Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'92 GS-R Dyno Charts (Read 18,423 times)
Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

'92 GS-R Dyno Charts
Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:50am

Thought some people here might be interested, so here are some dyno charts from my IP3 Integra from a tuning session this summer.

Green line is stock ECU, red line is the Hondata S300 base tune with VTEC engagement set to 5000 rpm, blue line is the final tune we got before the clutch exploded.  We got the best power by pulling about 4-6 degrees of ignition timing from stock while on the VTEC cam.  Fuel was leaned out a bit since the stock and S300 baseline were at about 12:1 AFR.  VTEC engagment is at 5700 rpm stock, which is about 500 rpm higher than it should be for best mid-range performance.  Raising the rev limit from 8100 to 8400 rpm helped to keep the car from falling off of the high cam during 2-3 upshifts.

Power related mods: DC sports 4-2-1 header, ractive filter-on-a-stick intake, Hondata phenolic intake gasket, crank scraper, head milled to get 10:1 compression.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Re: '92 GS-R Dyno Charts
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 2:27pm

According to this chart , there is really no piont in taking this engine above 7500 rpm as both the HP and the torque (which is more important) drops off.

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 6:57am

Try looking at what the HP and torque are at the RPM you end up at if you shift at 7500.  Remember as well that gearing multiplies torque.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 9:04pm

Havnt noticed this post before ,,,B17- CHP 160Hp ,,,  The trick is to get that HP at the wheels..  6hp gained from bolt on parts . proof there not what there advertised to be ; Not slagging your engine. just an obeservation.

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 4:59am

Personally I think it's proof that I'm not very good at building race engines Smiley.  I've talked with people who actually know what they're doing, and they claim to be at 165ish whp on an IT build.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 9:54am

Ive heard the same claims,,,,   8)  Its not always about how much more hp you will gain with your built ,, What about how much you loose through your drive train ,,,

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 11:21am

every dyno reads different and most runs are done with different variables.

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 12:43pm

Well at least we know that the drive train loss through a FWD Honda/Acura product is going to be as minimal as you are going to find in a race car

IP Logged

Tim Rosche
Pro Circuit

Home of Road Racing in B.C.
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:20pm

Which Dyno was this done at?

Am I getting under your skin yet? Good. Then my plan is working

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:47pm

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 5:24am

I went back to the dyno in February to test a couple different things on my car.  I wanted to see if running open header would gain me any power (it didn't gain me anything), and I wanted to try some different intake lengths to see if I could shift around my torque curve at all. 

I built an intake for testing different lengths out of ABS plumbing pipe.  I cut myself 1", 2", 4", 8", 16" and 32" sections of pipe, which I could then combine to get any intake length from 1" to 63" in 1" increments, plus the length of the elbow pipe I had to use to get it to fit, which was 3".  The actual lengths I tested were 21" to 35" in 2" increments.

Here's what happened:

So, what I learned is that *if* I could fit an intake that long inside the engine compartment, I would probably get better pull off of corner 3, but it wouldn't affect much else.  Just a FYI for the other guys who will be racing GS-Rs this year.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 1:43pm

When you say intake length? are you refering to the air intake before the throttle body?

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 2:38pm

Very strange torque curves as you increased your intake lengths. What diam was the pipe?

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 4:30pm

Jordy; Your integra, you have 2 choices to draw air from , Engine compartment or the OEM in fender placement, my opinion the in fender long intake is the best. Just not in the rain. there is a water trap avaliable for the Integras. the Civics dont have the fender option only can draw air from engine compartment.
Looks like to be an interesting year.Both Cindy and Myself are running IP3

Dual Chamber Air Intake, Check it Out

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:04pm

I would not have thought that it would have made that much of a difference in altering the intake before the throttle body .
In terms of Intake manifold runner length, a longer narrow intake runner produces better torque at low RPM, while a shorter wider intake runner produces better power at high PRM.  note that the intake port on the cylinder head forms part of the intake runner. Thus the intake runner length is measured from the intake valve seat to the intake runner bell mouth, and not from the end of the intake manifold.
I see you got the same type of result in altering the air intake as you would on altering the runner lengths and would bet a thinner long tube would show even less of a torque drop when shifting.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print