 5 year extension on FIA certified belts? Their insurance company has no issue with this. SFI says their window nets are no good after 2 years. The SFI manufacturers must really be producing crap. I'm not going to buy it anymore.

Ray Stec

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print