Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trophies (Read 6,753 times)
Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Trophies
Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:54am

I'd like to run a proposal past all the drivers. Last year we supplied trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in every class at every race. These were your average plastic trophies of various sizes reflecting the finishing placing.

I'd like to propose that we only supply a trophy for first in class, but make it unique for the race weekend and off a higher quality. Basically spend the same budget but put it all towards a single trophy. We don't get a lot of people picking up their 2nd and 3rd place trophies, so I don't think this will affect too many people.

Thoughts?

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Re: Trophies
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 7:26am

After 40+ years of trying to store/display these dust collectors, I agree with your idea...but... when I was a rookie I actually wanted proof that I was making progress in the new hobby.  I thank we need to hear from our more recent additions to the racing world.

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 7:35am

Do I still count as a recent addition?

I end up keeping the trophies from the end of the year, the weekend trophies are all collecting dust in a box.  I wouldn't mind at all if we changed it so that only first in class gets a trophy.  Actually, I wouldn't mind at all if we only did trophies at the end of the season.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:03am

Speaking as a new driver in a class where I can at best hope for a slight chance of a 3rd place, I say go for it. If I ever get a 3rd place finish, I'll buy myself a trophy!

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

oldtransamdriver
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:07am

The only worthwhile trophy is CASH! You can always buy a trophy if you think you need one.

Robert Barg

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:23am

Maybe have 1st place only for classes up to 5 cars, 2nd place for 8+, 3rd place for 10+?  Seems a bit of a waste to have 3 trophies if you've only got 3 cars running in a class Smiley Feel free to adjust the numbers to suit the reality of the club, I haven't been looking at the closed wheel entry sheets very closely..

Or you could keep a stash of generic 2nd and 3rd place trophies for the heavily subscribed classes and still, with the classes that wouldn't get 2nd or 3rd place trophies, save some cash for a better 1st place prize.

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:10am

Thanks for the responses so far. Much appreciated.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

racestec
Pro Circuit

winning isn't everything
but losing sucks

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:13am

ICSCC dictates the trophy situation for their races. CACC does not. I kind of like the sliding scale suggestion. Another suggestion I have heard would be to offer (even sell) a single season plaque with a nice season specific engraved plate. It would be big enough to allow the competitor to affix race specific plates that would be given out instead of trophies,  i.e.  1st place Spring dash races May 12, 2011.  That way his entire season could be displayed on one nice non dust collecting wall hanging.

Ray Stec

IP Logged

Rob Dyck
Senior Racer

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:25pm

An idea that may possibly be best represented at a club meeting and voted on?

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 4:57pm

I was thinking on donating some trophies back to the club to re-label for other races. 
none of the first place ones of course Grin

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 4:04am

I like Ray's suggestion to have one plaque for the season that would have race-specific plates affixed to it.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Michael Lensen
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:09am

Judging by these responses and others I have heard over the years it is quite obvious that the plastic trophies all end up in some box in the basement, never to be looked at again.

Sure enough we can remove the weekend plate and return the trophies to the club for recycling, it would save the club some money, but on Sunday you are likely to take home that same ugly trophy you handed in on Friday.
Very little changes.

Another idea would be to have wooden wall plaques, they are more expensive than plastic trophies, so a sliding scale, as earlier suggested, should apply here.

But I like Ray`s suggestion for the simplicity it offers, one season plaque, and you add your victorious weekend plates.

We should find out what the cost difference would be over a whole season between the smaller weekend wooden plaques vs the larger season plaques.
The smaller plaques are more commonly used, the larger ones may well have to be custom made.

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:41am

What is the cost of a trophey these days? IMHO I would rather have the $$. I also think that $$ says that you received a partial return on your initial investment. However small it may be. That'll make anyone feel good. Grin The days of the trophies have faded away, I think.
The keepers, plaques, and year end memorabilia recognition items are a different issue. They should stay untouched.
That's my .02 Wink

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:55am

How about a nice little voucher towards your next event's entry fee?

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print