Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
US/Canada Border question (Read 5,350 times)
ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
US/Canada Border question
Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:02am

I haven't taken the racecar across the border for a couple of years.  Can someone who does it all the time let me know if there has been any extra 'heat' going either way lately?  Best crossing for doing so?

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

AllanJ
Ex Member

Re: US/Canada Border question
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:16pm

I went down in early June with my car on a trailer.  No problems with the border guys.  They just wanted to make sure I had the ownership papers for the truck, trailer and car and each time I go down there they ask me if I'm competing for prize money (I'm not).  Not sure what the deal is if you win cash at some races.

Biggest problem I had at Peace Arch going down to the US is all the barricades to stop people from running through the border.  I had to very slowly drive my rig around concrete pillars to get through.  I'm heading down to Pacific Raceways for two days tomorrow so I'm wondering what navigating fun I'll have then.  Shocked

Coming back I got several questions about getting work done on my car, did I buy any parts, tires, etc.  Usual gig.  No big deal. 

If you bring spares, keep your receipts with your spare parts.  One day you'll get searched and it's best if you have the proof right there of your prior ownership.

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:36pm

Hmmm... I have a 24' enclosed trailer and that slalom course is something I've never encountered yet.  It will be tough to list and show papers for all the bits and pieces in there too!  Thanks!

reentry.racer  
IP Logged

AllanJ
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 2:37pm

Most of the barricades are those giant orange ones (plastic maybe?) and I suppose they could move those for larger rigs like yours.  I only have an 18' open trailer but my truck is fairly long.  Since I'm a newbie at towing (only a few thousand km), I'm sure I can create some amusement for onlookers.   Grin

Because of dorks like the guy who ran the border into WA state the other week I expect the slalom course of barricades to stay for good. 

I'll let you know what it's currently like when I get back in a few days.

IP Logged

Posy
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 5:13pm

Do Aldergrove as they have motorhomes and trailers thru the truck gate and it is an easy run. Only problem it is only open 8-midnight.  I have a 43 foot MH and towed the car down to seattle on July 1 with no problem. Had to backup the MH thru the twisty gates so now I do aldergrove to avoid them.  Hwy down to I5 is mostly 4 lane now.

Perry

IP Logged

Posy
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 5:16pm

almost forgot. Don't stop half way thru the sensor gate. they want you to drive thru it in one motion without stopping.  I didn't and they gave me a friendy hard time about it as it buggers up the sensor.

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 7:06pm

This is all good to know, that's for sure!  Thanks to you both!

reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:50am

I use either the Truck Crossing off 176th or Aldergrove when I drive my car or Van down. No problem. The Peace Arch crossing with the barriers is difficult, even with a car.

IP Logged

AllanJ
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:20pm

Just got back from my Pacific Raceways trip.

My wife recently used the truck crossing and once again, the barriers changed configuration.  Now they really suck for towing a trailer through.

I went Peace Arch Monday morning based on that info.

Border lady was great (at Nexus).  Asked me where I was going and what kind of car I was towing.  On my way.

Fairly easy to get through now with current barrier config if you avoid the regular booth on the far left.  That one looks bad for trailers.  Middle booths look fine.  Nexus forces you to swing far left and then right.  I went slow to not embarrass myself.  Smiley

Coming back was fine (Peace Arch).  Border lady (regular lane) asked typical questions including some that included her fishing for info about work/car ownership, etc.  I had a copy of my track car's insurance papers and gave those to her along with my truck and trailer insurance.  On my way.

I'm heading to ORP in August and probably twice more in Sept.  If I run into anything really nasty then I'll report back here.

IP Logged

AllanJ
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:04am

Just got back from 3 days at ORP.  Heading south, the Peace Arch border is now sending all traffic to the left side of the building, not the right due to construction.

No more barricades!!!!  Only one narrow slight turn (Nexus lane) to get through.  I found it easy with my 18' open trailer.

Cheers,
Allan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print