Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tradex Classic Car Show (Read 4,578 times)
Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Tradex Classic Car Show
Apr 21st, 2014 at 8:37am

The VRC & Meta both was well attended by VRC & META members. The display looked great which got the attention of the crowd.
There was sevral inquiries about how to  get involved in racing but the thing that keeps coming up is we didn't know that there was roadracing in B.C. after westwood closed.
What is more madning is the that 90% of the people that have been to Mission Raceway Park that go to the Drags or race Drags have no idea that there is a Road Coarse at Mission.

There needs to be a Billboard  at the gate entrance or up at the road of the park layout  showing what happens at mission.

IP Logged

Vintage Bluenoser
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Re: Tradex Classic Car Show
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 9:49am

I agree with Alan's comments.
We found that our in-car videos (mostly from Alan's FFord and Phil's TVR) on the large screen were very helpful in showing people where the road race track was. They would have an 'Aha moment' when they realized that our front straight was the drag strip shut down area.
And we pushed the Driver Training program as hard as we could. Hopefully, there will be a few more recruits show up.

IP Logged

spudrace
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 11:49am

Totally agree with Alan, I talk to lots of people who love road racing but had no clue there was a track in the lower mainland. As soon as you mention Mission everyone just thinks its a dragstrip.

IP Logged

Tedd
Spectator

GMP Racing (Genuinely
Modern Pleasures)

BC,  Canada
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 7:12am

I can't help thinking that these people aren't all that serious about road racing to begin with.  Is there anybody in North America who is truly a road racing fan that doesn't know it's typical to co-locate road courses with drag strips and ovals?  Wouldn't any fan who's serious enough to actually come out immediately wonder, upon hearing that there's a drag strip in Mission, "Hey, maybe they've co-located a road course there?"  It's not as though it's hard to find out, these days.

I think a more important question is:  Would these people still be going to the track even if Westwood were still in operation?  Mosport has been in continuous operation for fifty years, but hardly anybody goes to the club races anymore.  It's not hard to find people who say, "Remember when we used to do that?  It was fun."  But they still don't go back.  Perhaps if we figure out why that is we'll understand why these people don't google "Mission road course" and find out for themselves.

"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." --Aldous Huxley

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:24pm

Like the saying goes (Out of Sight out of Mind) so if you don't let them know whats available they will find something els to go to.

I don't think you are going to get them to folk to every regular club event but i do think if you at least have one or two special events a year they will come. Just look at the main vintage events they get alot of poeple that mark the calender every year to go to. You don't get that turn out at the regular vintage weekends only the main event but the key to that is you have to have something to offer the spectator thats bigger and better than regular race weekends

We do need a big billboard at the entrance to the park showing what happens at the park it doen't have to be a mistry to what goes on at Mission Drags, Motorcross, Roadrace Cars ,Formula Cars. Roadrace Motorcycles, Track Rentals.

I'm sure that if all the clubs that use the park got together they could afford to pay for a decent size Billboard to go up front. Wink

IP Logged

Tedd
Spectator

GMP Racing (Genuinely
Modern Pleasures)

BC,  Canada
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:00am

I completely agree, Alan. Promoting a few big events is a smart idea. Even in the "good old days," I'll bet the majority of people who went to club races only went to a handful of key events.

I simply don't buy the argument that there are potential spectators who don't know the track is there. Don't know there's a race on a given weekend? Definitely. Don't know the track is there at all? Only if they're not really potential spectators. They're not going to go to Mission for the day if they're not even motivated enough to google "Mission road course" or "road course in BC," each of which returns links to the sports car club and other related web sites.

"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." --Aldous Huxley

IP Logged

spudrace
Spectator

SCCBC Forum Member

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 1:08pm

Tedd
I met3 guys at the local pub last year who use to go to Westwood all the time.  They are big motorsport fans & had no clue that Mission had a road course.  They came out to at least 3 races that I know of & had a great time talking to everyone & watching the races.  They are coming back this year for sure.  A lot of people only know of Mission as a drag strip & have no clue there is auto road racing, motorcycle road racing or motocross.  I also had a lot of the sports reporters at the local papers say they also thought Mission only had drag racing.  There is no doubt that BC custom car club spends a lot more on advertising/radio & newspaper & promote it as ground pounding action.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print