Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SPU prepped, which CACC class? (Read 9,842 times)
jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

SPU prepped, which CACC class?
Apr 17th, 2011 at 2:30pm

Looking at the rule book, I don't see a CACC class, and because I don't have fuel cell/fire system/tabbed glass(not needed for SPU) I can't run GTU. Is this correct?

Do I have to wait for a ICSCC weekend or run WSC?

Thanks

John
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2011 at 4:14pm by jrez »  

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Re: SPU prepped, which CACC class?
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 10:20am

Discription of your car and modifications will help one of us help you  Wink!

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 11:12am

Nothing really, just a slightly larger stock engine that comes in at 1970 cc. Header, K&N filter, oil cooler, thats it for mods. Car was teched last year for novice races.

Oh yeah, its a VW Scirocco 2.

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

ip2gsr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 4:35pm

Quote:
Nothing really, just a slightly larger stock engine that comes in at 1970 cc. Header, K&N filter, oil cooler, thats it for mods. Car was teched last year for novice races.

OK well if we look at the mods you mention one by one:
Header -> Allowed in IP2
Oil Cooler -> Allowed in IP2
Header -> Allowed in IP2
Larger than stock 1950 cc-> Well the devil is in the details here. 
If you reached the increase in displacement with a “40 over” increase in bore then you are allowed in IP2.  If that was through the change in crank or a bore that is more than 40 over stock (I strongly suspect that is the case) then that modification would not be allowed for IP2. 

The motor would drive you into a GT type class.  Typically GT cars are much faster than the road going cousins so the extra safety requirements are mandated by the rules and you would need to add the fuel cell, fire system, window clips etc. 

I know it doesn’t make sense that you can run on ICSCC weekends as an SPU classed car or you can run that configuration in West Coast without any trouble.  It is just the way the CACC rules are written. 

Three options the way I see it
- if you don’t want to change the car then the Westcoast series will happily accept your car as is.  That is the best option for now.

- If you want to run in the regular sprint classes I would recommend to swap your long block to a stock displacement motor.  The cost of a long block will be less than the cost of a fire system and fuel cell and given you can sell your long block you may come out even on the cash side.  If the stock displacement was below 1750 then you would be IP3 and if over that then your class would be IP2. 

- If you plan taking the car to the full limits of the GT rule set at some point in the future, then by all means pull out the wallet and start shedding weight and adding performance parts probably starting with slicks and the basic safety equipment you mentioned.

Best of luck

Dave

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 5:20pm

Thanks for the response.
The engine originally fitted(8v) was 1781 cc with 90 hp, so it already was past the mystical 1750 cc cutoff for IP2, even though it most definitely would have a hard time competing even in IP3 with its power to weight ratio.
The engine currently has been bored over from what I was told, and is still running the original CIS injection and smog tubing, etc, stuff. I was posting an average 1:26ish lap times with a very unsorted suspension.
I don't know of any other mods to it, but it is torqier than the stock engine.

Im thinking my current options are either WSC or ICSCC races, either of which Im ok with, and sign up for solo to maximize my track time. Im positive I'd be wasting my time trying to build a legal car to compete in IP2 as the competition would be unrealistic. The dyno chart for Jordy's IP3 acura is right up there with what a decent IP2 BMW e30 3 series would be putting to the wheels, so my 115-120ish expected legal crank hp is not worth spending money on. Doesn't ICSCC run these cars in the same classification? Im thinking they do, but I cant remember.

Thanks for the input, but short of buying/entering another honda in an already honda dominated field, it'll be conference, WSC, solo, or just run at Morrisport track days(lot of fun!).  Would be nice to mix it up with similar power/weight ratio car's, but that ain't the way the rules are written.

Cheers'

John

Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2011 at 6:39pm by jrez »  

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 8:47pm

John!

The WSC Registration form is really quick to fill out!  We need each other!   Grin

Larry

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:38am

Yup, planning on being there in May. Downloading the rules as I type this. There is another scirocco planning on doing same, for the same reasons, but not in May.

