Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Track Operations - A New Approach (Read 2,558 times)
Steve Hocaluk
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Track Operations - A New Approach
Jun 26th, 2011 at 9:31am

Hello to my racing family,

I am very honoured to have been selected by my peers and fellow racers to lead the Track Operations Committee for SCCBC.

As you know, I am quite new to the racing family.  Auto racing has always been in my blood, but it wasn't until I took driver training and got a taste for the action that I jumped in with both feet.  And for those of you who know me, jumping in with both feet is what I do.  I am an actions person.  When I see a need, or a job to be done, I give it everything I have until it's complete.

Since joining SCCBC last year, I have spent a lot of time listening to fellow members, track renters and basically everyone involved with our facility.  People tend to feel comfortable expressing themselves to someone new, who offers an ear.   During this time, there is one common theme that has become front and centre.  Lack of communication.

No matter what aspect of our lives, communication is the life blood.  Without communication, relationships, whether personal or business, struggle and often fail.  We are all members of this club and come out to the track because we love the sport and we enjoy being around others who do as well.

Friends, we have a communication problem.  There are so many great people who give their blood sweat and tears to the survival of this club, and our facility.  The problem is that these various people and groups are not all pulling the line in the same direction, at the same time.  This lack of communication is nothing new, and certainly isn't unique to our club.  I have been a business owner for may years and no matter how hard I have tried to have the most open of communication, it's a daily challenge to maintain it.

So how do we fix this?

In my experience, the only way this is improved, is to lead by example.  This is not something that will be fixed overnight, or in a week or a month.  It takes time to break the old habits and be proactive. We have so many great people that have so much more to offer to this club.  They just need to be encouraged to get involved and make their voice heard.

Until now, the various groups responsible for running our club and facility have not been working in unison.  Our President, Michael Lensen, has made it very clear that destructive activity will not be tolerated.  The same holds true for those involved with Track Operations.  Working shoulder to shoulder with the Executive Committee, Track Operations is is going to do their part to establish open, honest and constructive dialogue with META, E-Crew, CACC, ICSCC, VRCBC and even you, the casual racer.  This is my promise to you!

In the next few days, I will be contacting the various groups mentioned above, as well as the current members of the Track Operations Committee, to begin this era of open communication.  I want to hear from you.  Please feel free to speak your mind.  Know that what you say to me will be held in the strictest of confidence, if that is your wish.  I will also be regularly posting on this forum and it the Pit-Pass, letting you know of the various projects that need to be accomplished at the track and how you can help.

Friends, we are at a cross-roads.  There are basically two choices we all face.  The easy choice, and the most comfortable is to let things stay the way they are and risk losing our club and facility.  The hard choice, is for all of us to wipe the slate clean and bury the past.  Then work in unison with the volunteer or racer next to you and all do our part to take this club to the next level.  We have a chance to build something really great here, the choice is ours.

So are you ready to join me in this new approach?  I believe you are.  So lets get started!!

Sincerely,

Steve Hocaluk

Steve Hocaluk

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Re: Track Operations - A New Approach
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 4:36pm

Wow, that was refreshing!  Smiley Smiley

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

trackrat
Novice

eat,sleep, Race

Re: Track Operations - A New Approach
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 5:23am

Way to go Steve!! Im rolling up my sleeve's  Grin
Feel free to let me know where & when you need our help.

real racers turn right & left

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print