Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inaugural Western Canadian Road Race GP Oct 16th (Read 5,782 times)
Stan_Crocker
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Inaugural Western Canadian Road Race GP Oct 16th
Oct 9th, 2010 at 3:05pm

Westwood Karting Association is pleased to host its first karting road race since the close of Westwood Circuit in 1990.  Karters from all over the north west are expected, eager to try out Mission Raceway Park new on the North West Karting Gold Cup schedule this year.  Some notables we are expecting to join us include Rolex Sports Car driver Michael Valiante, SCCA GTL and GT3 driver Jim Hargrove and shifter driver Don McGregor (with crew chief dad and SCCBC Life Member Bob McGregor). During testing this spring, Don McGregor turned a fast time of 1:10.1, so you will see some pretty quick times during the event.  We are expecting folks to arrive Friday PM with practice Sat AM and racing  beginning at 11:30 through until 5PM.

Many thanks to META for their support in helping us with workers for turn stations and other positions to help make this event a success.

We want to extend an invitation to all SCCBC members to come out and have a look at modern day karting, see the next generation of racers get their start and we think you will be impressed by the competition and sportsmanship everyone dispalys.  See you on the 16th.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2010 at 3:38pm by Stan_Crocker »  

Road Race karter - 2000 and 1989 Emmick/Yamaha 100CC Laydowns  1:23 PIR; 1:46 SIR; 1:23 MRP

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Re: Inaugural Western Canadian Road Race GP Oct 16
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 6:43am

Looking forward to it Stan; great to hear you have META heping out, let me know if SCCBC can be of any further assistance.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

Tim Rosche
Pro Circuit

Home of Road Racing in B.C.
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 2:55pm

Your post does not say where this track is. Where is it?

Am I getting under your skin yet? Good. Then my plan is working

IP Logged

db
Senior Racer

What would Johnny Canuck
do?

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 6:52pm

Quote:
Your post does not say where this track is. Where is it?

They're racing on the River's Edge Road Course

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 8:14am

Tim; Stan does say it's the first road race since Westwood and that it is at Mission Raceway. It's only about 7 minutes from your house Wink!
This race has been spoken about many times at SCCBC meetings and in the Pit Pass, another good reason to come to a meeting now and then Wink.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

oldsport
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 4:40pm

kart race went off well, small entry, and now we have a new track record.  Don McGregor, 125cc shifter kart at 1.09:135. Shocked

IP Logged

Stan_Crocker
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:04pm

Westwood Karting Assn gives a hearty thanks to all the SCCBC folks who helped us with this first karting road race in Vancouver since the close of Westwood 20 years ago. META was out in full force providing much needed support at each of the turnstations - special thanks to them.  

While the entries were light, we believe that we took in enough to pay all the bills. The track turned out to be pretty technical, weather cooperated, no red flags, competition including juniors was good and the post-race BBQ was fun.  It was great to see a bunch of the old-time Westwood road racers again Frank Musil, Helmut Musil, Lucky Kousmanen and Ed Leach. We have a new lap record posted now, 1:09.135 by local shifter driver Don McGregor, followed by Bill Gulick from Portland at 1:11.241 and local favourite Michael Valliante at 1:11.590 - good show guys.  My best time was a 1:22.817 - I figure not bad for the old style 100CC aircooled laydown karts.  More details on lap times and race results can be found on MyLaps at http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=609227

WKA is very interested in suggestions to make this race more appealing and accessible to competitors and spectators as we try to build for the future. Please let our executive know your ideas either here or at exec@westwoodkarting.org.  We look forward to working together on future events.

Stan Crocker, VP Road Race WKA
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:43pm by Stan_Crocker »  

Road Race karter - 2000 and 1989 Emmick/Yamaha 100CC Laydowns  1:23 PIR; 1:46 SIR; 1:23 MRP

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print