Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Spec Miata Driver for 2011 (Read 12,961 times)
jmracer86
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

New Spec Miata Driver for 2011
Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:12am

hey guys,
Im getting close to finishing the build of my first racecar and I would like to go road racing for the first time after dreaming of it for the last 20 years! Im very excited to hit the track with you guys and finally make it happen. I was told that sccbc is the best place to start with friendly helpful members on here.
I have a bit of racing experience, racing go karts in Chilliwack for a season running Rotax and 2 years of Autox. Ive also done several track days out in Mission and lots of seat time on iRacing.
I do have a few questions regarding the legality of my racecar. It has a cage from miatacage.com professionaly installed by Adam from  AMT machine from vancouver who builds mainly rally cars, I have an Ultra Shield racing seat, a Takata 6 point harness, Toyo RA1's mounted on 6UL racing wheels, HPS brake pads all around, racing beat headers and a magnaflow exhaust system, I also have tow hooks front and back and Tein type flex coilovers for suspension.
I know that the rules for spec miata require the eibach and bilstein suspension combination, stock headers and 15x7 rims over 13lbs (the rims i have are 15x8 and 12.4lbs) I do have a budget for race fees, tyres, repairs, consumables, transportation, etc but if I had to run in full SM trim I would have to use a big chunk of my budget for the season to get my car to comply with the rules. I was wondering if I would be allowed to run the way my car is in IP3 or ITA or run with the SM guys. I will also have a window net, new SS brake lines, Power cutoff and an extinquisher by then. I just need to know if theres flexibility in the rules for modifications such as my TEin suspension, headers and wheels. Id love to race next year but I may have to wait till the end of the year or another 2 years otherwise.

As for a racing lisence, I dont even have one yet! I looked at my options for racing schools and they are way out of my budget. Is there and lisencing program within the club?

thanks alot for your help and sorry for the dumb questions lol

-Josh
mikajoche@hotmail.com

IP Logged

SSGTi
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: New Spec Miata Driver for 2011
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:40am

Josh,
First off, welcome to the forum - we look forward to seeing you racing out at Mission in 2011. The 1.6L Miatas fit nicely into IP3. The rules can be found for download here: http://www.caccautosport.org/CACCcgrs.html
If it's a 1.8L car, the choice is either to run in full SM spec in IP3 (there's a special allowance), or to run in IP2 with more flexibility on the allowable mods. All of the CACC IP classes are based on very stock cars with upgrades allowed to the brakes, shocks, springs, wheels/tires, exhaust and intake. The rules are base on the SCCA IT ruleset, but instead of using the SCCA classing structure, it's entirely displacement based. You'll need a cage (sounds like you have one, but check the rules noted above), window net, belts and power disconnect. There will likely be two ICSCC races at Mission next year where the ITA class is available, and the IP3 class is not. If the car is legal in IP3, it should be good to go for ICSCC ITA.

The club runs two driver's ed schools each year, and they are a great deal at around $500 - you supply the car. Pass that course, and you're into the novice program for a minimum of 3 races, where only the safety gear and car prep is important - your car need not comply with class rules on the mods in the novice program.

Ask lots of questions - they're the only thing in racing that's free...

Martin

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:32am

I believe CACC is looking into a separate class for Spec Miatas. There was a little confusion over the various specifications from SCCA/NASA/ICSCC and the final decision is to be made at the spring meeting, I think.

It does sound as if this gentleman is heading in the correct direction. Using the SCCBC website you can find Jim Kurtz's e-mail address to follow up on any specific questions you might have.

Welcome to the madness.

Mike

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:36pm

Welcome Josh
                        AS some have mentioned already please consult the rules before making any further changes to your car. this  is a common problem when we have people trying to racing  their  " tuner cars "They may have to re install stock parts  or pile in a whole lot of changes to make the car legal and competative.
  We encourage newbies to start with stock or near stock cars and just worry about the safety gear only, Or buy a class legal race car.

Your first step is to sign up for the SCCBC driver training in the spring, There will be more information in the spring as to the exact dates. You will receive top quality instruction for a fraction of the price of the famous brand name schools in the states.
This will qualify you to apply for a race novice license.
    You will find many helpful people in the club to assist you and answer your questions.

Regards Roland

IP Logged

trackrat
Novice

eat,sleep, Race

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 4:59pm

Yaahoo! More Miata's to play with !! hopefully we will have our own SM class at the track in the spring, get your ducks in a row and come play. I can hook you up with the guys at Miatacage for any questions you need answered or any purchases you need to make for your Miata. They are super guys to deal with.

Drop me an E mail anytime : traceyhazard80@hotmail.com

Tracey .

real racers turn right & left

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 3:38am

The 2010 CACC rules allow a car built to the current SCCA Spec Miata rules to run in IP3. This means all the rules. The 1600 & 1800 CC cars that do not fit the Spec Miata rules can run in IP if they meet the current SCCA IT rules. Read the CACC and SCCA rule books before making any more changes to your car.

IP Logged

Rob Dyck
Senior Racer

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 3:17pm

"and power disconnect."

Check into this thoroughly!!  It needs to disconnect ALL the power.....

IP Logged

jmracer86
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 5:06pm

Thanks alot for all the quick replies! I cant wait to race with everyone. Too bad I may not be racing at the start of the season since I need to get my car to full SM trim. I was keeping my fingers crossed that there would be flexibily with running the current suspension I have (Tein Type Flex coilovers) so I could use the $1500 for race fees, getting my lisence etc.
If anyone has a window net kit, fire supression, power disconnect please let me know.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 5:19pm

Give Frank at Driver's Edge a call for any new safety equipment. He's a sponsor of our Westcoast Sportscar Championship, and he has a van full of race gear set up at the track on our race weekends.

(604) 298-5575
info@driversedgeautosport.com

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 4:56am

You'll be a novice for the first 3 races, so don't worry about getting the suspension ready before the first race.

Also, your car is legal as is for IP3 (if it's a 1.6) or IP2 (if it's a 1.8 ), so you can just race there until you get it SM legal.

Finally, CACC currently doesn't have an SM class, so regardless of whether or not it's SM legal, you'll be racing against the IP3 or IP2 guys for most races of the year.

[edited for typos]

Generations Racing

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 6:24am

I have a window net kit (g-force, I think?) that you can have for free if you pick it up. It's new in the box and I think it's complete. They are pretty cheap though, if I remember right!

I live in North Burnaby, near Brentwood Mall. Send me a message if you want it!

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

norm60
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 6:55am

Welcome to the growing miata fleet. As others have indicated you will be racing in the novice category for the first 3 races so don't worry about class rules. After that it sounds as if you can probably run IP3 until you make your changes. If we succesfully get an SM class this year the IP3 will be in the same racing group so you will be on the track with other miatas.

I also run SM so feel free to contact me at nr.shaw@shaw.ca

Norm Shaw

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 8:01am

guess we'll have to get a miata now..... Grin

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 8:18pm

Better hold on to the bus...  Tongue

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

jmracer86
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 8:09am

unxetas wrote on Dec 3rd, 2010 at 6:24am:
I have a window net kit (g-force, I think?) that you can have for free if you pick it up. It's new in the box and I think it's complete. They are pretty cheap though, if I remember right!

I live in North Burnaby, near Brentwood Mall. Send me a message if you want it!

that would be awesome! i live in burnaby too close to marine and byrne. When can we meet up? Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print