Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'92 GS-R Dyno Charts (Read 18,425 times)
Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Re: '92 GS-R Dyno Charts
Reply #15 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 5:21am

Kurt, I wish I could do cold air intake from the fender, but on my GS-R there wasn't an intake in the fender well, just a sealed resonator.  I think it was only the Type-R that had the in-fender intake from the factory.  If I thought I do a cold air intake, I'd be all over it Smiley.

Some more notes on the test.  The "baseline" intake was the one I currently have in the car.  It's approximately 26" long and 2 5/8" inside diameter.

The plumbing pipe was 3" inside diameter.  I used a 15 degree elbow directly off of the throttle body so that the pipe would clear the fender, then straight pipe for the rest.  With each length I did several pulls until the torque numbers agreed with each other.  I then took the two curves that most closely agreed with each other and averaged them out to get the final curves in that graph.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 5:59am

Jordy, when you remove your stock engine compartment air box there is not a hole in the metal work that leads down to another part of the intake system below that metal work ?
If I remember correctly there was on our 92 GSR and that is where you can duct your intake air from. The only problem is as Curt stated it is rather exposed to the elements down there and wouldn't be a great location in a rain race.

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 6:04am

There's a hole, Paul, but it isn't legal for IT/IP.  Intake location needs to be stock or inside the engine bay.  Inside the fender is neither stock, nor inside the engine bay.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 12:14pm

My "stock" air intake system goes through that hole so why wouldn't it be legal. Are you saying that despite the fact that it is stock it doesn't matter because it is outside the engine compartment ???

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:41pm

From the IT rules, D.1.c - "Air intake source shall be
within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location."

Is air drawn in from the fender well with the stock intake on a GS-R?  No.

Where is the air drawn in from with the stock intake on a GS-R?  The engine compartment.

Seems pretty clear to me.  Just because the piping happens to pass through the fender well doesn't mean that's where the air is coming from.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:16am

Then what is that part of the intake system doing down there in the fender well ?

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #21 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:20am

Maybe it fell??

IP Logged

Jordy Isaak
Pro Circuit

Really, how hard can it
be?

Reply #22 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 7:29am

It's a resonator.  While it's part of the intake system, it is not an "air intake source".

Look at this parts diagram of the stock intake on a '92-'93 GS-R:

Air is taken in at part 25, goes through part 15 into assembly 41, then through part 12 into the throttle body.

The stuff in your fender is assembly 17.  No air is taken in from the fender.

If you run an aftermarket intake, the air intake source needs to be where part 25 is located on the stock intake (under the hood just in front of the radiator), or within the confines of the engine bay.

Generations Racing

IP Logged

Fastist12
Senior Racer

Passinu

Reply #23 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 10:10am

Picture tells the story..  Looks like the 92 GS-R Takes its air from the engine Compartment..I was wrong about the fender intake . I always understood the 91-93 non Vtech B18s to get there air from the fender. SCCA is looking to clarifie the rule, to engine compartment only for everyone.  Over the years i have done extensive testing on air intakes and flow and air temp,An engine is a gas powered vacuum cleaner drawing air through a pipe, The less strain you put on the engines ability to draw air the better, Atomizing the air is critical, and drawing fom a Low preasure cool source ,My testing has revealed that this can be created bye a 3in pipe , covered bye a 4in pipe . to a 4in K&N . My proto type intake has proved this in vacuum testing . Havnt had time to finish the build....  Now there is the same intakes on the market. Dual Chamber Air Intakes .all this stuff only works if you can get the Exaust out with its least resistance[Low Preasure scavange]. Point being that all these things have to be addressed or its a mood point..... This is my 2 Cents....

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 11:25am

I too am satisfied with this explanation, I just didn't remember that the air box below the air box with filter was only an air box and didn't draw any outside air to it. Picture says it all. Now what is this mood point that Curt is talking about ? Is he in a good mood or not now that we have clarified this issue ? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 4:38am

you're such a dik Grin

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #26 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 11:15am

Is that a moot point or just a personal opinion?
I loved the whole thread myself especially the bit where Jordy took 'big bucks' to school Grin.
Looking good for a competitive season; well done Jordy in preparing a legal/stock car. I don't think many of us are that careful  Wink.

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 1:08pm

As opposed to yourself, Mr. Ex-Prez, I have never professed to be an expert in anything related to cars or racing and was only asking Jordy who obviously has a wealth of knowledge on this particular subject to explain what I obviously did not understand. The question now is, is there some advantage to the large air resonator that Honda/Acura has designed into that system which as Jordy states does not draw air into the system but must have some useful purpose ? Maybe by the time we have invested in a cold air type intake system the resonator serves no useful nor performance enhancing advantage ?

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #28 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 1:17pm

The resonator is to quiet the screaming of the hamsters Grin

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 1:41pm

If that is the case, maybe it's all the more important to keep it as we are trying to stay under the sound limit and the wail of those hamsters is deafening.  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print