Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you remove decal glue (Read 6,060 times)
Michael Lensen
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

How do you remove decal glue
Apr 8th, 2011 at 4:15am

What is the best way to remove the glue that stays behind after you remove decals from a trailer.

I have tried thinner but that just smears the glue around, I have tried hot water and soap, it works, but takes forever.

Your help is appreciated.

IP Logged

bunracer
Pro Circuit

Ice is nice to race on
too!

Re: How do you remove decal glue
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 4:49am

I've had success with brake clean. It takes a bit to break the glue down and does kind of smear it around too but eventually leaves the surface and adheres itself to the rag you're rubbing it off with.

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 5:09am

Michael: wd 40 works well, brake clean as Paul mentioned, and good old gasoline ( pretty expensive though) soft cloth, dab it on the left over glue, give it a wipe. works well on the duct tape adhesive also. Have fun with that eh? bob

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

TECHMAN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 5:25am

I have used a product call "GOOF OFF" to remove decals and such from painted surfaces. I bought some a few years ago at Canadian Tire.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 7:35am

Go for the "GOOF OFF" I've used it on decals on glass and it works fine.

IP Logged

purple_tortoise
Senior Racer

I'd give my right arm
to be ambidextrous

BC
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 2:35pm

working on you own car Michael!!!  you should get one of your lovely pit crew to do it whilst you supervise......

If Dee-Anne is helping be aware that brake clean will destroy acrylic nails - they go black.  Ask Bobbie..

It's not whether you win or lose ......... it's whether I win.

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 4:49pm

Either Kerosene or a product called Tumbler work well. Some of these and other products like Brake Kleen have chemicals that can damage the paint finish. I always have dish soap and water handy to rinse off as soon as you're done.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 3:37am

I use a locally available commercial sign product called:
"Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover"
www.rapidtac.com

It softens old glue in about 30 seconds and you have work in stages. Use a plastic sign squeegee or ice scraper and lots of paper towels. Finish up with a warm, soapy water rinse & you're good to go.

It's water based & does not contain silicone, made in the U.S.A. and available from ND Graphic supplies on Annacis Island. Call them at 604-525-7940 Mon-Fri 8:30 - 5. Also available from Taca or any other local sign supplier.

Personally I would NOT use Goof Off, it's straight Xylene which is hazardous and will damage paint finishes. WD40 or other spray lubes may work depending on how old your decals are, they just take longer.

ALWAYS test an area away from the main part you ar stripping.

One big tip - try to peel off the decal rather than scraping them. Get as much decal adhesive off as you can before and you'll have a lot less to mess with.

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 3:44am

Forgot about the comments on brake clean - NO, NO, NO! Do NOT use it to clean off decals. Yikes!

You can also use a heat gun to WARM the stuff up before you peel it, but use it carefully. Try parking the surface facing the sun on a warm day, it will peel off easier.

IP Logged

Michael Lensen
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 6:29am

I appreciate all the good advice guys.

Thank you,
Michael

IP Logged

LoCo
International License

Don't let this Daigo by!

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 6:43am

Actually there's one more tip that's always good for many uses. When removing anything with adhesive or undercoating with heat, heat the backside of the panel underneath the area to be removed. This heats the the adhesive rather than the decal, so the chances are better that the glue stays fixed to the decal rather than the panel. It really works.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." &&Mark Twain

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 8:09am

Ambient heat is the issue, that's why parking the car or trailer facing the sun and letting it warm the entire surface is best.

Sometimes it may be difficult to heat the backside of a fender or trailer panel door, sometimes not.

Lots of answers and ways to do things. None are wrong but experience at the job usually shows the easiest way.

FWIW, have fun. 8)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print