Send Topic Print
ORP (Read 3,486 times)
oldtransamdriver
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

ORP
May 25th, 2010 at 7:27pm

Who went to ORP last wknd?  impressions?

Robert Barg

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Re: ORP
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2010 at 5:07am

I saw an email from a driver who had a fantastic time, and loved the track. He likened it to a longer version of Mission with elevation changes.

His only bad impression were the actions of another driver who rammed him and another car causing damage to the rear of both vehicles.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2010 at 7:54am

Every report I read or hear about people who have driven it (on track days, haven't talked to anyone who has raced there) has been very positive. Seems like a fantastic track, can't wait to try it out!

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

AllanJ
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 8:23pm

I don't have any racing experience there but I have been there for six track days.  It's a fantastic track to drive.  It's like driving your own roller coaster!  It's by far my fav track (still a track newbie with only Mission, Seattle, Portland and ORP experience).

For racers, I imagine it can be troublesome at times.  The track is only 40' wide which gets real narrow with a field of cars racing up to blind corners.  It's extremely challenging driving on a lapping day and I can imagine you'll be exhausted after a race.

Things to be aware of:

- Top speed is similar to Mission, but the driving experience is nothing like Mission.  Not even close.  Nowhere near.  Completely different.  ORP rocks and Mission....well.....  I hope I made myself clear.  Smiley

- Stay off the curbing.  Much of it will pull your steering wheel around and could take you off the track.  Some is fine....but the rest is nasty!  The curbing by turn in for the last turn before the main straight (running CW) can end up destroying your car as you get sent into the pit wall.  I saw an Ariel Atom destroyed there and the driver was airlifted to the hospital.  Make sure your medical insurance is up to date.  Not sure how that works for you racers.

- There are lots of blind hills and corners at ORP.  You need to memorize the track before you drive it at speed.  Forgetting which direction the track moves after a blind hill isn't going to work for you as you guess wrong and fly off the track.

- Paddock is lame considering what you have even at Mission.  No painted lines so all it takes is some goofballs early in the day to park their rigs in a bad way to mess everyone up.

- No running water

- Porta-potties only (you're used to that)

- Gas is now available on-site and can be pumped directly into your car.  92 octane only for a premium ($4.50/gal as of last week).  All profits go back into the track so I don't mind paying extra because the track is fantastic.  Your alternative is to bring your own in jersey cans or drive 30 miles to Biggs Junction to buy gas at a cheaper price.

- Simple concession food is usually available on-site.  The fellow makes a nice breakfast burrito.   Smiley

- A few track day folks have suffered from motion sickness driving this track.  Yes....drivers.  You may want to bring along some gravol or wear those accupressure wristband things just in case.

Here's a video from last Sept in my friend's car.  He's running a decent lap time here so you can see the track at speed.  What isn't conveyed is the incredible g-forces you feel in places like the half-pipe or the places where you'll hold your breath as you pray you'll have grip in the off-camber sections.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7AMu6A7BNM

There have been some track improvements since that video.  The owners are constantly upgrading the track.

I love ORP!!!!

Cheers,
Allan

IP Logged

AllanJ
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 4:47am

Forgot to mention:

- Faster to drive there going the back way behind Seattle and then over to Yakima, before going on I97 down to Moro or Grass Valley (google directions to Grass Valley, OR).  Coming back home several of us left the area at 4:30am on Sat.  Stopped for gas a few times and a coffee refill.  No stops for breakfast.  Made it to Blaine in 6.5 hours towing a car.  If your tow rig can't tolerate some hills, then stick to I5 down to Portland and then I84 along the river.  Add on a couple hours for your trip.

- Food away from the track concession dude: Food and lodging is limited around the track.  Check the ORP site for some info.  Many folks stay at the Ranch in Grass Valley (beside the track).  I stay in Moro, about 10 mins from the track.  The Ranch can fix you some food, including breakfast at early hours.  In Moro, there is a guy who runs a bar/restaurant but the hours will fluctuate a lot.

- Keep to the speed limit around Moro and Grass Valley.  Cops like to stake out the speed limit changes as it slows going through the towns.

Cheers,
Allan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print