Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tires (Read 1,137 times)
kelley
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Tires
Jun 26th, 2018 at 12:45pm

I'm not sure if this belongs here or another section, but I thought I'd start here. I have been running Toyo RR tires on my RX-7 in IPE for two seasons, but I'm considering trying Hoosier R7 tires.  I have been told that you don't get very many heat cycles from Hoosiers.  The Hoosier website has detailed information about breaking the R7 tires in correctly which extends their life.  Can anyone comment on this? How many heat cycles might I expect?  Can anyone suggest a good place to buy them?

IP Logged

Lightning Rod
Novice

Re: Tires
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:52am

My experience is with the Hoosier SM7s, which are the same compound as the R7s. 

With the Toyo RRs, the sticker tires are about 1/2 second faster than 20 heat cycle tires.  However, they degrade very slowly over the 20 heat cycles.  Beyond 20 cycles they get very slippery very quickly.  For me this was about the same time as we're getting to the cords.

With the SM7 there is about 1.5 second difference between the sticker tires and 12 heat cycle tires.  The SM7 stickers may be a 1/4 second faster than the RR stickers.  I suspect this is not due to the  compound, but because they are about a 3lbs lighter than the RRs.  After about 12 cycles on the SM7s I was hitting the cords, but they were slow enough after 8 cycles that they are only good for practice tires.  As best as I could tell "breaking in" made no noticeable difference.

I'm a big fan of the RRs over the SM7s. 
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2018 at 12:57pm by Lightning Rod »  

Spec Miata #65

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print