Send Topic Print
Port Moody Hillclimb (Read 3,068 times)
racerabbit
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Port Moody Hillclimb
Mar 9th, 2013 at 12:17pm

what ever happend to the port moody hill climb?

why dont we have a local hill climb?

is there any interest?

IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Re: Port Moody Hillclimb
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 4:13pm

If you can find a venue, I'm sure a car club would organize one. I know that a couple of years ago a club (can't remember which one, but it would be in the minutes of one of the CACC General Meetings - amazing what you learn when you attend them) was trying to organize a local event.

That said, would you be willing to help organize an event? The lack of help organizing this type of event is another hurdle (that would include all the safety stuff that has to be set up before an event of this type, such as spectator fencing, tire walls etc.).

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 4:42pm

Ioco hillclimb?

IP Logged

racerabbit
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 9:53pm

yes

and yes

who would i get in touch with to ask some questions?

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:43am

The "Ioco" hillclimb, as it was known many years ago was run on the "front side" of the hill by the Royal City Sports Car club back in the mid '70's. Then, when BCMA got together they gradually took over the running of Ioco. It stopped running for a few years in the 90's and then made a brief comeback, using the back side of the hill. It has been quite a few years since it last ran. I believe the excuse is ownership and liability. The property belongs to an oil refining comany who don't want any chance of accident liability. Too bad, I've run both sides of the hill and it was fun to drive. Short, but fun.

Hillclimb's in B.C. come under the auspices of CACC Time Attack, previously know as Solosport. You should contact the new director of the Time Attack discipline to ask if anything can be done to resurrect this, or other hillclimbs. A few years ago the CACC Solosport director made an attempt to organize a hillclimb at Hemlock Mountain in the Fraser Valley. It failed, although there may still be some legs if someone wants to pick up the torch. Also, about 7 or 8 years ago there was an attempt to organize a hillclimb at Bamberton on Vancouver Island, which also failed.

So that leaves Knox Mtn., still the best hillclimb in Canada and still THE test of your skill to record a good time.

Good luck with your endeavour.

Lorne (Sign Guy) Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print