Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
seat back brace , bad idea (Read 9,121 times)
Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
seat back brace , bad idea
Feb 4th, 2013 at 2:57pm

I am wondering who came up with the seat back brace idea and why?

after re- installing a brace back into my car due to an older FIA seat , I noticed that the main support for my seat is infact not in the center of the seat back, but rather on the sides.

This now brings up a great question of a support bracket Ramming through my seat and into my spine in an accident.

only way to prevert this is a HUGE , heavy plate which may spread the blow to the sides of the seat.
The bracket would have to reach to the outer edges of the seat which would be about 16" across.

I think I would rather have the seat break !!! then be pounded in the spine.

To TECH : Yes I have installed the required seat back brace but NO! I am not happy about it.

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Re: seat back brace , bad idea
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:54pm

Try a different design; you can use a simple strip of steel (1.5X.125) attached to the seat and run vertically to the roll bar.
I did this a couple of years ago and it was accepted by tech.
The rule doesn't specify how you attach the seat they just don't want it shearing off the mounts and rolling around inside the car! Smiley

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:57pm

The vertical piece of steel also prevents the top of the seat bending backwards like JP Skinners did a few years ago Wink.

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Rye
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:29pm

I've got an "expired" FIA seat that will need a back brace this year as well. I like the vertical strap to the roll bar idea MUCH better than the "stick to the spine" setup that Dood has described.

Anyone from Tech able to speak to this? I'm sure others may be interested in this interpretation.

Richard

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 10:26am

It's not that anyone is attempting to avoid answering your questions, in case you are thinking that. It's more that it's difficult to fomulate an intelligent response when we have to consider the number of avriables that might be involved.

First I would suggest that you read the pertinent regulations in all three sanctioning bodies rulebooks. That's CACC, SCCA and Conference. That will give you a (hopefully) clear understanding of what the requirements are.

Then I would suggest that you consider carefully ALL the other little variables that might be involved. For instance, do you want to be able to move the seat to accomodate different sized drivers. This might be important if you are renting your car to someone. We have some suggestions on that front, if you're interested.

I'd also point out that mounting may be different for different cars. 

I realise that this is a bit of a non-answer, but I'd say there are lots of possible solutions to the question.

Mike

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 3:35pm

The CACC and SCCA rules seem to have the same requirement. If the seat does not meet the FIA requirements, then the seat back must be attached to the roll bar or its braces. I suggest that everybody consider having a FIA seat. Failing that, the idea that the brace could punch into the spine says that one needs to be a little more creative in the design of the brace. A mounting plate as large as possible attached to the seat back and then an attachment to the roll bar would meet the rules, probably remove the spine punching problem and could be designed to be adjustable for different drivers.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:52am

I find that this rule has left the door open to make anything we see fit,  No direction on material, mounting hardware , or size of the plate   

So i guess my cardboard seat back brace can be duct taped to the roll cage  Grin

JUST KIDDING!

I will make it from wood  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:12am

If you read the whole rule you will find that the word firmly is in it.

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:19am

Hey 'Ego Boy' try seeking advice from some more experienced drivers, I'm sure there must be one or two that would be willing to help you Wink.
'The Old Man' Grin

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:32pm

Keith Robinson wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:19am:
Hey 'Ego Boy' try seeking advice from some more experienced drivers, I'm sure there must be one or two that would be willing to help you Wink.
'The Old Man' Grin

"OLD MAN"  When you say Experienced? do you mean a slow senior such as yourself? once again I am confused with your poor ENGLISH.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pass Tense
Novice

Senior Racer

Vancouver
Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 4:08pm

I had a seat back brace come through my seat
in a rear hit collision back in my karting days. I got lucky with only broken ribs. I came out of the seat as well cause no belts. If I was strapped in could've been much worse.  Sad
The strip across the back would help with that for sure.

1991 IP3 Civic #32

IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 4:03pm

Since Ryan has talked me out of replacing the current seat in my car (at least for now) with a new FIA seat I am going to remount the current seat a bit differently, but want to be sure it will still be acceptable next year. I also do not like the idea of putting something in the back of the seat that could potentially injure a driver, Keith's idea appeals to me.

Mike Kaerne had mentioned a couple of meetings ago about the rules stipulating more clearly how the seat brace be done, but I can't remember if the change was for this year or next. This is the current wording:
In cars where the seat is upright (most common in GT and IP/IT cars) the back of the seat shall be firmly attached to the main roll hoop, or its cross bracing, so as to provide aft and lateral support. Bulkheads, firewalls, rear decks, or similar structures of suitable strength may be used as a substitute for the main roll hoop or cross bracing to provide the required seat back support.

If there will be new wording, where would I find that?

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

n8
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 1:46pm

Wow.. thanks for bringing this to light. My car came with one.

I am getting a new drivers seat and tossing the back brace ASAP

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print