Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
An interesting read from the G & M (Read 10,330 times)
Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
An interesting read from the G & M
Dec 17th, 2011 at 4:39am

IP Logged

oldtransamdriver
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: An interesting read from the G & M
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 6:57am

This kid has a huge advantage - daddy has lots of bucks.

Robert Barg

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 11:03am

Unfortunately for alot of young talented drivers this is the new reality in racing. Not only do you need talent and maketability to get to the top levels of racing ,you need a great deal of financial backing .The cost to travel to opportunities and to " buy rides" with the right teams can be very high.  This is unfortunate for the many who may indeed be better drivers than those who have the prized seats,but were never able to afford the pice to get there.
good luck to this young man as it would be nice to cheer on a canadian again at the F1 level again.

RS

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 8:47am

It's an incredible world we live in.. Unfortunately F1 (and most other pro level motorsport classes) isn't possible for anyone who dreams of getting there - unless your parents thought of it first! And had the means to get you there, of course...

Then again, there's millions of fans and only 24 spots. The chances of being an NHL player are huge compared to getting an F1 seat.

Great article though, I think it gives us a tiny glimpse of how special these guys have to be.

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 5:04pm

What's "special", and unfortunate is that these drivers are the best of the privileged. The chances are nil for a youngster without incredible financial backing. They have no hope anymore of making it, regardless of how much talent they possess.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:34am

Guess it pays to stay in school !  Undecided

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 7:01am

Well, it might pay for your kid! But if you stay in school long enough to make serious bucks, it'll be too late for you anyway Smiley

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

a.senna
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 8:35am

Well thats nothing new. Nelson Piquet was the son of a rich diplomat,  Adrian fernandez's family was loaded, de Cesares 's family owned some marlboro rights, even Senna 's rich family had to pay his way through 3 feeder series. 
The only regular guys that seem to have made it have been very lucky to be in the right place at the right time  (mansell had a good test with lotus , and the press still said there were better choices!), or have been picked up by agents/ sponsors at an early age ( schumacher, Vettel,) after showing a special talent in european karting. 

Even Nascar 's feeder seats are money driven. If i was a young guy and wanted to make it I would move to Europe ( where companies actually sponsor drivers not hockey arenas) and run some big kart races in the hopes of getting noticed.  But to run at that level is still $10,000 per kart race. At least thats what it was 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 7:11pm

The rich and the privileged have advantages! Stop the presses (computers) let the 99%ers know they have to lower their expectations and then maybe they can learn to enjoy their lives.
Due to the generosity of one Bob William I was able to compete in a Chumpcar race at Laguna Seca on Thursday. I don't care how rich you are you can't have more fun than that: Bob, Gayle Baird and Al Harvey made up the 'No Borders' race team. Grin Grin Grin Grin (it may take a while to wipe the smiles off our faces).
The Ladner Chevron team finished 17th out of 35.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

oldtransamdriver
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 6:56am

Hey Keith, what $500 crap-can were you racing?  How tough are the safety rules etc?  Any photos?

Are any "chumpers" likely to go SCCA or similar racing? or is most of the field already in SCCA?

Congrats to you and your fellow chumpers. 

Happy Holidays to all,

Robert Barg

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #10 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 1:01pm

Hi and a Ho Ho to you Bob.
We raced Bob Williams #13 1990 Honda Civic (there are photos on www.chumpcar.com).
The whole Chumpcar format is hard to discribe so I'll talk with you at the next meeting but I can tell you it is one hell of lot of fun with minimal official 'help' Roll Eyes.
Seven and a half hours without a pace car; a few full course yellows and not a single significant incident Cheesy.
All vehicles are checked for safety; just a whole lot of 'grassroots' racing and at LAGUNA SECA, it doesn't get any better Smiley Smiley Smiley!!

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #11 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Forgot your other question Embarrassed.
Approximately 140 drivers (35x4) with experience ranging from decades (for some of us) to first times WITHOUT even a novice race to their name! NO practice, TWO laps under yellow and away we went Shocked Smiley Wink Cheesy.

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 7:51am

Yup, some people have the wrong idea about LeMons and Chump car.. I got hooked on racing by doing a LeMons race at Thunderhill. It was my first time ever driving a "race" car, first time ever around Thunderhill, first time ever on ANY track. The race started with 160 cars! After a few very nervous laps, I managed to relax and realized everyone was there with the same goal - finish a very long race without incidents.

In 16 hours or racing, there were a couple of love taps here and there, but despite the goofy penalties and comically worded rules, they are very serious about safety and responsible driving. They do not take kindly to contact of any kind - with LeMons it's an immediate black flag to every car involved in a collision, regardless of fault. It's a great format, lots of fun and promotes good driving and incredible displays of backyard engineering. It seems to me like Chump car is a slightly less goofy version of LeMons where the racing is taken a bit more seriously, while LeMons is really all about the show. Anyone considering doing either of these events has my full recommendation, you WILL have a blast!

Keith, why don't you rub it in a bit more - where was this Chump car race again? I didn't hear ya the first time Tongue

Cheers
Tiago

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 2:23pm

Well Tiago, you drive 19 hours south on I 5 with two old idiots chatting and with BSing in great abundance and you arrive at Carmel. About 10 miles up the road from there you will find a state park and within that park you find one of the great tracks in North America LAGUNA SECA Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Wink.
Thunderhill and The Ridge are next on my list for Chumping.
We only started with 35 cars I can't image over 100 Shocked; but I'm looking forward to it Cheesy.

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 2:37pm

Laguna again in Feb. Grin and Infineon in Dec. Grin Lots of time for Keith to get ready. I know Al and Gayle are already packed. It was and will be again.......pretty cool Kiss

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print