Send Topic Print
live timing question (Read 8,917 times)
jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

live timing question
Sep 12th, 2010 at 4:06am

Just wondering if there is any way to get timing data live while in the pits, etc?
Im thinking along the lines of a wireless connection/laptop.

Also, having just spent some time at Atlantic Motorsports Park, I noticed they use a FM broadcast system for race announcing and it worked great for spectators/racer's in the pit, or I guess even in your race car, lol.
I always had trouble hearing commentary when I was spectating at Mission, so I wonder if this might be another way to help improve the viewing experience.

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Re: live timing question
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 7:57am

Didn't we try the FM broadcast route at one time? It could work if it was available to all.

As for the wireless internet option, another good idea, but we'd have to make it "pay as you go" to make it work properly.

Why? Because there's no such thing as a free ride!!

Mike

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:57am

http://www.selinsgrovespeedway.com/images/How_To_use_RMonitor_to_view_live_timin...

They seem to have a program available for this called "R Monitor".
Im sorta in agreement for the "charging" for the service, but I guess I wonder how much would be needed when most every hotel provides free access via password. I guess a small increase in entrance fees, and the password provided to all entrants might work.
When I went to a couple of F1 races in Europe a few years ago, I saw many renting large gameboy looking handhelds to get live timing, commentary, or both depending on what package they purchased.

Im thinking an easier thing for Mission, perhaps for both parties,  might be to have live timing(maybe even streaming the live commentary) being posted on a website(this one?) and people log in (purchase password?) with their smartphones. Everybody seems to have one these days. That would save having to setup/expand a wireless network or FM freq for the paddock.

Some ideas, anyway.

Cheesy

1984 #777 Scirocco IP2(LOL) &&1985 M52 BMW 3 series&&1973 Super Beetle auto-x&&2005 Ford Powerstroke&&
IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:58am

You can pick up live timing and scoring, I don't know how far down the pit lane it will reach, Marc Ramsay will have a better answer, Also the commentary is on a fm broadcast. The PA personal just need to remember to put the antenna out and broadcast the correct frequency which they usually do.

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 12:03pm

I actually wondered if it already existed, because it's hardly groundbreaking tech, but I've never seen a sign, heard it mentioned,printed in the program, etc.

Atlantic Motorsports park has a sign right after the entrance.

Any idea what the frequency is?

IP Logged

Pigpen
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 2:07pm

The WiFi only works on the front two rows and about halfway down the pits from the start/finish line. Marc Ramsay needs to set-up the software on your laptop though.

WWW olddatsunracer pigpen510  
IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 5:29pm

96.7FM; we did put up a sign at the Westwood 50 when we were using the 'East Paddock'. I'll see if I can find the sign, then we need to remind the announcer to put up the antenna Wink.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 3:53am

I suppose I'm thinking only from my standpoint. It might be beneficial for the tech guys to have timing and scoring in case of an impound situation. I'd also like to be able to access the internet on-site in the hours BEFORE and AFTER racing hours (ergo the charge and password thought).

I'm not certain how difficult it would be to set this up. Our computer geeks can probably give us a pretty good idea.

Mike

IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 6:40am

If we want to maximize what is already there, there are several ways to improve wifi signal reception for laptops.

Google "wifi antenna amplifier" etc, for all kinds of low buck solutions. I saw on utilizing old satellite min dishes. It more than doubled the reception capability.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:14am

New wi-fi equipment has been purchased by the club to extend coverage across the whole paddock. We just haven't had the time to get it all set up.

Once it is up and running I'll have a posting in the forum and a section on the website with a download and instructions on how to set up and use it.

I'll try and remember to put out the antenna for the FM broadcast when I set up the monitor for PA, and we'll post the frequency at Driver Services.

If Tech would like a PC to monitor the results then they just need to make the request.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

jrez
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 12:37pm

Thanks!

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 12:42pm

Hey.....Can we get HBO on that thing? Grin

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 12:43pm

When the new tech building is in place, it would be nice to have a timing & scoring drop. But, since we've only got one race left this summer (fall?), it might be a bit of a stretch.

Mike

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:59am

I'll have something for tech in their new tech shack for next year...

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print