Question though, I did not get a vehicle logbook(they ran out and I only ran the run for the border weekend) last year, and I did not get a tech plaque, just a sticker on the cage. So for tech, because the car is SPU, do I have to get a conference logbook, or can CACC tech it?

Thanks again!

John

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:11am

Jim Kurtz can help with that question I'm sure, so my guess is that your car needs to have an Annual Inspection from CACC or from ICSCC (and a log book!) before it can run again in any case.  The safety stuff must suit the class its designated to run in, in either organization, and that qualifies it to run in WSC.  I'm sure Jim or Mike Currie will kick my butt if I'm wrong on that!  It will be great to have you in WSC!

Larry

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:17am

Run it in IP2 until someone protests you, who the heck is going to care when you are 10 seconds a lap away from being competitive. It gets you on the track, which is where we want you, it will not cost you any money and get it 'legal' as soon as you can Wink.
In the mean time get that WSC registration in, we'd love to have you join in the fun  Cheesy.

(and just before all you guys start trashing me for promoting 'cheating'; take a look around the paddock Roll Eyes)

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 10:17am

I'd ignore the previous remarks as they are somewhat inaccurate.

Your car MUST fit one of the classes and be legal for that class. If your car is not legal, assuming someone protested you, you would be excluded in all likelihood.

Mr. Robinson is correct, in part, in that there are some cars being run which are illegal but that might be about to change.

The rules for these classes were voted on by the competitors. They are the people who control the class structure. The only methodology for changing those rules is by attending the CACC meetings and VOTING. You must be a CACC license holder to vote.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:29am

To get a Cacc Log Book the car must be prepared to suit the class it will run in. Ip has a set of rules.
Production based cars that do fit into IP may run in GT if the meet the current Scca GT preparation rules or they may run in GTS if they only meet the current Scca GT safety rules.
Novices have not always been able to have a legal car,
but have been allowed to run after some consultation among the officials.
Obviously the scrutineers will be looking at this car if the owner were to request a log book.

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:56am

The conference site says that SPU cars are to be prepped to IT rules with regards to safety equipment and if under 2000cc do not require fuel cell or fire extinguishing system.

That in a nutshell is what the car is, with seat, cage purchased within the last 2 years. I can post the info later, as Im at work right now. Biggest problem during tech last year was Jim wanting me to redo the safety net installation and duct tape on the fire extinguisher. They asked about the cage, inspected it, put a sticker on it, so I figured it passed. I know I have to install another passenger side impact bar for this year. Belts and seat were purchased new from Frank last year(omp).
So to go further, do I have to schedule for a Annual inspection, or can I roll up on raceday? Being that I live in the Okanagan, and work in the north, it makes all this a little more difficult. Is there anyone in the Okanagan who could do it?

Thanks again all for all the input, and yeah, I should make an effort to make a club meeting. I spent a few weekends at Atlantic Motorsports park last summer, where they use power/weight classification, and there tight battles(golfs/crx's/etc) throughout the field. Would be cool to see that here. But that's another topic. Wink

Thanks, from Whitehorse.

John

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:25pm

Assuming that your vehicle and your personal safety equipment meet the requirements of the CACC regulations and the class regulations your are entering, an ANNUAL INSPECTION stamp could/would be applied to your logbook at the time of your regular inspection.

IP Logged

Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:35pm

You might want to look at past race results to see what you'd be up against in IP2.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:41pm

I can not speak for Conference. If they issue you a log book for your car it is not a guarantee that the car would be accepted at a Cacc race in its present form. Cars at a Cacc race must meet the Cacc safety and preparation requirements for the class they will run in. IP, GT or GTS is all there are for production based vehicles.
The roll cage minimum requirements for Cacc are the same for all production based cars. GT and GTS cars must also have window clips, fuel cells and on board fire systems to name a few.
Please read the Cacc rule book and prepare your car to suit.
See one of my previous posts regarding the latitude that has been granted to novices.
If the scrutineers were to find your car not complying
you would suffer the wrath of the Steward and would have to correct the problem before the car was allowed to race again. It does not take a protest to have this happen.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print