Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fighting fire - good article about safety.. (Read 2,319 times)
unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Fighting fire - good article about safety..
May 26th, 2010 at 7:57am

After seeing footage of a Lambo driver roasting in his flaming car for over a minute before his team mates (!!!) managed to pull him out of the car, it was great to read this article on grassroots motorsports. We all know safety is the number one priority, but knowing what to expect is possibly halfway there to staying safe.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/fighting-fire/
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2010 at 10:06am by unxetas »  

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

db
Senior Racer

What would Johnny Canuck
do?

Re: Fighting fire - good article about safety..
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2010 at 9:45am

Wow what a great article.  Something every racer should take 5 minutes to read.  I wonder if we can get permission to reprint it in the Pit Pass.

IP Logged

ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: Fighting fire - good article about safety..
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2010 at 4:59pm

Well, I was driving right behind him when it happened.  At first it looked like he was dragging a muffler or something.  It was a night stint so the sparks were quite amazing.  After one corner, there was clearly a fire under the car and a lot of smoke.  He pulled off at the next turn station which was probably the right decision as they were able to extinguish him as he got out of the car.  Thank god for turn workers.

I know it was said in the article but I will say it here again.  Practice your exits from your car, you will be glad you did.  Make sure your window net is properly installed, you can reach your shut off switch and fire pull.  Even though some rules might allow it, a fire extinguisher in the car is not enough, you need the full system.  Check your bottle charge every race day. Make sure the pin is out before you go to pre grid.  See Frank for the extra layer of nomex underwear, even though the rules say you don't need it.

When I came around on the next lap, the car was fully engulfed in flame.  Its amazing that the driver was not more seriously injured.

Ryan
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2010 at 3:32am by ryano »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print