Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying a purpose built race car from the States (Read 10,832 times)
Pigpen
Ex Member

Re: Buying a purpose built race car from the State
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:56pm

Since several people have asked I thought I should let everyone know that I have both the car and trailer in Canada now. Here are some tips that may be of help to others:
  • If it is a tube frame car that has a street car name in it (Camaro in my case) get a letter from a race official in the country of origin stating that it is a purpose built race car. This is because they will be wondering why there is no legit VIN to run a check on (to prove the car is not stolen). Michael Canatore (Conference Race Stuard) did the letter for me, it does help immensely if they are familiar with the car, but in my case a well used log book with photos of the car worked well.
  • Try and get the Log Book with a history of the car (it is a real pain in the ass regardless if you do not have the log book and IMHO you should get a real discount on any race car that does not have one).
  • Be absolutely sure that you have an original signed bill of sale with the correct serial number & log Book ID if there is one (Skip and I got sloppy on this one which caused some issues)
  • have photos of the car with its current paint colours - this is the one that turned the tide for me once I got to US customs. As soon as it was clearly an unregistered vehicle he didn't care and stamped the paperwork. Again he also saw the log book.
  • Next step is to report to Canadian and let them know you need to get your documentation from a broker (if you don't screw this up like I did it is easy) then report back to Canada Customs.

My screw up was with the trailer I was bringing across at the same time and getting into the wrong line up (use the commercial line when you have a broker - and do not misplace the yellow slip of paper they give you). Make sure you have all the documentation for a trailer, if it has a certificate of origin (my trailer was never registered so this is what I had) make sure the seller fills it out correctly and that it matches what is on the bill of sale. I'm still having a bit of a problem because I didn't notice that Skip put his company name on the Certificate of Origin and not on the bill of sale so I can't get it registered until I get a corrected signed bill of sale (this did not get picked up on until I went to register the trailer - customs and the trailer inspector did not pick up on it).  With luck I get the new bill of sale tomorrow and I can finish this off.

Thanks Cherie Storms at Pacific Customs Brokers for all your help on this.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print