Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
looking for first car and advice (Read 11,288 times)
bimmerfest
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

looking for first car and advice
Feb 23rd, 2013 at 7:54pm

Looking for my first car pre prepped or car with major mechanical damage or needing tlc. Blown auto trans is a good candidate. I want something rwd preferably bmw. Been trying to find a e36. Second what class would you recommend to start gunning for going for? Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Re: looking for first car and advice
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 10:17am

Another great little car that is rear wheel drive is the Mazda Miata, If your handy you can put one together for under $10000 and there are a few for sale for under that if you look around.

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:40am

If you're stuck on a BMW, try to get a E36 325i or 325is and race it in IP2.  Talk to the Nixon Prosports guys, they've built one that's fast and could probably give you some very good advice.

Alternatively you could buy/build an E30 PRO3 car and compete in ICSCC events.  Hit up the guys on the ICSCC forum and they'll point you in the right direction.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:56pm

Buy a ready built car and save yourself a lot of money and grief. Wink
Spec Miata can be bought for less than $10,000.
You'll need deep pockets for a competitive Pro 3 BMW Shocked.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

ToddMorin
Spectator

Spec Miata

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 7:05pm

+1 Spec Miata.
Unless you're really interested in learning to prep a car yourself (like I did), buying a race ready car is significantly cheaper.

IP Logged

bimmerfest
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:11pm

i would love to race pro3 i already own a e30 as a DD love that car Grin but i would have to use R888 i can't get them rilly cheep like i can nitto nt01's

racing a miata i would do if i can move the steering column up i am 6"3' so i don't fit that well in that car

wear are the rules for this spec maita ? read skimmed the icscc 2013 rules and couldn't find anything

and has thar ever been any competitive 240's ever?

IP Logged

Doug F
Novice

West Kelowna, BC
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 11:28pm

Have you considered open wheel? Formula Vee and Formula Ford are inexpensive and a blast. You can easily get started for well under $10k.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.”
- Steve McQueen

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 7:09am

Doug is right, Formula Vee would be cheaper.

When you started asking about BMWs I assumed you had enough money that 15k for a PRO3 car wouldn't be enough for you to blink, but it sounds like your budget is pretty low.

How much do you have set aside for this, and what yearly budget can you afford?

Oh, and to answer your question about the 240, no, it would not be competitive.  Take a look through the tech forum, some guy asked a car classing question and in response I gave a list of cars that could be competitive.  If you don't see a car on that list, chances are it will not be competitive in the IP class, which sounds.like the only closed wheel class besides SM that you might have the budget for.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

ToddMorin
Spectator

Spec Miata

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 8:17pm

You can find the spec miata rules here: http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472

At 6'3" you may be a bit big for that car (I'm 6'1"). The steering column can move, but you can't cut the floor pan to lower the seat (I'm bolted directly to it).

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 10:16pm

Hey, you're a big guy...get a big car! Lots of cheap but fun/fast Camaros, Firebirds or even Rustangs out there!  Cool

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

bimmerfest
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 5:30pm

Thanks for the advice another thing i would like to how much do you budget for a season of racing exuding the cost of a car?

IP Logged

ToddMorin
Spectator

Spec Miata

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 2:08pm

Budgeting is something that car vary widely depending on the car you race, how far you want to travel, how often you race, and how often something goes wrong with the car. Autocross is a heck of a lot cheaper, as the safety requirements are minimal. I thought I wanted to start with that as it was a cheaper option, but after the race I did during driver training, wheel to wheel racing was the only thing for me!
I just finished my 1st season last fall (which was only half a season really). I spent about 20K for the car, required safety equipment/clothes, car safety modification, high performance tires and brake pads, driver training, racing fees, licensing fees, fuel (which is damn cheap for a Miata). My 2nd season will have a similar budget - pickup truck, enclosed trailer, suspension, race tires, race exhaust, fire system, and a bit left over in case something goes wrong Tongue.

IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 1:08pm

You can probably get into a Formula Vee for under $4,000 (Talk to Al Ores), if this is your first year racing all you want is a reliable car. Formula Vees can be kept on the track for very little money if you can do your own work, and there is lots of support at the track. You can almost guarantee you will have someone to race with. Because Vees are momentum cars (not much power so you need to take a line that keeps your speed up) you will gain more driving skills (fast cars can hide your lack of skill... until you run against a good driver with an equal car). Fuel is also cheep for a Vee. For a little more money you can rent a Vee from FART and arrive and drive (and I considered this for my daughter), however it can be more fun and less expensive to wrench on your own car.

Although I agree with Larry about Camaros and Mustangs, they are thirsty, and if you are running a race motor in one the gas is not cheep either (this is why I have someone else race my Historic former Trans Am / IMSA tube frame Camaro, I can’t afford the gas).

Hope to see you at the track

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 1:23pm

bimmerfest,

I forgot that the 1971 MG that is for sale is a screaming good deal, is well sorted and reliable (if you don't mind Vintage - a fun bunch of guys). I'm sure Al will give you lots of support (along with the other vintage guys) and it would be great to see this car stay in the area. The FV just listed today is a good car as well, worth paying for the extras.

Mike

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #14 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 4:15pm

Thanks for the +++s boys. Wink If you're (bimmerfest) near Delta this coming Sat. we will be at the shop. Give us a call and stop by for a viewing. 604.838.8264. We just happen to have a couple of Pro-3 cars, a few FF's, and a number of FV's. Try one on, bring your helmet. Big decision ($$) to make. Get lots of info and try on some different rides. You can rent O/W cars and C/W cars and decide from there. Oh ya....don't forget your sense of humour (humor) when you show up. Smiley
Bob

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print