Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
We need a class - just for this guy (Read 7,710 times)
ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

We need a class - just for this guy
Oct 24th, 2011 at 6:40pm

This is about the best craigslist ad I have ever seen.  Send him a free driver training I say!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/2619410616.html

Repost from the PRO3 forum...

R

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Ex Member

Re: We need a class - just for this guy
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 5:51am

Yeah, he'll fit right in with registration and tech. Uh-huh! no problems there.
R I G H T !!
Cool ad though. Kind of sums up the difference between us & them, old & new,  doesn't it?

Grin

IP Logged

ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 9:47am

Well that is exactly my point - there is a whole other community of car people out there.   This is a market of track renters, driver training candidates etc that I don't think we really pay attention to. I think our motto is "build it and they will come".  If we want to grow then we will need to figure out how to appeal to another generation of folks.

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 11:08am

OMG, that's a good ad, alright!

Sign this guy up for DT in the spring, for sure...

D.

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 12:24pm

ryano wrote on Oct 25th, 2011 at 9:47am:
Well that is exactly my point - there is a whole other community of car people out there.   This is a market of track renters, driver training candidates etc that I don't think we really pay attention to. I think our motto is "build it and they will come".  If we want to grow then we will need to figure out how to appeal to another generation of folks.

Some of my thoughts, based on the people I know who are into the JDM scene, drifting, and drag racing.

- In a lot of ways, these guys are not looking to compete with others directly.  In particular, they're not looking to race against other guys with cars that are closely matched in performance.

What they do want is to do engine swaps, add turbo kits, and generally make their ride as cool as possible.  What they love about drifting is *not* the speed, but rather the show and the feeling of being right on the edge of losing control.

What they don't want to do is gut their ride, cage it or otherwise make it unusable as a street car.

So, with that in mind:

- I think building on our driver training program would be the best way to get these people out to the track more.  In addition to the two driver training events we host each year, host several lapping days that are open to people that have completed our driver training or have previous lapping experience.  Make it a one-day event for half the price of the driver training and have a few instructors on hand in case anybody wants feedback.

From our perspective this would be easier to run than the driver training weekends because we wouldn't have to do a classroom session and we could run it with 10 instructors instead of the 20-30 that we require for driver training, plus it wouldn't require an entire weekend's commitment.

From their perspective they don't have to gut and cage their car to get track time, plus they won't have to keep a second car just for the track or worry about what they are and aren't allowed to modify.  This is a *huge* obstacle that is keeping people away right now.

- Perhaps we should consider hosting a drifting event.  The guys at Pacific Raceways have done at least one that I know of using turns 3A and 3B.  We could probably use turns 1 and 2 as a drift area and use turns 3-4 as a return road with cars crossing over to the straightaway after turn 4.  Either that or have the return road go around all the way and have a staging area halfway down the straight.  With the short run ups, cars shouldn't be able to get over 80-100 km/h or so, making it safe to do with an approved helmet as safety equipment.

If desired, I could get in contact with some local guys who are into drifting and see if there is any interest there.

- The developers of the extremely popular racing simulation series "Forza Motorsport" are located in Redmond, Washington.  We should be talking to them about getting Mission Raceway into their games as a driveable track. Literally millions of people play these games, and there is a pretty strong crossover between the JDM and drift crowds with video games.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 1:28pm

Are you guys kidding, THIS GUY has NO desire to race anything , He is a very creative person who should be writing comercials on TV to sell cars.  Grin

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 1:37pm

I agree, this guy has no interest.

The kind of guy that will buy this car from him is who I'm talking about in my last post.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 1:46pm

Jordy Isaak wrote on Oct 25th, 2011 at 1:37pm:
I agree, this guy has no interest.

The kind of guy that will buy this car from him is who I'm talking about in my last post.

I doubt it! LOL

IP Logged

ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 7:06pm

Jordy -

You are 100% correct.  We have to do more to broaden the appeal of the track and our club.  Lets engage with the other clubs, hold a drift event, hold a rally cross, whatever.  We need  more people to be a part of race weekends to grow the club.

BTW the EA guys were at the track, they would have gotten more involved but we are not their target demographic - the guy who posted the ad is.

Time to think outside of the box. 

BTW I would enter the WSC but only if it was run entirely at night.

Smiley

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 3:41am

At least somebody actually read what I wrote Smiley.

Ryan, the developers I had in mind aren't EA, they're called Turn 10.  Their games are more simulation oriented than the Need For Speed series that EA makes, and they actually already have several real tracks from the States in the game, including Infineon and Laguna Seca.  They might be more open than EA to doing this.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:41am

Ryan and Jordy, you both make very good points about other groups being out there - this ad is a great example. Whether or not we can actually get them to accept having an event at Mission, within an SCCBC weekend is probably the toughest sell. IMO, they will never become part of road racing as we exist today.

Have a look at the CACC website links page to the Autoslalom pages and their events. I think they are way ahead of us on this and have been holding lapping events at the Mission for several years now. It is somewhat structured, but less than a race weekend.

This could be a very good topic at the upcoming CACC meeting, either as part of the Race meeting or general.

IP Logged

zer0fighter
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 9:08am

Hey guys,
Stan Guy sent me the link to this post, and I'm always interested in trying to get more going on in the motorsports scene in Vancouver for sure.

I work on NFS at EA, and also write for Speedhunters.com on occasion. I've hung out with the VRCBC guys a couple of times and also some local race teams racing in the SCCA.

I think there definitely would be room for some drift days at Mission, I've had quite a few people at EA here ask me if there was anything available.

Also regarding getting Mission into a racing Sim, I could talk to the guys who make NFS Shift series. They are planning on something in the next couple of years. Typically games like Gran Turismo and Forza though would only include tracks that are internationally known, so I'm not sure if Mission fits the bill. Could always get it built for a game like rFactor though!

IP Logged

ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 10:51am

Hey Zerofighter - send me an email and lets talk.

ryanoc@shaw.ca

IP Logged

Coastal
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 5:16am

Hey guys, just going through old threads and came across this one.  I spend time online with many sides of the motorsports scene, grip racing, hot rods and drift related sites.  I can tell you in the lower mainland especially, the drift guys are starving for a place to run.  The island sold out their practice session for February 25th/2012 at western speedway in about 2 days.

I am building a car right now that is straddling the line between drift car and grip car because I think both disciplines are amazing, and each have their own skill sets....its hard to decide! I also race short course off road which is my other passion...(ps we are getting a permanent off road race track in the lower mainland later this year!)

If you want help getting the track rented out to a mature respectable zero tolerance for jackass's group of guys, I would love to help out and spread the word.  I've been track director at Kamloops Off Road Racing for a couple years, I helped organize the off road racing at the tradex last summer, so I know a lot of the in's and out's of making these things happen.

Let me know,

Rob

IP Logged

Coastal
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 5:49am

Email.....rob at raceoffroad dot ca

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print