Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Query about KERS and DRS systems (Read 3,622 times)
Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Query about KERS and DRS systems
Nov 19th, 2012 at 7:04am

I haven't been watching too many F1 events until this weekend at Texas. The Drag Reduction and Kinetic Energy systems are interesting. Can they be used on each lap of a race, and can they be used together? Ie: on overtaking can the 'attacking' driver push both buttons at once? Why wouldn't they? I thoughht I heard the announcers says approx 6.67 seconds, is that per lap or per race event?

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: Query about KERS and DRS systems
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 8:07am

On each circuit there are defined areas where the drag reduction system (DRS) can be used during the race.

The Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) "recharges" whenever the brakes are applied, I believe. There is a finite amount of addition power available and your number of 6 seconds sounds about right. Once that's used it is necessary to wait for the system to recharge before applying it again. It may be used at anytime the driver wishes.

I hope I'm right.

Personally, I'd like to see them do away with both.
Mike

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 9:16am

That's how I understand it too. Add in some stuff about the DRS detection line and having to be within 1 second of the car in front of you for the DRS to be activated and you know what I know. It makes for more passing certainly but the KERS system seems to be un-necessary. If everyone's got it then why does anyone/everyone need it ? I guess it's one more power adder that you have to learn how and when to use to maximize it's advantage, but as in Mark Weber's failure to complete yesterday's race it was the reason (or one of the reason) he had an unexpected and uncommon DNF.

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:04am

F1 wants to appear to be green by using hybrids.

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 6:44pm

I hate the artificial add-ons as much as anyone, but would you prefer the bore fest races of 3 or 4 seasons ago?

And yeah, it's a bit of green wash to use KERS to appear greener, given how wasteful the sport is. But KERS has trickled over and helped develop some of the technology they're using in LeMans hybrids, which eventually will trickle down to road cars... Meh.

Kers is a strategic tool, it's interesting to see how it can be used both defensively and to overtake. The DRS is harder to justify, doesn't make sense to give the car behind such a great advantage, but with modern aerodynamics, it's so hard to overtake without it. They're so aero dependent that being in the dirty air is a huge disadvantage. Cars would catch up to the lead car and be a second faster, but get close enough and you lose downforce in the dirty air.

KERS can be used for a few seconds every lap and gives an 80hp boost if I remember right.. The 6.7 second counter gets reset at the start finish. Recharges under braking, but they're more limited by the time limit set by the rules than the amount of braking energy they can accumulate.

DRS is enabled in the dry and a couple laps after the start/restart. The tracks have a DRS detection line - if a car is within 1 second of the car in front, they can use the DRS system on the following straight.. It flattens one of the rear wing planes which reduces drag.. Depending on setup, it can increase top speed by around 20km/h or more!

DRS can be used freely in practice and qualy, but that's changing next year, as the drivers feel it's getting too dangerous and have asked for a rule change. Basically they're opening the rear wing sooner and sooner out of every corner, eventually someone is going to back it into a wall at 190mph..

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 2:26pm

Add to all that the 'balls to the wall, hang it all out we have nothing to loose' button that allows a driver maximum power, maximum fuel and maximum engine mapping Shocked.
I believe that's what McLaren has used with Hamilton for the last two races and will probably use next weekend. No world champion, no constructors championship they have only GP wins to go for with nothing to lose.
Should be a great finale, especially if it rains which is the current forecast!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print