Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Helping out a fellow racer (Read 9,916 times)
Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Helping out a fellow racer
Jan 13th, 2011 at 4:25am

It's been a busy, sad, happy, fun, tragic time over the past few months. A good friend and fellow racer got some very bad news and has a very limited time on this planet to realize his dream of completing and racing his GT3 RX3.
Steve has been building race cars for the past 15 years of his life, in Barry's shop over at Allan Autotech and at Specialty Engineering. He has been collecting parts and building his chassis for all 15 of these years, with the hopes of it seeing the track in the shadow of the infamous Otar from the westwood days. So, we at Retro, Allan autotech and Staff's auto have teamed up to complete the project in record time. 15 guys are working in two different shops to take the car from a tacked together tube frame, to a completed car in under 3 months (that means every evening and every weekend), but we still need some help. Please check out our website and follow the build and see what you can do to help a guy (that has taken driver training three times!) get on track for March. A small donation would go a long way.
Steve helped build my Roadster, staying after work to complete it, and without these kind of people around, I am sure more than one of us wouldn't be racing today.

Jeff Remfert
www.retroracingteam.com

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Re: Helping out a fellow racer
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:12am

I saw that car when Steve started it at Vance's place (was that really 15 years ago?).
I pledge $100 to help with this most admirable effort and if you think of anything else I may be able to help with let me know Jeff.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:53am

If you can't offer your support on the race car, please show up at a fundraiser for Steve and his family as they try and raise some funds so they can all go to Disneyland this Spring.

From the official invite:

Join us for an evening of “Fun Raising” to help send Steve, Shana and Chad to the Happiest Place on Earth… Disneyland

When: Saturday January 15, 2010
Time: 7pm - 10pm
Where: Jolly Mac’s Pub
            14815 108 Avenue
            Surrey, BC
            Ph. 604.584.4262
Tickets are $15/person @ the door and include: Burger (Beef or Chicken) and Beverage (Beer, Wine or Pop)

We will have toonie tosses, a silent auction and a wishing well.

So bring your toonies and open your wallets to help make Steve’s “Wish Come True”

Come Partywith Steve!

Where Dreams Come True...

RSVP
Email Susanne @ rick.sue@shaw.ca or
Phone Andra 604.888.0396

If you cannot attend, an account has been set up at Coast Capital Savings credit union in the name of the Martyn Family. Donations can be made to this account at any branch.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 6:21pm

Jeff,
You have PM

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 5:04pm

Last night was great with over 80 people in attendance. I don't know how much was raised, but the club donated a driver training to Steve.

Thank you to everyone who attended and donated.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:41pm

Great clip on the GlobalBC news this evening. Well done, folks.

IP Logged

Mike Carrick
Spectator

Racing is life. Everything
else is just waiting.

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 1:31pm

If you would like to see the Global TV feature that was done on Steve Martyn's RX3 follow this link.  http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=hyoW91w_y9hyfRoyM3SYIHIk80...

IP Logged

collin_Jackson
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:20pm

I heard That Steve Passed Away in hospital today.
Great guy
He will be missed
God Speed buddy.
Collin

IP Logged

Jeff
Senior Racer

go speed racer!!

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 8:50pm

Yes, Steve passed away only hours after Barry and some of the guys were able to present him a running car, just after the interview. It all happened so fast, we will miss him greatly.
Thank you to all of you that donated or helped, you all helped to make a dream come true.
We will be completing the final details on the car in the very near future, but now we need a little time to rest and reflect.
From a pile of parts and tubes to a national class gt3 car in 9 weeks. Shows what can be done if you chose to do it, no corners cut, Barry kept the quality and attention to detail at the highest standard. It's what Steve always wanted.

Jeff

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 7:31am

Sad news indeed. Our thoughts are with the family.
   Thank you's go out to all those who worked so hard to make Steve's dream a reality. I'm sure everyone would like to see Steve's car on the track as a tribute to him.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 7:40am

To the people who made this car happen,  YOU ARE TRULY THE BEST OF THE BEST.  My hats off to you, for helping with this dream.  Rest in peace Steve.

IP Logged

balancer
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 3:43pm

Rest in peace Steve you will be missed

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 5:58pm

Very sad: so glad he made it to Disneyland with his family and saw the car make so much progress before he left us.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 6:00pm

I don't think it can be overstated, you gentlemen truly displayed the best of humanity. In the purest sense of the word, selfless.

You have my greatest respect.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 7:40am

For anyone who wishes to attend the funeral and show your support for Steve's family, the services will be at:

Friday Feb 25, 3:00 PM
Avalon Funeral Home
13288 108th Ave.
Surrey

It's a couple of blocks West of the Gateway Skytrain station.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print