Send Topic Print
suspension question (Read 6,519 times)
DarrylMcPhail
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

suspension question
Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:00pm

I was reading the SCCA rule book under improved touring category authorized modifications

Springs and Shock Absorbers
1. Shock absorbers may be replaced provided that the
replacements (a) attach to the original mounting points,
and (b) are of a non-remote-reservoir design. The number
and type (e.g., tube, lever, etc.) of shock absorbers
shall be the same as stock. The interchange of gas and
hydraulic shock absorbers is permitted. External adjustments
of shock control shall be limited to two (2). No
shock absorber may be capable of adjustment while the
car is in motion.

does this mean i can't use coilovers like this because of the amount of adjustments that this one has

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/K_Sport/Suspension/Coilovers/Version...

thanks for the help
Darryl

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Re: suspension question
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:18pm

Legal AFAIK.  Compression + rebound adjustment = 2 adjustments.

When they say "36 levels of damping adjustment", they mean that the dial has indents in 36 places.  Marketing jargon.

Oh, but the adjustable camber top mount is legal *only* for Mcpherson strut cars.  If you have a double wishbone front setup (for example, an Integra), you need to make sure that the one you get doesn't have any form of camber adjustment.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2011 at 6:21am by Jordy Isaak »  

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:20pm

I also read this as a double adjustable (rebound & compression) shock, says nothing about an adjustable spring perch for height.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:50am

If you read the whole section in the Scca GCR you will find the info regarding coil overs.

5. Chassis
a. Ride Height
1. Minimum ride height is five (5) inches, to be measured
without driver at the lowest point of the rocker panel, but not to include welded seams or fasteners.
b. Springs and Shock Absorbers
1. Shock absorbers may be replaced provided that the
replacements (a) attach to the original mounting points,
and (b) are of a non-remote-reservoir design. The number and type (e.g., tube, lever, etc.) of shock absorbers shall be the same as stock. The interchange of gas and hydraulic shock absorbers is permitted. External adjustments of shock control shall be limited to two (2). No shock absorber may be capable of adjustment while the car is in motion.

2. MacPherson strut equipped cars may substitute struts,and /or may use alternate inserts. Spring seat ride height location may be altered from stock. Remote reservoir struts and/or inserts are prohibited. External adjustments of shock control shall be limited to two (2)
3. Springs of any origin may be used, provided they are of the same number and type as originally fitted, i.e., coil, leaf, torsion bar, and that they shall be installed in the original location using the original system of attachment. The joining of two or more coil springs by any means is prohibited.
The use of tender springs are permitted. Shackles
or spacers may be used to adjust leaf spring ride height.
Spacers, including threaded units with adjustable spring
seats, may be used with coil springs. Coil over threaded
body shock/struts are permitted.

4. Spacers or lowering blocks may be used between leaf
springs and the point(s) of attachment to the axle housing.

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 10:12am

TECHMAN wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:50am:
If you read the whole section in the Scca GCR you will find the info regarding coil overs.

5. Chassis
a. Ride Height
1. Minimum ride height is five (5) inches, to be measured without driver at the lowest point of the rocker panel, but not to include welded seams or fasteners.
b. Springs and Shock Absorbers
1. Shock absorbers may be replaced provided that the replacements (a) attach to the original mounting points, and (b) are of a non-remote-reservoir design. The number and type (e.g., tube, lever, etc.) of shock absorbers shall be the same as stock. The interchange of gas and hydraulic shock absorbers is permitted. External adjustments of shock control shall be limited to two (2). No shock absorber may be capable of adjustment while the car is in motion.

2. MacPherson strut equipped cars may substitute struts,and /or may use alternate inserts. Spring seat ride height location may be altered from stock. Remote reservoir struts and/or inserts are prohibited. External adjustments of shock control shall be limited to two (2).

3. Springs of any origin may be used, provided they are of the same number and type as originally fitted, i.e., coil, leaf, torsion bar, and that they shall be installed in the original location using the original system of attachment. The joining of two or more coil springs by any means is prohibited.

The use of tender springs are permitted. Shackles or spacers may be used to adjust leaf spring ride height. Spacers, including threaded units with adjustable spring seats, may be used with coil springs. Coil over threaded body shock/struts are permitted.

4. Spacers or lowering blocks may be used between leaf springs and the point(s) of attachment to the axle housing.

I guess this means that coil-overs in place of a transverse leaf is out of the question for IP...

Cheers,
Darwin.

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 11:00am

Yes.

IP Logged

DarrylMcPhail
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:23pm

So I can use them if they don't have adjustable camber plates ??

IP Logged

DarrylMcPhail
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:26pm

It's for a crx if that helps

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:37pm

TECHMAN wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 11:00am:
Yes.

Copy that, thanks!

I'll save that mod for GT then.   Wink

Cheers,
Darwin.

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:08am

DarrylMcPhail wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:26pm:
It's for a crx if that helps

Double wishbone, like the Integra.  The shocks won't have camber adjustment, so they'll be legal.

Interesting spring rates they chose for the CRX, I admit I'm curious to see how it works on the track.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

DarrylMcPhail
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 5:46am

I emailed them for more info just to double check to see if they have camber plates

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:28am

What is the type and model of car  in question? If its a Honda/Acura  ,Having camber plates on the top shock mount. Dosnt do anything , It only mounts the shock and spring package. Camber is obtained by eccentric bushings on the  upper A arm, Honda / Acura Spring rates and shocks are a nown factor .  Dont try to re-enginier the wheel, your best option is Ground control coilover package with Koni Yellow Race shocks and Ibach 2 and a half inch springs  which is good up till a 1000lb spring rates. This set up would be even be ok for GT , Crx sping rates range from F-400  R-600  to F-600   R800  Acura Integra Can run as High as F900  R1100 these combinations can run with or without F and R sway bars ,there are no secrets here ,,,,   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print