Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying a purpose built race car from the States (Read 10,834 times)
Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Buying a purpose built race car from the States
Apr 8th, 2011 at 1:21pm

So how do you deal with customs when there is no VIN or registration etc?

If I bought something south of the border, how do you get it across?

I've purchased cars down there, but there's the 3-day vin search etc etc.

People must do this all the time?

IP Logged

bunracer
Pro Circuit

Ice is nice to race on
too!

Re: Buying a purpose built race car from the State
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 2:16pm

The operative issue that Canada Customs was worried about when I brought my tube frame car back from the states was the fact that this was not a car that was ever going to be driven on a public road and after they finally figured that out (they only had to look out the window but even after three hours they hadn't bothered to look) it was good to go. I did have a broker deal with the paper work before hand just to ensure all the paper work was in order (the best $150 I spent on the project) and I did have US Customs inspect the car by checking the SCCA number stamped on the frame was the same as in the log book, had them sign the log book authorizing the export and then moved on to Canada Customs to wade through their bureaucracy

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 4:42am

We have brought a few FV's in the last couple of years into Can. from the U.S. Using a Broker (A&A) is money well spent. The process has changed considerably in the last 5, or even 3 years. If you get ANYTHING wrong on the paper work, doing it yourself, you will surely start the process over again.
I just p/u another from Phoenix on Saturday. On the way down, we were detained for search and questions for about an hour. First time for me, and not a darn thing you can do about. The only thing that really annoyed me was my Timmy's got cold.
3 things: Paper work, Patience, Broker. Priceless. Lots of luck. Wink

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 7:45pm

That's what I'm looking at Vees down there cause no one up here will sell. Wink

Found one, just need to figure out logistics...

IP Logged

Lug
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 7:46pm

Thanks for the details though! Smiley

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 4:35am

Just got to ask Smiley

IP Logged

MikeP
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 1:34pm

I imported a race car from California last April and all that was needed was a Deed of Sales, original Advert with price of car and proof of payment.

Once they were satisfied that the car could never be made roadworthy, all they wanted was to collect the taxes.

Mike

IP Logged

Tedd
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 2:47pm

Or you could try what someone I knew years ago did with a Formula Vee:  list it on the paperwork as "lawn furniture."  Of course, it helped that he was importing it in pieces.

(Yeah, I know, Homeland Security and all that.  But this was years ago, and it really did work.)

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2012 at 12:36pm

Just a reminder to EVERYONE that is bringing a purpose built race car BACK into Canada......you MUST possess the ORIGINAL bill of sale to prove that the sale originated in CANADA and it is yours, or if the purchase was in the U.S. you must still have the bill of sale and the necessary import / export papers with it.
It would be in your "best" interest to declare the car before entering the U.S. and I believe the C.B.S.A. form # is E-15. This should make your return into Canada a lot smoother.
I was detained for 2 hours coming back into Canada, last Sunday morning......some say it was rookie day.....it was Mothers day......or it was just really early in the morning. None the less, it was "very informative". I have a lot of respect for these guys and gals, after all, they do wear kevlar vests. But bottom line is....they need to see proof that the vehicle is a CANADIAN vehicle, with all it's pertinent information. Otherwise, the ordeal could ruin a great race weekend just by crossing the border. And that shouldn't happen and can be prevented. Just saying my $.02

IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 4:53am

I'm now trying to bring in a purpose built race car from the US. The customes broker I am working with tells me I need either:
(1) Vehicle bears a label affixed by the manufacturer stating that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is registered exclusivly in closed-course competition (which I do not have since the car does not have a VIN).
(2) Vehicle is accompanied by a signed declaration indicating that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is registered for use exclusively in closed course-competition. This signed declaration must come from a racing sanctioning body.

Does anyone know how to go about getting a signed declaration? A couple of people have suggested it would be the SCCA log book (which I do have), is this correct? Has anyone else had to jump through this hoop?

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:52am

The SCCA logbook will have a couple of items which should prove useful:

1) a description of the vehicle with photos
2) there should be, on the last page, a list of owners (assuming that the information has been kept up)
3) If you have a sportsracer or a formula car, you should have received a copy of the SCCA homologation papers which identify the car.

All of the above are useful and helpful along with a signed and dated bill of sale.

IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:22am

I just got back from talking to the broker, it appears this is a fairly new hurdle, and was a problem for the Porsche cup cars crossing the boarder as well. No the log book won't do. The car I`m trying to bring across is a (Dillon) tube frame GT1 car.

I`m also bringing in a trailer with the car, I understand I need to get it inspected before I can insure it. Does anyone know somewhere near the Pacific crossing that can do the inspection.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:31am

Well, you definitely have a problem and I don't have anything further to offer.

Sorry about that.

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:06am

Pigpen wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:22am:
I`m also bringing in a trailer with the car, I understand I need to get it inspected before I can insure it. Does anyone know somewhere near the Pacific crossing that can do the inspection.

Any Canadian Tire store can do the inspection.
If its a brand new trailer with a VIN, its OK to use the US Temp. Permit to get it to the border. If you already know the VIN and other info on the trailer, see your ICBC agent to get a BC Temp Permit (before you go down) to get it to Canadian Tire after you cross over.
Can't help with the car though...

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:20pm

Thanks Larry,

Bob Williams phoned me and suggested I take the trailer to the Canadian Tire near me (Ironwood Mall in Richmond), since there is an ICBC express office right there.

Mike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print