Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PRN Feb/2011 "clean vs. dirty racecraft" (Read 3,029 times)
JHCartwright
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

PRN Feb/2011 "clean vs. dirty racecraft"
Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:04am

I read with interest the Column by Aaron Povoledo and subsequent response from Randy Pobst.  I tried to find a link to copy, but couldn't.

To quote Pobst in part "....the passing car must get into your peripheral vision at or soon after the turn-in point.  This means the passer's nose must be to about the steering wheel of the car he's overtaking.  If he is only at the  rear wheel, he cannot be seen with-out the mirror, and no one should be looking in the rear-view mirror at turn-in....if the passing car can only make the rear wheel of the car in front, the driver of the trailing car must continue braking and allow the lead car room to take the line.....the overtaking car must earn the pass by taking the line away, which means getting far enough in to reach the line first in order to take the lead"

I agree with him 100%.  When initiating a turn in point, I'm always trying to check my mirrors for dive-bombers, instead of concentrating on the turn proper.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2011 at 7:10am by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Re: PRN Feb/2011 "clean vs. dirty racecraft&q
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 4:13am

There are a few drivers that have not quite mastered this. Grin Even after all these years. ??? Great point John. Here's hoping this is read by everyone Wink The new season is quickly approaching and......the first DT of 2011 in a couple of weeks.             Bob

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

JHCartwright
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 5:50am

I forgot to add, with apologies to Adam Redavid, Bryan Hellvang, Tom Davies, David Stenner, and maybe a few others, that I've been guilty in this department! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Re: PRN Feb/2011 "clean vs. dirty racecraft&a
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 2:52pm

I just had this conversation with a driver the other day, I thought this was well accepted behaviour; 'the nose of the overtaking car has to be within the vision of the car that is being overtaken'. Of course following on that accepted practise; 'when overtaking give the other car racing room'.
Many times cars that are faster on the straights are guilty of 'chopping' cars into the corner having misjudged the other cars braking. Usually it's small cars  being 'mistreated' by larger cars. Some 'ground pounders' don't get it '2000 lbs is easier to stop than 3400lbs!'

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 7:36pm

Good point about the vision thing.. Being a noob, I just recently realized that if, while overtaking, I give the overtaken car too much room (meaning if I don't get as close to his side as I safely can), I'm staying out of his field of view as well. He definitely won't see me in his mirrors if I'm more than a couple feet away and the farther away, the less chance he'll notice me in the peripheral vision..

I remember this being mentioned at driver training, but I had assumed it was more of a competitive advantage thing (better line into the corner + preventing the overtaken car from taking his normal line) rather than a safety concern.

I'm sure this is all obvious stuff, but while we're at it...

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print