Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for information on racing at Mission. (Read 4,586 times)
Rob F
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Langley BC
Looking for information on racing at Mission.
Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:47pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Rob, and I'm looking at (possibly) road racing at Mission. I've raced bikes and road race karts at Westwood, Seattle and Portland. For the last 4 years I've been racing my BMW E30 at Agassiz.
Oval track is cheap and fun but road racing is my first love. I have my current car, which has a stock drivetrain, stock brakes, lowered and fully adjustable stock suspension and of course fully caged, fuel cell, etc.
What classes are there that I may be able to run in? Any and all advice i appreciated, thanks.

IMG_2233_-_Copy.JPG (195 KB | 193 )
IMG_2233_-_Copy.JPG

IP Logged

alangbaker
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: Looking for information on racing at Mission.
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:57pm

'PRO3 Guiding Principle
PRO3 is a spec racing class for BMW E30s in the Pacific Northwest. It is the intent of the PRO3 class to  create a restrictive formula for BMW cars designed to emphasize driver ability rather than design and preparation of the car. The spirit of the formula will not allow any modifications that would increase the cost of competition, nor lend to an unfair performance advantage.'

http://www.pro3-racing.com/pro3-rules-specifications

IP Logged

db
Senior Racer

What would Johnny Canuck
do?

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 6:50am

The next race weekend is July 27-28.  Please come visit us, the PRO3 boys would be more than happy to talk to you about their cars and the class.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 1:50pm

Rob F wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 1:47pm:
Hi everyone,
My name is Rob, and I'm looking at (possibly) road racing at Mission. I've raced bikes and road race karts at Westwood, Seattle and Portland. For the last 4 years I've been racing my BMW E30 at Agassiz.
Oval track is cheap and fun but road racing is my first love. I have my current car, which has a stock drivetrain, stock brakes, lowered and fully adjustable stock suspension and of course fully caged, fuel cell, etc.
What classes are there that I may be able to run in? Any and all advice i appreciated, thanks.

Great looking car; one important question, is it a CACC legal cage (Agassiz doesn't require CACC legal)?
With a fuel cell (again is it CACC legal) you will require an on board fire system.
I'd be pleased to help you with any questions you may have; coming to Mission Raceway and talking to the Pro 3 guys is a good suggestion.
Hope to see you at the end of July!

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Rob F
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Langley BC
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:54pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. I didn't get notification of the replies, so sorry if I'm slow in responding. I race on the 27th but I may be able to come out on the 28th. However, a quick look at the rules would seem to exclude my car. Everything forward of the firewall is tubular, none of the original sheetmetal is left.

IMG_7794.JPG (272 KB | 186 )
IMG_7794.JPG

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:17pm

Rob F wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:54pm:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I didn't get notification of the replies, so sorry if I'm slow in responding. I race on the 27th but I may be able to come out on the 28th. However, a quick look at the rules would seem to exclude my car. Everything forward of the firewall is tubular, none of the original sheetmetal is left.

The car can still run in GTU as long as the cage is legal and you have a legal fuel cell (not the plastic Mopac style).

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Rob F
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Langley BC
Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 9:12am

Yes it has a proper fuel cell. The cage resembles a tank, I can't imagine it not meeting the rules, although I'm not sure what specs it was built to. I'll have to look at GTU rules, thanks.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 5:41pm

Major issue is whether it was constructed with pipe or tube. CACC regulation calls for DOM or seamless tube with minimum 1.5dia with 0.095" wall thickness.
Check out CACC General Competition Rules (GCR's)
www.caccautosport.org

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Rob F
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Langley BC
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 12:14pm

Thanks Keith. I'm not getting notified when people reply, so that's my excuse for taking so long to answer. I know the original builder and he told me it's DOM. I'd have to measure the wall thickness. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep going in circles or try to learn how to turn right again! Decisions, decisions....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print