Send Topic Print
gt 3/4?? 510 (Read 6,237 times)
danvan
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

gt 3/4?? 510
Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:08pm

i just bought a datsun 510 gt type race car this car has been raced at mission in the past cacc tag no 193 is there any way of finding out if this car will meet current specs it was last raced in 2004 the previos owner is looking for the original log book
thanks
dan

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: gt 3/4?? 510
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 1:45am

Difficult to comment without actually seeing the car (or, photos). If it has an FIA seat or the driver's seat is mounted to the x-bar and the belts are current you shouldn't have much to do.

BUT, without actually seeing the car I wouldn't care to be specific.

We'll need to actually see the car, I think.

Mike

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:24am

Quick answer;  L16 runs a 25mm S.I.R. in GTL, L18 runs 24.5mm S.I.R. in GTL (there is no GT4 anymore)
Both engines run unrestricted in GT3.
Some significant changes have been made in respect of safety since 2004. As Mike says, no real determination can be made until a qualified inspector has a look at it.
Wheel intrusion bars ? Double door bars both sides ? Seat back brace may be required. Should have the other required GT safety stuff from it's days in 2004 but until they look....

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:00pm

It also runs in a group called GTU  Wink

WHO's car was it?

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 3:28am

Log book was issued to Peter Weedon.

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 12:22pm

Paul is partially correct about engines, but there are a lot of other Nissan motors that you can run if you choose GT Lite. Check the latest SCCA online Rules PDF, I think there are at least 15, from A-series all the way to multi-valve & fuel injection to choose from. It lists all of the intake requirements, weights, etc.

Another good source for Datsun/Nissan racers would be   www.the510realm.com

Also, Chris mentioned GTU as another class to run without any concern for the dreaded S.I.R. That certainly has more cars supporting it this year at River's Edge and would be a good choice too.

Lorne (Sign Guy) Grin

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 1:32pm

I had assumed that an old 510 last raced in 2004 wasn't likely to have been purchased with a transplanted newer Nissan powerplant so I gave the quick answer, but again Lorne is right there are many choices so consult the rule book if I didn't answer adequately.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

danvan
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 5:25am

I had planed on a new seat and belts i was more worried about the basic cage constructiion. I do not want to come down for the September race weekend and have the car not leagel to run i live in pg so its a bit of a trip and hard to get down for a pre race inspection .
So i think my question is have the basic cage design rules changed since 2004.
Dan

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 6:04am

just make sure it has the foot box bars and im sure the rest will be fine?
you can find ifo on the cage design on the CACC Web site

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 6:38am

Take some photographs of the cage and send them to me at michael_currie@telus.net or to Jim Kurtz.

Things we'd need to know:

1: dashboard cross bar
2: two side intrusion bars on EACH side of driver's compartment
3: seat? Is it an 8858-1999 or 8862-2009 FIA rated seat? If not, it must be mounted to the cross-bar behind the driver's seat.
4: new belts? SFI or FIA?

The basic cage design has NOT changed with the exception of the requirements for two side-instrusion bars on each side of the car and foot-box bars which may go forward of the firewall.

If you have a look at the SCCA GT specs on their website or the CACC rollcage specs on the CACC website you can see what I'm referring to.

Don't be afraid to ask. I'll try and answer where I can.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print