Send Topic Print
IP brakes (Read 6,597 times)
RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

IP brakes
Oct 16th, 2010 at 10:41am

hello All,  A question from a newbie who is planning to take the spring DT and  then get into racing, He has a early 90s mustang he is all hyped up on modifying, I advised him to do nothing without consulting the rule books first. I am hoping that he limits his car to IP specs to start.
  The car has the useless disc drum set up . Is it legal to install the 4 wheel disc set up from a 93 mustang cobra?
The front disc and caliper are most likely a bolt on not sure about the rear.

Thanks Roland

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Re: IP brakes
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 10:46am

My CACC book says that brakes are not restricted as long as they are attached at the original mounting points. The rest of the prep is as per the SCCA IT rules.

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 12:15pm

I Guess the real question is can this car be updated to 4 wheel disc brakes and be legal?

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 1:42pm

I see it as long as no new holes are drilled, parts welded on or axle/spindle assemblies changed you can use anything you want. A Mustang with front drums? I thought those were gone by 1980 or so.

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 5:51pm

Simple answer is yes, as long as they bolt to original mounting points.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

racestec
Pro Circuit

winning isn't everything
but losing sucks

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 5:57pm

Does the mustang rear axle with drum brakes have the mount points for discs?

Ray Stec

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 6:36pm

Iam guessing there is no mounting points for a caliper ..havnt checked the update backdate rules

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:51am

The Car in question is I believe a plain jane 89 or 90 mustang.  A rear disc set up would most likely involve a rear axle change.  Can you do this to the car if it was an option or standard equipment on a better version of the same year of car  ie the  GT mustang or Cobra ?

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 1:15pm

CACC rules say that brakes are free. As long as no new holes are drilled, material removed or added then anything goes. The rest of the car must be prepared to the current (2011) SCCA GCR. If it allows axle swaps etc then all is good. I understand that CACC is in the process of cleaning up the wording of the rules.

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 4:30pm

RSRacer wrote on Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:51am:
 The Car in question is I believe a plain jane 89 or 90 mustang.  A rear disc set up would most likely involve a rear axle change.  Can you do this to the car if it was an option or standard equipment on a better version of the same year of car  ie the  GT mustang or Cobra ?

No, unless the car was a GT or Cobra it cannot have those axles. However, if you could figure a way to bolt adapters to the existing axle to facilitate the installation of disc brakes then go for it. Unless of course the rules change as Jim is suggesting.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

SSGTi
Novice

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:30am

LoCo wrote on Oct 17th, 2010 at 4:30pm:
No, unless the car was a GT or Cobra it cannot have those axles. However, if you could figure a way to bolt adapters to the existing axle to facilitate the installation of disc brakes then go for it. Unless of course the rules change as Jim is suggesting.

FWIW, there's a conversion kit for the o.e  drum brake axle for Fox bodied Mustangs from http://northracecars.com that keeps the drum rear end and bolts up without modification. It uses turbo T-bird calipers. It looks to me to be perfectly legal for IP. There is a post on stangnet.com from a guy selling a NIB set without ebrake cables or fluid lines for US$425 shipped to the lower 48.

I have no experience with this, or any affiliation to the products mentioned, I Googled a solution and this is what popped up. I have heard that braided lines are a MUST on these cars.
YMMV...
Martin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print