Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
We're looking for a "few good men" (Read 13,130 times)
Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

We're looking for a "few good men"
Oct 2nd, 2010 at 12:54pm

We're looking for a few good men or women to conduct a small experiment. We would like to see how long it take to exit a race car. For this we would like to have some volunteers. and, ideally, we should have a mix of open and closed wheeled cars. And a mix of people who use HANS devices and those who do not.

There's no prizes for this and the intent is NOT (repeat NOT) to embarras anyone. We are only interested in how long it takes to exit the cars and that is all.

We would conduct this experiment at lunch time during the driver's meeting.

If you are interested in participating, please e-mail me at my address:
michael_currie@telus.net 

Hopefully this will be informative and interesting to all.

Thanks

Mike Currie

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Re: We're looking for a "few good men"
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 5:14pm

Anything to do with that article about the guy whose car caught fire and he had previously practiced his exits and it probably saved his life?

I've been contemplating doing the same.

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 7:22pm

I have done this myself.  Given my age and obvious bulk, I didn't want to roast in there if things went badly.  I actually did exit the car due to a small engine fire, back in 2007 I believe, (in Pre-Grid).  Every situation /car/driver combination might be different, but my exit strategy has always been based on head first (yes, helmet will hit the ground) and roll away. After a few other attempts in more dignified ways it was the only one that worked quickly enough for me.  6 seconds was my best time.  I used a camping mattress to make my test landings softer. I'd enjoy watching others try this!

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 10:54pm

Given the complexity of the various attachments sometimes used in modern racing cars (HANS, radio, cool suit, etc. every driver should have a clear exit strategy.

My idea is to show us all some of the pitfalls and problems of exiting a racing car as quickly as possible.

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 7:34am

Many of the tests being done by some of the other safety organizations are actually two tests. One is the exit test suggested here. The other, probably more important one is the same test, blind folded. This is to mimic a fire/smoke situation. Two of the fatalities in the last couple years were attributed to the victim's inability to see what they were doing. Complicating the problem was that the corner workers could not see and find the fire button due to the dense smoke.

In one of the two tragedies, the car still had the safety pin in the button for the fire system. The corner worker managed to find the button despite the fire and smoke but was unable to activate the system. He had suffered severe burns as he continued to pull not understanding why it wasn't activating. Meanwhile the driver was engulfed in flames. Subsequent to this event a survey was done in Florida where the event took place. It was to find out how many drivers left the grid with the safety pin still in button. 70% had the pin in. The reason? They didn't want the system to accidentally discharge. Makes you think.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 7:40am

For starters, we'll confine ourselves to the initial test without a blindfold. If we get positive results, we might just go to the blindfold test.

Currently we have one volunteer (James Dallimore) in a Vee. It would be nice to have a mix of drivers, especially those with the complicated setups.

Don't be chicken. We're not trying to embarrass anyone.

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 9:06am

Hi Mike,  I will participate.

Roland .

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:17am

Thank you James and Roland.

Now all we need is a couple of sedans.

IP Logged

mike97
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

vancouver
Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:54pm

my cars are nascar/cascar chassis and all though all my racing has been on ovals, I have allways worn a Hans device and every time i am in the car at the track I practice getting out in a hurry just in case (you never no) and would encurage everybody to do the same! 
and if i can help i will , as we hope to have one of the cars ready for spring

mike cashen     Mech01@telus.net

IP Logged

wreckerbob
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 6:36am

Maybe Ecrew would like to be involved to see how we can make our jobs easier in that situation we don't like to talk about , but should . we try to get around the paddock to assess each car to get an idea whats is involved, but it gets complecated with multiple class cars at the same meeting and even the same race, maybe we should be allowed to get a driver out to simulate a worst case ,  sorry just thinking out loud

Bob [safety 1]

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:19am

The initial intent of this is to convince the drivers to have an exit plan. Thus I'd like to keep this simply a driver oriented thing for the moment. I'm sure the e-crew would be welcome to observe and learn like the rest of us.

I believe Bob is correct and we should practice extractions so that e-crew are familiar with the cars and the issues. We'll have to work on that one for early next season.

Still looking for a couple more "volunteers" expecially in  sedans with lots of paraphenalia.

IP Logged

Mike_Kaerne
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 12:14pm

I will bring a stunt mat for those tests, great to see such great dialogue and participation!

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 3:07pm

My car will be there and i would be happy to climb in and out of it with my suit and helmet on , however i do not have a hans device.

Chris Doodson

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 12:22am

Thank you, Chris. That's three. HANS device not absolutely necessary. We have to start somewhere.

IP Logged

Forum Admin
SCCBC Administrator

BC,  Canada
Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 6:36am

This is a good time for all of our 'volunteers' to have a close look at their cars and make sure there are no sharp objects or anything else that may catch on their driving suit during a rushed exit that may tear or otherwise damage their driving suit.

It would be a shame to miss a race weekend because you damaged your suit during the demo.

Cheers,

Marc

Take it to the track.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print