Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions for first Tech Inspection on new car (Read 4,830 times)
Darwin
Novice

BC
Questions for first Tech Inspection on new car
Jan 29th, 2012 at 1:39pm

Hey Gang,

I'm prepping my first car for IP and have been reviewing the requirements (as opposed to recommendations) for safety gear.  I've got some questions on what I'll need to do to get the car approved.

These are the items I'm not sure about:

- general circuit breaker (not required for IP according to GCR appx V 4.D).
- tow hooks (not mentioned in appx V, are they discussed elsewhere?)
- window net (can arm restraints be used instead?)
- fire suppression (appx V 6.A states 'where require by class regulations' - is a fire extinguisher sufficient, or is a full suppression system required for IP?)

The cage is well underway, the seat is mounted & harness attachment points determined, I'll need to get a HANS device & then I should be good to go.

I'm planning on the above items, but may not be able to get everything done prior to the first race.

Also, if the circuit breaker is not strictly required for IP, if I do install one - can I put it in a (slightly) alternate but equally functional spot (on the cage just inside the window opening by the A-pillar instead of on the front fender (I don't have a cowl, and the fender doesn't wrap around much so a switch on the fender would actually stick out the side of the car)?

Thanks in advance for any input & advice!

Cheers,
Darwin.

CACC Senior | 99 Corvette FRC | IP1/GTO

IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Re: Questions for first Tech Inspection on new car
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 2:23pm

curcuit breaker ? HMMMM Maybe they they are talking about a main kill switch.  Never heard a kill switch called a curcuit breaker but I guess it is.

If thats what they are talking about then YES you will need one that is accessible from out side the car,  there are several IP and GT cars that have it attached to the cage just inside the window. Clearly marked !

Fire extnguishers of the correct size and A, B, C rating are OK for IP, but I would spend a bit more and buy the fire supression sytem

Pretty sure you will require a WINDOW NET !

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 3:38pm

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, the 'general circuit breaker' is the electrical kill switch from what I gather.  I'd be happy to put one on the cage just inside the window, if that would pass tech.  Good news.

Do you know what the correct size is for the fire extinguisher?

I'll start shopping for the window netting...

Cheers,
Darwin.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 4:25am

Darwin:

You will need a proper, approved window net, mounted in the correct method.

If you are racing in IP you don't necessarily need to have a fire suppression system (I'd have an AAAF foam system, myself), but it's a great idea. A 10 ABC fire bottle mounted on METAL BRACKETS (Note: METAL BRACKETS) should do the trick.

It is permissable to mount the Master Kill Switch (circuit breaker) as you describe. The driver must be able to reach it to activate (or deactivate) the electrical system. A second master switch for the driver might be a good idea. Make sure it does what it's supposed to do, which means that it's wired correctly.

Mike

IP Logged

TECHMAN
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing! It's safer

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 6:44am

CACC GCR has no exemption for IP cars class regarding a master switch.
Tow hooks are in appendix V.11
You must have a window net. Appendix V.5 covers this.
A fire extinguisher is required for all new IP class cars as these cars must be built to the current SCCA IT prep rules.  I see no ".A' in appendix V.6
Remember your roll cage must be an eight point cage plus the dashboard level bar.
Are you using the 2011 CACC rules? Please read the available 2011 CACC rules. I can only find some of the wording you are quoting in some pre 2011 CACC rule books. Things have changed.

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:42am

Thanks for the input, guys!

I hear from Steve that the cage design/progress has been favourably reviewed - good stuff!

And, I'll swing by Driver's Edge and see Frank this week about the other equipment needs.

The pieces are coming together...

Cheers,
Darwin.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:04pm

You might try directing any serious enquiries to either myself or Jim Kurtz directly.

I had a chat with Steve Hudson this morning and there's a few issues which you'll need to address.

michael_currie@telus.net for me, or j.kurtz@shaw.ca for Jim.

IP Logged

Darwin
Novice

BC
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:23pm

Will do, Mike - thanks!  Yes, Steve called me this morning and we talked about the items you'd mentioned.  I'll give you a ring tomorrow before shopping for any more stuff...

Cheers,
Darwin.

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:46pm

Use my e-mail. You'r more likely to get an answer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print