Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rule change for FIA seat-back braces? (Read 2,731 times)
Darwin
Novice

BC
Rule change for FIA seat-back braces?
Oct 2nd, 2012 at 11:04am

I seem to remember reading a discussion about adding/clarifying a rule about having to use a seat-back brace to the cage on FIA homologated seats.

Not sure if this was on the forum or in the club meeting minutes - but, as memory serves the idea was that if an FIA homolgated seat was over 5 years old that it would require a seat-back brace.  I believe this was to come into affect for the beginning of next season.

Anyone remember the details?  Did I remember correctly?

Cheers,
Darwin.

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: Rule change for FIA seat-back braces?
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 11:34am

I believe you've read the situation correctly. Better attend the fall General Meeting on (I believe) November 4th (or thereabouts).

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 4:17pm

The FIA seats certified to the 8855-1999 have 5 year lifespan. If the seat is past 5 years from when it was made then you could send it back to its maker for re-certification for 2 years, buy a new seat or attach the seat back to the roll cage. If your seat is certified to the FIA standard 8862-2009 then it is good for 10 years.
See the FIA website for all the info. I urge all racers to buy the best safety equipment. The FIA stuff costs money, but is likely tested to a higher standard. How much is your body and its parts worth?

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:30am

Thanks for the info.  My seat is certified to 8855-1999, and was built in May of 2009, so I'm good until the beginning of the 2014 season.  Kind of wish I'd put that brace in while the cage was being built though.  Would have saved another trip to the fab shop...

Cheers,
Darwin.

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print