HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BCHMR (Read 20,678 times)
bunracer
Ex Member

Re: BCHMR
Reply #30 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:02am

Wow  Shocked Guess I got in the middle of something I'm still not sure I understand. Guess I will just hang onto this stuff (as nobody is offering me any cash for it right now anyway) and hope that things get clearer as I get closer to that day when I want to get involved in vintage stuff. If that happens. Remember it's supposed to be fun too.

IP Logged

Bob_Williams
Pro Circuit

SMILE !!!!  Life is a
BLAST!!!  lUVYABYE

Canada
Reply #31 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:50am

Are you saying then I shouldn't wait for the cheque in the mail...... ???
All this time I was told there would be $$$ Kiss

Winning isn't everything......but making the effort too, is!
IP Logged

Pigpen
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 1:32pm

Paul, you got my point - I'm not entirely sure Alan did. In reality the rules have been evolving and will continue to do so, by the time you are ready one of your cars will more than likely be eligible. The rules do come up for review from time to time and they are determined more or less by the membership. I expect a rolling rule to come into effect, however it would likely end up being in the 30 to 40 years of age range. Current rules are closely tied to the FIA rules of the day - which do not necessarily reflect what was actually raced in our region (for all intensive purposes Westwood). The BCHMR is completely separate from the REVS - this is what gets confusing to many. Keith and Alan both make valid points, cars should show pride of ownership.

If you saw my Camaro as it ran in the CCGP (and I was told that in fact I could have run it in the BCHMR) you would know I have a lot of work to do to get it to that level of appearance however I do expect to get a lot of the sheet metal replaced over the winter. In fact I have no problem with the expectation that the car appear clean and respectable. But my car is an old Trans AM car and any restoration I do will be to bring it back to what it would have been when it first started to race. Because of some of the idiosyncrasies of the rules for Trans Am cars I would not expect this particular car to ever be acceptable to REVS, then again that is not where the value in this car is.

If you truly are interested in racing in Vintage at some point join the VRC, you will find that we really are a fun bunch in spite of our disagreements (although I will need to buy Alan and Keith a beer at the next meeting after this). We are about the preservation of vintage race cars and vintage cars in general. However to vote on the rules you do need to be a holder of a vintage race licence, so if you do want to affect change you do need to 'put your money where your mouth is'. More important, body contact in vintage racing is really frowned upon, so all your efforts in getting your car cleaned up (even to the garage queen status) is worth it because it is relatively easy to keep it there.

IP Logged

RSRacer
Pro Circuit

winning isn't eveything
but losing sucks..

Reply #33 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 4:00pm

What????? no body contact?  That counts out the Honda Paul, as we all know Hondas bounce off of any vehicle within 10 feet. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Keith Robinson
International License

I RACE;THEREFORE I AM!

Reply #34 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 11:01pm

I sat in at a VRC meeting a few years ago and I heard the no contact rule.
I said "so if I'm having a great race, maybe even leading (this was a hypothetical situation Roll Eyes) and some one runs into me or spins (I was thinking of one Mr. Stec) in front of me and I clip him, then I have to come into the pits?" Yes I was told, that is the VRC way.
Well I love a lot of the cars these guys 'race' but it will be a year or ten before I'm ready for that gentlemanly competition Smiley!

1997 Kodiak Fox Formula Ford.
1986 CRX GTU/Ice racer.

IP Logged

evo5_mat
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #35 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 6:27am

I'm always amazed how you guys over the pond treat vintage as something special like cant be touched etc, Like the no contact rule etc, a race car is a race car its there to be raced and at sometime there will be contact or crashed. I saw last year when a Mclaren can-am car was racing at full speed, crashed and wheels ended up in driver area, or f1 cars bang and both crash. Yes these are pricesless cars but people in europe race the buggars off them, even faster  than when they were brand new in some cases of the classes here.

With the rules etc, again I don't see how you guys are so regimental on stuff, I was looking at the silverstone classic grids and to be honest make Monteray race week look like a mission weekend, you had classic pre 66 f1 cars, formula 500 & f2 race, master series g1, master sportcars etc but on the same weekend you have historic group C and touring cars race for sunbeam talbots to ford sierra cosworths all mixed into 1 race.
I remember when i was over was talking to the vintage chairman and mentioned about a race series called thundersaloons, now these were highly modified cars (ie one car had a Porsche 962 engine put into a sierra cosworth  body) in the 80's & 90's done by amateurs for a 1 hour race with driver changes. This has now been created into a historic series again with all the old cars being put into various categories but paying public love this series and people want to see the cars racing fast etc, some people might know the name late Gerry Marshall and the car called "big bertha" that car racing in it but this car would not be likely racing in what you guys have now, but it even gets invited to Goodwood festival each year

IP Logged

Alan_McColl
Senior Racer

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #36 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 4:03pm

We have NASCAR if that's what you like to see (crash & burn) type racing. I don't think anyone this side the pond beleives they will be the next Senna so there is no need to destroy what we have just to entertain the the spectators.
You can watch NASCAR on speed almost 24/7 to get your kicks.
Alan

IP Logged

evo5_mat
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #37 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 5:01pm

never said anything about liking crashes and burn, you miss understood what i was saying. Racing cars are for racing, over there seems to be a liking too parading historic  racing cars not racing the cars. Here I would say they get to there full potential as the owners see them as just a racing car not its worth, ie $400,000 untouchable toys etc etc
Even if you destroy something most things can get fixed and racing is a entertainment, always has been. Public want to see action (that doesnt mean crashes just so you know) the speed, noise and most cases not single classed racecars of the modern era. They can also see a parade at mardi gras not at vintage meeting.

As for Senna, well met him alot of times and chatted and saw him race through the ranks in the uk and there definately been probably drivers ive seen, also met that I rank in a similar mould since his death, a couple who might in time surpass him.

Luckily we dont have nascar here  so its fine thanks, although i appreciate the skill of a nascar driver

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print