Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing a Halonite fire suppression system (Read 6,581 times)
Pigpen
Ex Member

Removing a Halonite fire suppression system
Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:42pm

Has anyone had experience removing a Halonite Fire System without setting it off?

Would I be correct in assuming I just need to undo the three slotted screws around the top?

Is it possible to put a non halon system onto the current fittings or do I need to replace everything in the car?

IP Logged

racestec
Pro Circuit

winning isn't everything
but losing sucks

Re: Removing a Halonite fire suppression system
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 6:38am

Just don't cut the red wire!!! Shocked

Ray Stec

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:18am

First as to the removal, I'd check with the folks at Driver's Edge. I think this may be one of their products. Also, if you're changing fire suppression "ingredients" you'll likely need to change the nozzles. I know that halon to AAAF change requires a nozzle change.

Again, Driver's Edge will be able to tell you. Or, the original supplier, whomever that was.

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 10:40am

Halonite....1.336.760.3473
another
Specialty Engineering.....Andy Pearson..604.598.9232

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 11:30am

If you're replacing it, it might be more spectacular to just set it off! Shoot some video, too Cheesy

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 12:40pm

The system would probably have originated in North Carolina.

What bothers me about setting it off is that I'm likely to get a face full of whatever is in it - I know my luck on these sorts of things.

We are also trying to keep my budget down (not much room left on the old MasterCard).

I'll try to stop by Franks tomorrow. Sounds like I may need to re-do the whole system, which is more work than I had planned to do before the CCGP.

Mike

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 4:46pm

Can't you just remove the whole thing as is, pull cable and all?

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:30pm

Does that bottle have a gauge?

If it's still charged, why not continue to use it? While you can't refill the bottle in Canada, it is still legal and sensible to use it until such time as you do blow it off. 

It is still legal to import Halon extinguishers to Canada, you just can't fill or re-fill them here! If it has no gauge, look for a weigh stamp with a total wt. on it, which you can then check on a scale.

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:38pm

I can, but it is a real pain. The bottle is mounted by the fuel cell and the cable goes through all the panelling in the car up to the front of the car (intertwined with wiring and other crap). Over the winter I plan on cleaning up some of this, but now it is just a matter of getting the car ready for the CCGP, so I don't want to wast time redoing stuff that is fine as it is. I have enough stuff on the must do list.

The joys of buying a 25 year old car from the US that has been modified multiple times on the quick over the years. It was built for the 1985 Trans Am series, and I suspect there is a lot of stuff that has been changed over the years to meet updated safety standards. On the plus side (from a vintage stand point) most the running gear appears to be period correct - although it was re-bodied in '87.

IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:16pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I talked to Frank today and I am going to have to replace everything, different systems use different pressures etc. so the nozzles will not be compatible.  He will have my new system ready on Friday. So much for quick and easy.

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 5:27pm

I know someone who may want the old system if its still full.

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:54pm

There is no pressure gauge. As far as I know it is still full, but the collar is corroded on indicating it has not been checked in years, which is why I've opted just to put in the new system. I do not expect it ever to be used, but I want to know it is good and will work if it is needed (don't care about the car if there is a fire, but want to be sure the driver is protected and has time to get out safely).

I've discovered that although the engine, brakes, suspension, and steering have been well maintained some of the other stuff has not been that closely monitored - fortunately I have not come across anything catastrophic and expect the car to be up to snuff by Monday. That said I have not come across anything (other than possibly the fire suppression system) that would cause the car to fail tech other than the stuff I already knew needed to be replaced (like outdated seat belts).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print