Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Buying fasteners.. on a Saturday? (Read 5,439 times)
unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Buying fasteners.. on a Saturday?
Feb 25th, 2012 at 10:15am

Alright, I was planning to get started on fixing up my car this weekend, but having trouble buying a bunch of nuts and bolts.

I guess I would have had a lot more luck yesterday, but I left it late in the day and then the place I picked didn't have what I needed, such is my luck. Fastenal, Indufast, BC fasterners were all closed by then and are not open Saturdays.

Also seems like buying small quantities of nuts and bolts isn't easy. Any good local sources? I need a few 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 bolts, in various lengths, mostly grade 5 with a few grade 8's. And nyloks to fit them all Smiley

I can order this stuff on the internet, but it shouldn't be that complicated, eh?

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Posy
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: Buying fasteners.. on a Saturday?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 11:07am

Have you tried Home Depot or Canadian Tire as they have loose nuts and bolts even metric by the nails

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 12:11pm

I was trying to avoid home depot, not sure how much trust I should put on their 'grade 5' stuff. Still, they don't have grade 8's Sad

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 2:26pm

Try Pacific Fasteners in Burnaby. Not open on Saturdays.

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 2:46pm

That was the place I tried yesterday - not sure if it`s a new thing or if he just wanted to get me the hell out of there, but they said they had no Grade 5 or 8 fasteners, just stainless and other corrosion proof stuff.

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 8:18pm

The best place to buy fasteners of almost any type, hex, allen head, std or metric is Alder Auto in Port Kells. I believe they also have a location on 176th in Cloverdale. And yes, you can buy one bolt, and they're open Saturdays. It's a racer's best friend.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 1:08pm

+1  on Alder auto
            Great Hardware selection

rs

IP Logged

daved
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 5:45am

Don,t forget the Lordco right across from the racetrack.  Because the Mission store is a major industrial supplier, they have an extensive stock of grade 5, grade 8, socket head cap screws, metric, stainless, and even AN fittings.  Open Sat. and Sun., too.  There may be other Lordco locations that have the same industrial stock as well.  (Don't work there, but sure have spent my share of money there over the years! lol)

Dave

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 7:39am

I'm in Burnaby, so I tried the big Lordco just off Douglas Road. They used to have a big rack of fasteners as well, but when I went there yesterday, I was pointed to a spinning rack with packs of fasteners. Had some grade 8 stuff, but not in the size I needed and no grade 5's..!! I find it hard to believe they didn't have more stuff in the warehouse, but he clearly wasn't interested in going out to look for them.

Thanks for the tips about Alder Auto, I'll try them next time for sure! I can't make it out there during the week though and will be working weekends for a while, so.. Interwebs to the rescue. Who would have thought that I'd be buying nuts and bolts from the internet! But at least I won't have a 21 year old part time clerk rolling his eyes that I NEED a 1/2" UNC 5.5" Grade 8 bolt. "Really? Can't be 5? Or 6? And it needs to be grade 8?.."

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print