Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
The Sports Car Club of BC

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
STO Class ??? - C4 Corvette (Read 3,608 times)
dan_t
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
STO Class ??? - C4 Corvette
Sep 3rd, 2012 at 3:19pm

Hi guys,
having put this off for a couple of years now I'm wanting to get a winter project prepared and I'm in need of some advice.

I have a 1984 and a 1985 Corvette. Both need major work and restoration. I was hoping to build one for a class that is active at the Rivers Edge.

As far as I understand it nearly all classes that this car could be eligible for have the same basic safety requirements so that's a positive and where I hope to start.

Having looked through the SCCA rule book I would have assumed that I would be best to use the 1985 and shoot for STO but as far as I can tell that's not a recognized class in canada? The 1984 Corvette is only listed in ITR and I almost feel that making this car "stock-like" is going to be more work than modified.

Any advice as to where I should go from here?

I'm only in the very early planning stages right now and I understand that I will have to go through the driver training and novice sessions before being in a classed group but I may as well build it right from the beginning.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2012 at 9:51pm by dan_t »  

IP Logged

ReEntry Racer
International License

If it has wheels, we'll
race it...

Abbotsford BC
Re: STO Class ??? - C4 Corvette
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 8:41pm

Well, the "preparation" rules for a CACC car are taken directly from SCCA but the classes are not.  It is confusing, especially in the older cars that don't get listed in the SCCA rules. A simple answer is to prepare the C4 in either Improved Production 1 (IP1) or in Grand Touring 1 (GT1).

If you have the time/money/ambition you may want to spend it on GT1 because it allows more flexibility in various future racing endeavours. I built our first Camaro for IP1 which was less work and money, but when I built the next car, I decided to go GT1 because it allowed me the latitude to optimize the car the way I wanted, as well as more safety due to the fuel cell, fire system, etc. GT1 is considered the 'standard' for V8 cars in almost all racing organizations and therefore your car will qualify to race almost anywhere (NASA, ICSCC, SCCA).

The downside to GT1 is that unless you REALLY throw money into removing weight and increasing the power and handling, the lighter purpose-built tube-frame cars will always be quicker than your production-based one.

I'm sure others will have their input for you here too...
(Check the classes my car in legal for in my signature below)

1982 Pontiac Trans Am SCCA GT1 & ITE   CACC GT1 & GTO ICSCC GT1 & SPO & ST
2001 SLP Trans Am Firehawk
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier
reentry.racer  
IP Logged

Doodson
International License

Doodson

BC , Canada
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 8:41pm

You will need to look at CACC rules and that car would fit into :

IP1 - Stock class with a few mods

GTO - very quick class with alot more mods and safety requirements

IP Logged

dan_t
Spectator

Road racing, not street
racing!

BC
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 9:44pm

Just been having another look (who needs sleep right?) and stumbled across IPE. It looks as if this would give me the option to run my already built motor / trans combination.

Any thoughts on that one?

Getting up to GT1 specs is going to over stretch the budget at the moment at least.

IP Logged

ryano
Pro Circuit

Road racing, not street
racing!

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:00am

I would suggest looking at a class where there are like cars running so you have someone to race against.

Classes at Mission can sometimes have only 5-6 cars at best unless it is IP3 (hondas), PRO3 (BMWs) or Miatas (SM).

Decide on the goal that you have for yourself an the car.  Some people are about the build and they don't care if they are in a class of one and just like to run the car they built, maybe with someone to race.  Others seek to build a car that fits in a class where there are more people, trading off what you can do to the car for the competition. 

At Mission its brakes, brakes, brakes choose something where you have options in that department.   The GTO rules allow for the most flexibility.

Ryan

IP Logged

Mike_the_Oldest
International License

B.C.
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:23am

Your idea of ITE seems practical. There are a number of cars running in that class already although this is the first year for the class. The class is also run in different guises in SCCA and ICSCC (it may not be called ITE is what I'm saying).

Not to put down adivce from other quarters, but you might save yourself some confusion if you direct your question(s) to myself (michael_currie@telus.net) or Jim Kurtz (SCCBC Chief Tech Inspector). We are the tech guys and may be able to provide quick answers. And, neither of us race so we have no favouritism.

Mike Currie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print