Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old racers' chat (Read 7,488 times)
raceannouncer2003
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Old racers' chat
Apr 11th, 2020 at 9:34pm

I'm started a thread where "old racers" can chat.

Vince H.

If you want to display the latest posts at the top of a discussion, then click on the User CP tab at the top, click on the Profile tab, then click on Options. Enable the checkbox beside Do you want to reverse the displayed order of posts in the topic?

This will make the change across all discussions.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2020 at 6:15pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
Re: Old racers' chat
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 8:20am

Hey, Vince.... Thanks for starting this chat!.... Any chance you can ask the Admin. to "sticky" this thread at the top of the Vintage Car Racing page?.... It would make it easy to find....

Bob
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2020 at 9:46am by Mog Crazy »  

IP Logged

raceannouncer2003
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 10:54am

Hey Bob !!!

You're the first one on.  Great !!!  Gio Coletta is registering too.  Should be fun.

Vince H.

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 2:09pm

One of the true greats of Formula 1, Sir Stirling Moss, has died at the age of 90.

Often referred to as the greatest driver never to win the world championship, Moss contested 66 Grands Prix from 1951 to 1961, driving for the likes of Vanwall, Maserati and Mercedes, where he famously formed a contented and ruthlessly effective partnership with lead driver Juan Manuel Fangio.

A great man and a delight to talk to.... Full of fabulous stories.... RIP, Stirling....

Bob

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 2:10pm

Thanks for the invite, Vince.... I think this is a GREAT idea.... Pity about Stirling....  Cry

Bob

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 2:12pm

I remember that night at the QET, where Stirling related his accounts of the Mille Miglia, and racing with Fangio....

He was a class act, and such a pleasure to talk to.... soooooooooo knowledgeable, too....

Bob

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 6:13pm

If you want to display the latest posts at the top of a discussion, then click on the User CP tab at the top, click on the Profile tab, then click on Options. Enable the checkbox beside Do you want to reverse the displayed order of posts in the topic?

This will make the change across all discussions.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

raceannouncer2003
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 7:19pm

Moss with Bob McLean, Vancouver, 1965

We tried three consecutive years to get Bob inducted into the BC Sports Hall of Fame.  It never happened, despite Moss' endorsement (which I helped him draft) and others.

Vince H.

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 9:08am

Thanks for making this "Old Racers' Chat" thread a "sticky" at the top of the "Vintage Car Racing" page.... Much appreciated....  Cool

Bob

IP Logged

raceannouncer2003
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 6:35pm

I'll try bumping this thread to see if we can get more people participating.  To bring folks up to date, we live in Langford, just outside of Victoria, BC.  I have been retired from teaching since 2004.  I have been back announcing all the races at Mission for the SCCBC, including the BC Historic races in August.  Of course, still waiting for racing to start this year.

What is everyone else up to ?

Vince H.

IP Logged

Darrin PooghkayAllers Camaro
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 8:33pm

Hi, Darrin here. I own Frank Allers old Player’s GM Motorsports Camaro. Owned it since 2008. I don’t race but have done lapping sessions and parade laps. I try and make it out to the BCHMR every year with the car and also usually do car shows and show and shines with it. Hopefully we are able to have some events this year. I live in Vancouver and hopefully get out and about cruising sometime soon. Thanks for starting the thread.

IP Logged

Vic Nightscales
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 10:03am

It is good to stay connected at this time.  No racing to keep us entertained but I recommend Netflix movies like Racing in the Rain, Fangio The LIfe of Speed, GoKarts, and the RV series Formula1 Drive to Survive.  I've been retired for fifteen years but have kept my blood moving with autocross.  I have a 2020 Corvette on order and it was supposed to arrive in April.  However GM shut production down in March, and who knows when they will start up again.  Meanwhile let's stay safe.  Vic Nightscales

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 7:40am

HEY, Vic.... There's a name I remember....

We live in Coalmont now, just outside of Princeton.... We run a little 3-unit Motel called the "Mozey-On-Inn".... or at least we did until COVID-19 hit.... I rather doubt if we will reopen, as it's a bit dangerous to be around the public right now when I'm 71 yo....  Roll Eyes

Darrin, I remember Frank as well....

Bob

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
The best tracks all in one!
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 7:49am

If this video of a "new" track by Will Buxton doesn't get your blood boiling you aren't much of a racer!  It is a combination of at least one corner from each of the circuits that were on the 2020 Formula 1 calendar.  There are 24 segments, a total of 50 corners, with a lap time of 5 minutes.  Every corner is an exact replica of the original, from the mighty 130R, to Eau Rouge, to the Maggots, Beckets, Chapel complex, the Parabolica, and between the barriers through Tabac at Monaco, it is a thrilling ride, with each corner skillfully blended into the next, maintaining the entrance speed so critical to make the corner just like the original....

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.is-this-the-ultimate-grand-prix-track...

I loved it, and I hope you do too....

Bob

IP Logged

Mog Crazy
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Coalmont, BC
The Great Realization!
Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2020 at 7:56am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print