Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driver Training w/o race cars (Read 4,796 times)
Tim Rosche
Pro Circuit

Home of Road Racing in B.C.
Driver Training w/o race cars
Mar 12th, 2015 at 7:17pm

I am curious how many students are currently signed up for the driver training coming up this month?
And has the banning of race cars had any affect on the number of participates? Has anyone tracked this or considered doing so?

At the last SCCBC club meeting I attended in Nov 2014, myself and a few others were opposed to this decision.

I know it has been discussed for a long time, but I think it is the wrong direction to go.

If our clubs constitution states

" 2. The objects of the Society are: to promote and encourage and support
motor sport within the Province of British Columbia. "

then why on earth would we do something like ban race cars from driver training?

I have seen many people, including myself, take driver training with a race car. Either rented it, or used their own. And then many people have gone on to race with SCCBC afterwards. Myself and many other only own a pickup truck and a racecar. Most wives ( husbands ), friends, etc are not to keen on allowing someone to use their car for such an activity as driver training.

Our sister clubs to the South, ICSCC, still allow them...

Cascade Sports Car Club - Driver Education
Friday, Mar 13 — Saturday, Mar 14, 2015
Portland Int'l Raceway, Portland, OR
Registration ends in 3 hours on March 12, 2015 11:59 PM PDT

Cascade Sports Car Club

Miller-Kersting Memorial Driver Training ~~~~~~~

School or High Performance Driving Event

@ Portland Int’l Raceway

Bring your street or race-prepared car to our ICSCC-approved driving event. It is fundamental for those interested in racing, yet also fun education for those who want to learn more about car control on the street or just practice their skills.

The ridge....

Requirements for Cars:

Sound Mechanical condition.
    Fluids filled - oil, water, transmission.
    Good belts, hoses and BRAKES.
    3/32" minimum tire tread depth or race tires in good condition.
    Clean, inside and out, including engine compartment.
    All loose items removed. Spare tire, jack, battery secured.
    Open top and convertible cars MUST have a properly installed roll bar as a minimum. The top of the main hoop must be at least 2" above the driver's helmet when in a normal seated position. Factory pop-up rolllover protection is NOT acceptable and there will be no exceptions.
    Glass headlights taped to prevent possible breakage.
    Two seats with working seat belts.

I also feel that several club members renting out cars in the past, are now losing out as are the potential rental clients and future racers that they would have attracted to our club.

The explanation for doing this was pretty week in my opinion. Difficulty in getting in and out of the cars?

Hopefully this decision does not cost the club too much money, but I guess we may never know how to measure the loss of future racers.

This should be reviewed after 2015.

Am I getting under your skin yet? Good. Then my plan is working

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Re: Driver Training w/o race cars
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 7:25pm

I Will gladly answer this . We the teachers of the class find it somewhat of a challenge to communicate in the majority of the RACECARS  that would show up. Its much better to teach in a car that is not a rattle bucket.  I am not opposed to some of the IP racecars as they tend to be a bit more calm , but I guess the RDC had to draw the line somewhere and it was easier to just say NONE.
And from my memory, more racecars break down than street cars.  Except Keith's, cause he always has ductape and zipties Grin

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 7:58am

And wire, don't forget the wire Wink
I argued against this stupid rule for years (and won). We have always been able to decide which cars are useable for training and which aren't. Once again apparently we have become incapable of making reasonable decisions or just too lazy!
We have sadly become the Sedan Club of BC!
Interesting to note that since I took the roll cage OUT of my CRX 'race car' it can still be used Roll Eyes!

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

ip2gsr
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 11:44am

Well I am sure my response is going to cause a 5 min lecture from Keith the next time I see him and maybe another 500 words on the forum but what the heck here goes nothing…..

I am with Doodson on this issue.  I have taught lots of students in both race cars and street cars.  If given the choice, I would always pick a street car because they typically offer easy ingress/egress, lower ambient noise, and more importantly safer passenger seating.  At the same time it is possible to get across the idea of car control and racing line. 

There are clearly some racecars that are more suited to the task of driver training.  I strongly believe that at driver training we are teaching racing and race craft and the racecar is part of that.  The addition of a chatterbox or intercom and good passenger seat and seat belt go a long way to making the task easier.  Under the right conditions, I have no problem instructing in a racecar. 

It’s a judgment call…  I would say no racecars unless pre-approved by the instructor that is going to be riding in it.   

I am not trying to exclude anyone just ensuring that the weekend is as productive as it can be without fighting the car. 

Dave

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 12:17pm

I've been watching Driver Training longer than most of you have been alive and I would say I agree with Dave. That'll probably get me in trouble as well, but so what. I took Driver Training in about 1968 at Westwood in my street Volvo and loved it. I didn't have to spend a lot of time massaging the race car and alI still think that stuff. Unfortuantely, since I don't have good depth perception, I couldn't advance beyond that. But,

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 11:45am

Dave I think you should think of a career in politics!
You start your post agreeing with Dood and finish basically agreeing with me (pre approved race cars are OK). Such fence sitting is an art that should not be wasted  Wink.

Novice training in Ontario when I started was a lot less complicated.
An 'X' was stuck on the back of your car and you went racing Cheesy!!!

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 1:01pm

Keith Robinson wrote on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 11:45am:
Novice training in Ontario when I started was a lot less complicated.
An 'X' was stuck on the back of your car and you went racing Cheesy!!!

But look how that turned out  Grin

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 10:05am

That's pretty funny Dood!
Your new girlfriend has even improved your wit Smiley.

1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print