Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dan Wheldon crash reflections (Read 1,424 times)
Tim Rosche
Pro Circuit

Home of Road Racing in B.C.
Dan Wheldon crash reflections
Oct 22nd, 2011 at 5:40pm

Re: Dan Wheldon crash.
I could not bring myself to watch his accident Sad until Wednesday. Of course I had read many comments about it, but until you actually watch it, you do not realize just how horrific of a crash it was. My Dad watches all the INDY races, and he said it was one of the worst he has seen in recent years.
There were so many cars getting airborne and so much debris, it reminded me of when my 2 ½ year old son ‘crashes’ a pile of his Hot Wheels together. It was that chaotic!
I am actually surprised no one else was killed.

And at times like this, I think we all as racecar drivers/crew/family/friends/spectators, reflect back on crashes we have been in or witnessed.

Indy cars are among some of the safest in the world. They are purpose built and crash tested racecars. They have some of the best E-crew personnel in the world. And yet, as one local TV sportscaster put it, ‘every few years we lose a driver’.
It is inevitable? I suppose at that caliber of racing and at those speeds,  it is. Even with all the huge leaps in advanced safety,  that have been made in racing over the years.

So then I question our racing series and my own racecar. Of  course I/we are not going as fast as those cars, but we do not have safer barriers etc.
There is at least 2 more safety cage bars that I have been meaning to install for a few years. As well as a much safer seat that I got years ago.
So why have I not done those things? Time? Money?

I began to reflect yesterday, and I asked myself, do I feel safe when I strap myself into my racecar? I have a very new high quality safety harness, I have been using a HANS device for several years, and pushing to make them mandatory. And overall I feel pretty safe.
But  there is always more that you can do to make your car safer. At least I think so.
But where does it end? Does it end with your budget? Or your time to install safer things into your car.
What about when you rent a car from someone? Most of the time the owner/s are total strangers to you. I have been in several other race cars, and some I felt pretty safe in, some not so much. Do you feel safe in someone elses car?

Our track does not have very high speed sections, but what about other tracks like Seattle and Spokane? Do you feel safe at those speeds when your car is flat out in 5 th gear?
It is a real rush to run those higher speeds for sure. That is one reason why we love racing.
But what would happen if you blew a tire or got bumped into the wall at those speeds in your car?  Would you feel safe?  You could roll many times, cart wheel or even go end over end a few times. What about a big fire? Is your car up to that type of incident?

Never mind what the rules say about your roll bar thickness etc. I know all of our tech staff are very good,etc, but their job is only to make sure your car is within the safety rules. But is it safe enough that you feel comfortable? There is no rules saying you cannot make your car safer, so I say do it.
Do what you can, to make your car safer, so that you can race another day. If you feel you could improve it somehow, then what are you waiting for?

I always have told people who are interested in trying our sport, that they are much safer in a road race car, on a race track, then they are driving on the street.
Why? Because in a Road Race car you have a safety cage, personal safety gear like helmets and fire suits, E-crew, Corner workers warning us of hazards ahead, and even a Dr and Paramedics moments away from any incident. In your daily street car you only have your 3 point harness and maybe airbags in newer cars. And the paramedics could be 15 – 20 mins away after a crash. I tell them all of this because I believe Road Racing is safer than driving on the street. It is an argument they can use to convince their wife/girlfriend or husband /boyfriend that they should get into racing.
But many can argue that of course we are traveling at a much higher rate of speed etc. But at least we are all going the same way, no one is going to run a traffic light or stop sign in front of you on the racetrack.

And getting back to personal safety gear for a moment. I know we all can not afford or do not necessarily need the most expensive crash helmet, or fire suit, etc, but do you really feel safe in your current safety gear? Never mind if it is legal or within the dates of expiration or not. There are helmets that may be legal, but only cost $79. But is it really safe enough? Or more importantly is that what you value your head at? Would you honestly  feel safe in a inexpensive product like that? Maybe you do and that is your own personal preference. I just would like us all to think about these things, the next time you go racing.
And I will admit, once you have kids, you do tend to think about these things more. And I think as you get older, and have crashed a few cars, you certainly do too.

For what it is worth my two cents worth.
I have put off making those added changes,( the extra 2 roll bars and safer seat ) for the past 5 or so winters, so this year I am promising myself and my family, to get them done, before I arrive at the track next season.

Am I getting under your skin yet? Good. Then my plan is working

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Re: Dan Wheldon crash reflections
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 9:17pm

Well put and well done.

Thanks for that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print