Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Formula Pacific eligible for racing? (Read 4,527 times)
ExKarter
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Formula Pacific eligible for racing?
Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:44pm

Hi all.  I was interested in getting into open wheel road racing full time.  I was also looking at a car which looks like the class is "Formula Pacific".  It looks like a road racing kart without the bodywork.  It has a Yamaha R6 motor, and a large wing on the back.  I know it's not the same as a sports racer or Formula Ford, etc.  But, is that legal in any sccbc class or icscc class?  Saw a few for sale for a very reasonable price, so was tempted.  But, want to make sure that I could actually race wheel to wheel, instead of just track days.  Looks like it would be much faster than any closed wheel car such as corvettes, vipers or cars within that performance range, but I'm worried that it wouldn't work in any closed wheel racing classes locally.  Any recommendations for other open wheel cars?  Also, my experience level is mainly sprint karting, did several years, including 125 shifter kart championships locally, gold cups, provincial championships, and some formula mazda races (rental) and, some closed wheel races as well.  Thanks for any help!

IP Logged

ThirdGenRobbie
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Mission, BC
Re: Formula Pacific eligible for racing?
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:56pm

Send me an Email at Arthursix@shaw.ca, we have a Formula Vee that we’re able to rent out to you to see if you like the class before you buy, and know the whereabouts of some cars that could come up for sale. I would suggest going with FV or FF for open wheel racing classes as they are the highest subscribed open wheel classes.

Cheers,
    Robbie Arthur
    Arthur Motorsports

Save it for the track!

IP Logged

ExKarter
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 8:55pm

Thanks for the offer.  I was interested in the top classes.  But, F1000 seems more along my lines.  Seems like thats maybe faster than FF, from what I've seen.  When you move up from karting, everything seems slow, especially closed wheel, until you get into something like formula mazda or higher.  But, the cost is a limiting factor, as it's at least 5 times that of karting.

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2018 at 10:03am

If you are looking to race wheel to wheel then you should at least look at a class that has more than one car or none in it's class. You have to decide if you are looking to race in a group for a championship if so then buy a car that fits in with the current groups.
Looks like you want the look ie wings then you should look at FC  the group is growing you will have someone to race wheel to wheel.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2018 at 12:38pm

Interesting phrase 'I want to drive in the top classes'! There's no better place to learn than Formula Vee; it teaches you to drive precisely and keep up momentum. I've spoken with racers that got out or 600hp cars into a Vee and said they learnt more in the Vee!.
Think about it before you make a purchase. Better still rent a Vee and see how quick you can be. Wink

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

ExKarter
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Vancouver, B.C.
Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:16pm

I already did that, as I mentioned in the first post of this thread.  And did karting as well, which is by far the best training of all, and was a gold cup winner, and B.C. F125 champion.  so, someone sell me an awesome F1000 car please!

IP Logged

spudrace
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:02pm

Look into formula continental, quite a few of these race at Mission on a regular basis, next race should be a good one

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 2:00pm

ExKarter wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:16pm:
I already did that, as I mentioned in the first post of this thread.  And did karting as well, which is by far the best training of all, and was a gold cup winner, and B.C. F125 champion.  so, someone sell me an awesome F1000 car please!

Come to July 27th. race you can decide which group is the most competitive (and cost effective).

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print