Send Topic Print
BCHMR (Read 20,677 times)
Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

BCHMR
Aug 10th, 2012 at 8:39am

This had to be the hottest racing i have ever seen  in 25 years of racing in the northwest the temp was over the top for car/driver and spectator.
It was great to see the paddocks jammed with race cars again.
Bob Williams has earned bragging rights on how to get a group to get involved ie FV and put on a great show. Maybe  we can take a page from his book get get so of the other class ie FF to get together and put on a good show and have some great racing.
Thanks to Tom Johnston Stanton Guy and all the volunteers for a geat Event
Alan Grin

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Re: BCHMR
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 10:05am

Thanks Allan.....but there is a lot of experience in the FART camp that makes it possible......Scott, Jennifer, Graham, Adam (really made it happen for all of us this past w/e) Pam, Gayle, all of our sponsors.....but mostly, all the competitors. That's why we do this isn't it? No national championship at stake, no money, just good food, good friends, some swag, some braggin rights, which BTW will go to someone else next year Wink I like Dennis and the Pos's but hell....we need local talent next year EH?
For the VEE group of racers and family....we had a GREAT time.
If the CCGP doesn't go again.....how about 24 FF? There's enough around.....just have to ask.....
Thanks again BCHMR for the weekend....it was awesome.

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

unxetas
Pro Circuit

Volvooo!

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:20am

Don't worry about Dennis and the Posners, I'll be winning the race next year. Not sure if I count as "local talent", but it's better than nothing, eh? Smiley

-Tiago Santos

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 7:02am

Maybe you can share some of that experience with with us ie FF group. I agree it is a team effort and it takes more than one person to make it happen but it also takes a team leader to rally  the troops.

Historic events have always been a lot of fun because it's all about the great show that is put on and the freinds you get hang out with (one big party all weekend). As you said there is no championships on the line. I hope we can make next year even better and the only way that can happen is if everyone gets involve promting the event and encouraging there buddies to get thier cars out in stead of just gathering dust.

Alan

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 7:26am

While I agree with both sentiments, I have a sneaking supicion that, with the advent of "The Ridge", the calendar is going to get crowded.

In order to make the event popular it will be necessary to make it really, really user friendly and a lot of fun. Having a specific highlighted race group is a great idea. If the CCGP falls on hard times due to lack of enthusiasm, why not approach Chris Doodson and ask him to bring all the HONDA guys? That would provide an in to the HONDA club (it does when we have one of these at the CACC events).

Somethink like a FV race, a HONDA race and vintage cars would provide a really nice mix for a race weekend.

Mike

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 11:09am

Not what i would want to see at a HMR event. I think we need to see some of the purpose bui Grinlt cars coming out of moth balls and be displayed and raced again before they are lost for ever ie FF Sportracers and so on thats what  the spectators want to see. Its a show of great looking and well prepared cars. Spectators expect to see cars you don't see every day that's what keeps them coming back.

Alan

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 5:41am

Sorry I missed the show, sounds like you guys had some fun. I know that Bob always tries very hard to enjoy his events thoroughly, something that we shared many times at Barnes Lake years ago.

Maybe there are still some older GT and Production cars around, like GT4 & 5, F, G & H Production that could build an interesting race group. I think Westwood 5o tried that but didn't get much traction. Has to be a few small-bore, not-quite-vintage but no-longer-current race cars parked in garages or under tarps. I remember and enjoyed that group years ago at Westwood, with the staggered starts - H-Prod. first, then G and then F and ending up all together at the finish.

Anyway, my 2 cents... Undecided

IP Logged

bunracer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 5:54am

Lorne, do you happen to know of any small bore cars that might fit that bill ?   Grin I bet you do ! I'd go to see that.

IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:10am

There are some older cars out there that I'm aware of, however the owners are not willing to pull them out of mothballs for just one event a year. I expect the eligibility for running the REVS series to loosen up a bit over the next few years, at that point I think it will be worth the effort of the owners of these gems to get these cars out of mothballs.

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:23am

bunracer wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 5:54am:
do you happen to know of any small bore cars that might fit that bill ?   Grin I bet you do ! I'd go to see that.

Yeah Paul, I'm stuck in the past just like the rest of us. I'm still hoping that sometime before all of the gasoline and oil are used up to put a whole season on the track.

Maybe the vintage crowd can adopt something like the mid 70's GT/Production car classes with a cut off up to, say, mid '80's? I'm not sure where a jumping off point could be but it would be better to start now. No point waiting another year or two, we'll all be dead!

My father used to say "If your name isn't in the obit notices, it's a good day" I miss him Cheesy

BTW Paul, how MUCH would you be willing to pay?

IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:50am

I would love to see a mid 80's cut off for all weekends that there are vintage races (not just the BCHMR) - 1985 would be great, especially if it allowed former Trans Am/IMSA cars. The REVS rules would still give a points advantage to the older less modified classes which can be driven to and from the track, and I personally have no problem with that. Opening up the rules to allow for older Improved Production cars (which would allow old DRC Datsun 510's - and there are still a few of them around) would do a lot to increase grids (although there will be a year or so lag time as people bring these dusty relics up to current safety standards and do general clean up work). Of course most VRCBC members know why I have that bias.

Mike

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:58am

HaHa! Yes, I'm with you on that! My car is now over 30 years old but somehow isn't "vintage" for race purposes.  The times, they need to be changin'...

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 7:40am

This reminds me of the the days  when i would hire new sales reps they would go out on sales calls and after a couple of weeks they are the experts on how we should be running the company and market the products.
The problem was they hadnt produced a dime in income in that time. If they had taken the time to see what made  the company and the other salesmen succeed then maybe they would have succeeded.
Vintage isn't just about the age of the vehicle it's also about the restoration preservation and appearence of that vehicle.
SCCA has a vintage group they dont seem to care what
mods you make or the condition of the the appereance.
The last run at seattle they only had 3 cars sign up i wonder why that would be.  ???

Alan

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 8:00am

I have to agree with Alan. The various vintage racing groups, (VRCBC, SOVREN, HSMA, CSRG, VARAC and others) have specific details upon which they decide if something is "vintage". SCCA's requirement, which is mainly an effort to increase their entries at the regional level, is only a time issue (in their case I believe 25 years).

One needs to study what the participants in these other groups are doing to be able to accurately interpret what's happening. 

Their philosophy may not be the same as yours.

IP Logged

Sign_Guy
Senior Racer

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:21am

Gee Alan and Mike, I hope you aren't upset that I responded to this post. I'm not sure how to interpret the statement about salesmen off somewhere not earning anything. Part of anything succesful is promotion as well as product. And like everything else time marches on. Perhaps the fledgling SCCA 'vintage' participants might participate if they were encouraged & enlightened rather than not.

My biggest problem, and I will be the first to admit it, is that I just haven't made the time to get the car out to the track. I was hoping there would be a place in the local vintage arena for my car, with it's 1982 & 1983 Canadian runoffs history and FIA homolgation papers. Oh well, my bad.

???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print