Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comments on using a step van as a car hauler? (Read 2,390 times)
unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Comments on using a step van as a car hauler?
Jun 15th, 2011 at 6:44am

I've been trying to figure out a decent towing arrangement for the Vee.. Lots of options, lots of different prices, and of course, I don't know enough about anything to make up my mind.

At the moment, I tow the vee on an open trailer with my volvo wagon. It does OK getting to Mission, but I don't feel comfortable towing longer distances, really. I can't really fit everything I need (easily, at least..) on the back of the wagon, so I leave some stuff at home on Friday and take it with me Saturday morning. Also means I can't take the dog with me, no room in the back!

I thought about getting a bigger tow vehicle and keep using the open trailer:

I don't really need a truck for anything else and although you can fit a lot of stuff in the bed of a truck, it's not easily organized.. With a canopy, you can't walk inside the bed and pick things up, seems like it'd get annoying fast.

A van seems ideal - it would still tow the trailer easily, but it's easily organized in the back so I could keep everything inside in shelves/boxes and walk in to grab things. Plus if I get a decent cargo van, I can lock it up behind the house and leave most things inside between weekends. Maybe move the tools to the garage and leave the cheap spares, tires, tent, chairs, etc in the van.

Downside to the van is I'd still be towing an open trailer, so heading down to the states, especially longer trips like ORP or Portland where I might have to stay overnight somewhere, would suck. And at the moment, I can't afford a decent van and a decent enclosed trailer. Of course, I could buy the van now and upgrade the trailer later, but.. option #3 might work better - see below!

Option #3.. a nice step van popped up for sale a couple blocks from my house. I've been walking past this van for a year and thinking that it would be a great car hauler, and last night a 'for sale' sign was on the window. 89 Grumman body with a 92 chevy 350 engine, looks to be in decent shape and has the big wide roll up door in the back. It's a decent price and I could easily afford it right away. Seems ideal to me, build some long arse ramps, slap a winch inside and presto, instant tow vehicle. I believe it already has shelving in the back, and it's an 18ft box - more than enough for the car and a big work bench, plus room to sleep/rest, change clothes, etc. Seems perfect to me, but I've been known to miss obvious drawbacks with things before, so I'd love to hear some opinions.

Only thing I can think of is, it's a 24-25ft long vehicle. Which means I can't just un-hook a trailer and go shopping in my little van/truck, trips to Save on Foods will be limited or cumbersome, etc. But that may be compensated by not having to un-hook at all, ever. I'm really not a fan of towing things..

Sorry for the long post, but what do you guys think?

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Re: Comments on using a step van as a car hauler?
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 9:10am

Go for a van, it's the best compromise.
There's probably a reason why the step van has been parked there for a while. At least you can use the van for other activities, you're never going to use that step van for hardly anything other than going to races so there it sits rusting away yet still taking up mega space and expenses.
You don't like towing a single axle trailer with a vee on it ? Boy, you don't know how easy you got it !

IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Re: Comments on using a step van as a car hauler?
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 10:40am

I don't think it's been parked there not being used, I just see it at night when I walk the dog Smiley Good point though, I should make sure it hasn't been sitting for 10 years, but it doesn't look abandoned in any way.

I know I have it pretty easy towing a vee on an open trailer - it's just emotional scars from the trailer trying to run away from me the first time I took the vee to Mission on it hehe. It was just bad luck or noobness, but my arms get a decent workout from all the tension every time I'm towing the car.

I might regret saying this, but as of yet, other than transporting the race car or moving, I have never felt the need for a truck/van. I could never daily drive one, and my trusty volvo wagon has enough room to fit just about anything I've ever needed to transport. I may have thought once or twice a year 'wow, a truck would have made this so much easier' but realistically, a van would sit in the back just as much as a step van..

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print